a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Motor Purchase Online?

Started by gfspencer, May 16, 2012, 02:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfspencer

Has anyone ever purchased an outboard from OnlineOutboards or OutboardSales?  The two websites have the same physical address in Tennessee.  That seems odd.

Is there another online place that you would recommend?

wes

Suggest you call Defender. Although they don't list the prices in their catalog or on the web site, they are a huge distributor of outboards and will probably give you competitive prices. They are a very reputable company with great customer service. I have been buying from them for several years, both standard and special order items, and have never been disappointed. An outboard is a big purchase, and I would be willing to pay a little more for a company that will stand behind the product and promptly correct any shipping or warranty issues that might come up.

I think of Defender as being similar to Amazon - not the absolute cheapest price available on the internet, but way cheaper than retail stores with excellent service to boot.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

SpeakEasy

Shipping costs would have to be a nightmare on an outboard.

-Speak

wes

I'll bet that's true if you're ordering the 350 HP Yamaha I was looking at in the local boat store last week :). Sailboat motor not so much - ships by truck, not UPS.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rdcvsmith

I purchased mine from Defender, but being that I also live here in CT with Defender I had to pay my due percentage to my state government ...... You out of state guys don't have to pay sales tax! ...this might off set some of the shipping costs

-Ray

skip1930

"Ships by truck" and you'll pay for the whole pallet size regardless of weight. Shipping will kill the 'deal'.

skip.

gfspencer

Quote from: SpeakEasy on May 16, 2012, 08:31:50 PM
Shipping costs would have to be a nightmare on an outboard.

-Speak
Shipping is "free".  I know.  I know.  They include the shipping costs in the cost of the motor but the prices are still reasonable.

Floridagent

[First time post for this new user.]  I just ordered a Tohatsu 4hp 4-cycle motor from them on a Monday afternoon.  I received the email confirmation in about an hour.  The order process was a little strange in that just the engine is ordered and then when the confirmation arrives you add any other items or options you want.  They told me that the one company sells the engines and the other handles the parts -- but they coordinate all.  When I got the email verification I asked that they install the charging kit and added the external tank and hose.  All arrived in the original engine shipping box on Friday via FedEx Ground.  And the shipping was free.

I called around for local prices here in central Florida and no one came close to their prices.

I just finished installing the engine and wiring for the charging circuit yesterday before the rains from Beryl started hitting us here.  I won't know if everything works until next weekend when we splash our Sunday Cat for the first time.  Being a novice sailor, I want the winds to be light for our shakedown cruise on Lake Eustis.

It will take some time to know, but I am curious to see what kind of job the 5 amp alternator will do to keep the battery topped up.
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

crazycarl

I purchased my 4hp long shaft Tohatsu from Online outboards in the fall of '09.  The shipping was FREE.  No problems at all.  After an accident, I needed to replace the fitting where the gas line connects because I broke it.  Again, no problem with ordering or receiving it.  The delivery was very fast.  I received my o/b the same week I ordered it.

Carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Pat McL

I just finished installing the engine and wiring for the charging circuit yesterday before the rains from Beryl started hitting us here.  I won't know if everything works until next weekend when we splash our Sunday Cat for the first time.  Being a novice sailor, I want the winds to be light for our shakedown cruise on Lake Eustis.

Where are you launching in Lake Eustis? Suzy and I have been sailing here in our CP 16/1 since 1976 - it's a great sailing lake. I would suggest Buzzards Beach, ( wind really goes wacky just as you get to the point of the launching cove) and watch for the power guys, as most don't have a clue re sailboats - Some of the pontoon dudes are old enough to have shaken hands with Moses. If you power through the Dead River to Lk. Harris, be sure that the mast height from water is less than 23 ft, as that is the clearance to the 441 overpass. I am a bit envious as we missed the real season this year. Quad by-pass put a real kink in the works, I can now lift the mast etc, but it's starting to get too hot for comfort. Love to see your boat, when are you going to dunk her?   --- Pat

Floridagent

We sailed the Sunday Cat from the SR441 ramps for the first time Sunday June 3rd.  She floated off the trailer perfectly.  The Tohatsu we bought online started on the very first pull -- ran like a champ -- and started again on the first pull for the return to the ramp.  I was thankful there was virtually no wind as I could take my time raising the mast and sails.  Raising the MasTender Plus with the mechanical advantage of the pulley system was a piece of cake once we sorted the halyards from the sheets and other lines.  It was sweet!

Monday, we were out again in the same place.  This time 5-10 mph winds gave us an opportunity see how she ran.  Due to heavy rains every day of the week during our "stay-cation" we were not able to launch again until Sunday the 10th.  That day we had 5 - 15 mph winds with enough gusts to scare this novice sailer.  But, we were out for about 4 hours and sailed the length of Lake Eustis.  Thoroughly enjoyed it!  She feels so solid yet is swift enough to get somewhere.

I can see where some form of lazyjacks would be a big help -- particularly if I go out solo.  Trailering was pretty easy -- no need for a tongue extender on this recently re-built ramp at least.  As easy as it was to trailer, Dockmasters of Lake County is working on the addition of a covered slip and lift to our guesthouse dock.  More soon... and some pictures to come.
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")