a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trouble posting profile photo

Started by mike gartland, June 09, 2012, 09:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike gartland

In the distant past I had a profile pic which disappeared several years ago and I haven't been able to replace it.  I keep getting an error message stating: "Your attachments upload directory is not writable.  Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved".  I am using a Mac running OS-X (Snow Leopard) and the photo is a standard jpeg image of 92 KB.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
WindRush CP 23-3
Mike23

MacGyver

I have the same issue actually, and get the same message.....

Windows 7, and the file size of mine was a bit bigger at 1.2MB, but I figured it would resize automatically for me......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

JTMeissner

Mike, Mac, have you tried the URL option by linking your avatar picture from either the Photobucket site or your own web space?  That's how I put a picture in, I haven't tried the upload option.

The admins will have to post a solid answer, but here's a geeky guys conjecture: the upload portion of the site is in a directory where normal users do not have write access.  This would explain the error message being received.

One of the reasons for showing folks how to link from Photobucket is so that this site does not have to become a repository for the photos, and therefore may save in bandwidth and operating costs.  Imagine if we all uploaded and stored our photos in the CPYOA space, geeksworkshosting might have an issue.  Moving files to a free (ad supported) site with just links keeps the overhead down.

Another piece is the forum software itself, from Simple Machines, and how it handles user accounts.  Keeping the files locked out from most of us ensures we don't mess around with things we may not understand, regardless of intent. 

Bob23's new member fees notwithstanding, I absolutely think I get my money's worth from this forum.  Remember what it was like last week when they needed downtime for an upgrade (a little warning ahead of time, please!).  And the cordial nature and lack of spam and other net grunge is much appreciated.

Thank your admins, and please give the Photobucket option a shot.  I've successfully posted, added pictures, and replied to PMs with computers at work running XP, a Snow Leopard Mac at home, and even from the iPad I'm typing on right now.  Pretty amazing that it works as well as it does.  Willing to help if these instructions don't work: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5026.msg35189#msg35189

-Justin

Salty19

Justin is correct on all accounts.

One must upload their profile avatar, as well as any pictures posted to the forum, onto a photo hosting site (such as Photobucket, Flickr, google images, etc)--then link/paste the URL of the photo to the profile photo in your profile.  Once you do a couple of times, it's pretty easy.

Indeed we (Tim Gardner, CaptK, Bob23 and myself) work hard to keep the spammers off the forum.  We do several checks and inspections of new user registrations before allowing folks in-some automated, some manual.  As 4 out of 5 registrations attempts are spammers--it's not something we take lightly and try our best for a 100% no-spam member list. 

With this said, we owe a special debt of gratitude to CaptK as he is the one bearing the burden of costs and heavy lifting with software upgrades.  Considering costs of websites include things like:  bandwidth, software, memory, processing, power, cooling, hard drive space, data center costs, access costs (connectivity to the ISP)--this site is by no means "free" to operate.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

mike gartland

HOORAY!

It works!  Thanks for all the help...you can finally see how WindRush looks when she's enjoying a good breeze.  The most amazing thing is that a geezer like myself can still follow a few instructions...contrary to the "old dog and new tricks" adage.  Thanks again.

Mike
CP 23/3 WindRush
Mike23