a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Starting the "new" interior

Started by crazycarl, June 10, 2012, 12:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Wife says it's too hot to work outside today.  Hmmm...that means the afternoon is freed up to work on the inside of the boat!

I've decided to remove the interior and start from scratch.  (not enough storage for my long trips) I want to mount the 2 deep cycle batteries in front of the compression post, and add more storage.  I'll have to remove the foam under the V-birth.  I really don't think it would prevent the boat from going down, when I presented this idea to Rich Hutchins, he said it was there for structural reasons. 
I'll fill in all the dead air spaces with foam when I'm done.  I plan to install shelves along the cabin sides for small items.  The quarter births will remain, but a fold down back rest would be nice for those times when I'm stuck inside "riding the storm out".  A deep square sink is on the list, along with a permanent self draining cooler in the port cockpit locker.  The anchor locker will be reglassed and sealed to prevent any water from entering the bilge.  A small through hull is to be installed at the bow for this drainage. 

I'm seriously thinking of removing the concrete and reinforcing the inside keel walls before adding lead shot.  This will free up space for a waste holding tank.  Some thing I'll need in the North Channel.   I'll have to research this one before I start.  A bit intimidating.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

Carl, let me know what you figure out on the lead shot Idea, and PLEASE take pictures as you go!

I am planning on doing stuff like you said at some point, would be nice to know what I am digging into before I dig in :)

Plus it is always cool to have pictures of the work you have done to your boat..... We show what pictures we have so far and people are like WOW...... all we did was clean it really well!  :)   Confidence booster!  :)

Good luck Carl!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.