a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

kick-up rudder line length?

Started by noonmark, June 08, 2012, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noonmark

The boat is new to me and did not come with one. While it would be easy to figure this one out myself, I would end up buying a line much longer just to be "safe". I wanted to see what others thought of as the ideal rudder line length. . Also, what is the diameter? Thanks

I have been meaning to do a big "before and after" post one of these days, once its in the water I'll make sure to share some pictures.
Hoping to launch Sunday...
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

MacGyver

We got our 19 this year and it didnt have a lot of the lines.
rudder was one..... so i used 5/16. Braid not 3 strand
it is long enough so when rudder down i could still tie it comfortably to the stern stancion rail. I tie directly above it right in the middle. That way it works as a safety in cas the bolt comes out or something..... then i tie it off there when i raise the rudder so no growth can grow between uses.

I can measure mine later for actual length. I just shortened it some as what i did have was too long.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

noonmark

Thanks, not sure I would have thought of that. That's exactly why I wanted to post a question such as this: as simple as it is to take an educated measurement  it is impossible to foresee how else this line is stored or used since I have yet to sail the boat. I would be very interested in the length since West Marine is closer to home than the boat is.
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

MacGyver

We had to sail today and use the Jib (we used it once before and scared us both since it was the first time use and first time sailing, so we hid it in garage, and today everyone said GO USE THE JIB!  Worked great!)

SO ANYWAY!  The length I have is about 6.5 feet. I would go 7 feet and call it good, no longer than that, I had it longer and believe me there will be enough lines all around in the cockpit.......

I tied a square knot in the rudder blade end, and then run it up through the jam cleat, and up to stern rail, that is where I tie it off, either when the blade is raised or down, just enough line to tie it off real good.

Hope that helps, and dont forget it is 5/16

A added bonus and to make it simpler on my wife and I when at dock, i get down and loosen the rudder, my wife lets the line down, then I tighten the rudder up, reverse the situation (wife still running the line though) and the rudder blade is back up in position.
This saves from you having to get up and down to tighten and loosen that damn bolt and run the line up, etc.
hope that made sense.......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.