a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ronstan Blocks for main and jib halyard

Started by MacGyver, June 10, 2012, 06:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Anyone replace these things with something else?
Today the damn things on my boat started to loose bearing material...... now they are rough and all that you wouldnt want them to do.........

I am pondering what to replace them with, probably Harken, but that base plate has me stuck since I dont want to mess with that just yet....

What has anyone else done with these things?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

I was saddened that no one had a idea.... :(   
not a problem. In a few days i might have it solved.
i ordered some Harken sheaves that matched the size. They have contained bearings. Look like they will fit.
plan is to drill the dished in side of the rivet and push the pin out. Replace with a clevis pin or bolt or something that will be a shaft for it to sit on.
If this does work......ill have pictures.... if not....well then time for plan b which will be harken blocks fitted to work with pad eye and the spring.
lets hope the sheaves work out

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

The harken blocks worked out along with a 7/8 clevis pin SS and a SS cottter pin carefully wrapped completely around the pin to keep from snags.

One of them I had to use a 1 inch pin, got tired of trying to get the tightness of the 7/8 to work (and it is tight!)

Will have pics and a write up in here soon!
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Using a 3/8th drill bit I drilled the center pin indent out then used a smaller bit to help drill the edges to fanagle the pin out. The pin is 1/4 inch.
I replaced the Sheave with a Harken Sheave, then I replaced the pin with a Clevis pin, 7/8 long, 1/4 inch size.
You can also use a 1 inch long. The 7/8 is a tough fit, but it works, just tight.
Also you need a cotter pin to lock it down, I wrapped mine all the way around the pin to ensure a snaggless install.
They work really well, outstanding really. This way I also didnt have to change deck bases, or buy any really expensive hardware, etc. In a sense I have Harken gear now.

Jason
-Alaine Gerbault.

ribbed_rotting_rusting

Neat post, I have wondered how to deal with these. Thanks MJC

MacGyver

It doesnt look like I have posted the Harken part number.
I will see if we have them in the store and I will get that number for you.

They (in my opinion) worked a hell of a lot better than the originals.
And I never caught the lines on anything or had any issue with sails catching etc.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

"...for main and jib halyard..." ?? The 1996 blocks leading to the rope organizer and rope clutch are fine...no problem. No replacement needed.

skip.

MacGyver

On mine they were acetyle plastics so they are in decent shape.
The rope clutch is a old style where it is all aluminum I believe and has no issues that I can see.

They did lock the lines without issue this year.
The deck organizer might get a refit this winter.....I am still pondering what all we are going to do to it as far as upgrades.....

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.