a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SMALL ELEC GEN SAFETY ISSUE?

Started by MKBLK, June 01, 2012, 04:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

I am thinking of taking along a small 1000 watt gasoline generator as auxilliary backup power for my trolling motor should the battery die and there not be enough sun for the PV panel. I'm a bit leery about stowing it in the cabin or would it be okay in the lazerette? Hate to go boom! Don't smoke, but do have an ELECTRIC trolling motor!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Greene

Unless you have a means of letting the gas fumes that will escape and settle in the lowest spot in your cabin get out, I wouldn't even consider it.  Why not just carry a small back up battery?  It would probably weigh the same or less and be much safer to have aboard.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Marty:
   I'm gonna go Greene on this one. You might not even smell the gas fumes but turning on a light could be just enough spark to send you to Compac Heaven. Hey, if you go can I have your Volvo?
   I don't even carry spare gas cans in my boat. They are lashed forward between 2 stanchions.
I'm very cautious when it comes to blowing myself up.
Stick around, M.
bob23

MKBLK

Good advice from all! I am no longer thinking about using the genpac. With a group 27 deep cycle marine battery and my heavy duty power pack, I should be able to deal with any normal
situation that may come up within a few miles of shore.

Only about a week ago, a local fellow blew himself up while repairing a fuel pump at a local marina!

Marty K.

Update: Completed the electrical work for auxillary power. A group 27 deep cycle battery is
now located in a Minn Kota Power Center just forward of the compression post. Cables run astern
to a plywood mounting platform, sitting on the scupper tubes, that holds the bilge pump and a
pair of + - studs for the electric motor. Also, installed an emergency battery cut-off switch...

just in case!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch