a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hitch extension

Started by Tim Gardner, April 30, 2012, 06:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

I ran across this in my "sailing folder" and thought I'd share this idea for a hitch Tongue extension:

Hope you can read it Okay.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

vdrakh

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

capt_nemo

At 150% I can read it fine. Thanks a lot.

capt_nemo

rmotley

I watched a guy launch his sailboat in Oriental, NC last fall - used 2-20' nylon straps (not sure of the load limit on these straps but they were stout) with hooks on both ends - backed the trailer down to the waterline, blocked both wheels with chock blocks, unhooked the truck from the trailer (Trust factor is important here), pulled the truck forward, hooked both straps to the trailer / truck, pulled the trailer forward (using the straps) to release the chock blocks and then backed the trailer into the water until the boat floated off the trailer.  He advised that loading is the reverse - didn't see it but it makes sense.  Not sure of the total cost of the straps but I am sure Tractor Supply or Fastenal or parts stores of the same would have these in stock.  I haven't needed this yet - but it was simple and seems most of us could master this once we got past the unhooking the trailer part.  Just saying - cheap and easy is good!

skip1930

I can read it fine.

But if you want larger to see print, Hold Down the Ctrl key on the keyboard and tap the + key.
Tap the - key to shrink.

skip.

Pacman

Quote from: rmotley on April 30, 2012, 08:50:20 PM
I watched a guy launch his sailboat in Oriental, NC last fall - used 2-20' nylon straps (not sure of the load limit on these straps but they were stout) with hooks on both ends - backed the trailer down to the waterline, blocked both wheels with chock blocks, unhooked the truck from the trailer (Trust factor is important here), pulled the truck forward, hooked both straps to the trailer / truck, pulled the trailer forward (using the straps) to release the chock blocks and then backed the trailer into the water until the boat floated off the trailer.  He advised that loading is the reverse - didn't see it but it makes sense.  Not sure of the total cost of the straps but I am sure Tractor Supply or Fastenal or parts stores of the same would have these in stock.  I haven't needed this yet - but it was simple and seems most of us could master this once we got past the unhooking the trailer part.  Just saying - cheap and easy is good!

If the hook broke or came off the boat trailer while under tension, it could snap back and hit the truck vary hard.

Nylon straps under tension would act like a big rubber band.

If I was going to use that method, I would use chain.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

NateD

Quote from: rmotley on April 30, 2012, 08:50:20 PM

I've launched my 23 using a strap, but haven't retrieved it with a strap yet. It works as long as the wheel on the tongue jack is in good condition and the ramp is solid enough (and goes far enough back) that the wheel doesn't dig in. I've since made a tongue extender so that I (hopefully) won't need to use a strap again.

I've seen straps with metal hooks on each end snap back at the pulling vehicle before, and the next strap that I buy will not have hooks on it, but when I launched with the strap it really wasn't under much tension and I wasn't worried about the strap slipping and snapping back.

noonmark

What about the potential for the trailer flipping back? Even if you have 200lb of tongue weight on flat ground, the center of gravity will move back depending on the angle of the ramp. Say for example as your are backing the trailer wheels into the murky water and one wheel goes into a pothole which would relieve the tension on the straps leaving whatever small amount of tongue weight remains (hopefully there is some) to keep the boat from flipping up. The previous owner of my 19 said he used this strap method with his dodge caravan without a problem but the idea still scares me.
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

MacGyver

Im with you noonmark,

We use a semi truck and trailer to launch big boats, park the semi truck after setting up the trailer to the ramp, and use a winch on the truck to let the trailer go down the ramp....... scary shtuff......... :O

I hate the idea of using a strap to launch let alone pull the boat out...... BUT for a long time people did it , flawlessly, and continue........ Id have to be sure the tongue weight was really good though, and to be honest, would probably have to see it done first before I did it........

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Koinonia

If your worried about tongue weight you may want to have a heavy duty caster on the tongue of the trailer that can support its weight.  If you can have somebody weld the components together it would be much better.  If you have a sailing club around with a j-24 fleet those trailers are great to look at for ideas.  Youll see some with various extensions or straps.  You luckily dont need to be as deep to launch but take into consideration that some ramps are steeper than others so some extra length is always good.  My big trailer for Koinonia has a 32ft extension so with her draft I can launch anywhere that the ramp is long/deep enough and not get my trucks tires wet.

skip1930

The two hole hitch extension on a CP-19 Performance trailer has a 24" reach from pin hole to pin hole.
With the boat on the trailer, crank down the jack and roll [manually push] the boat back once some of the weight is picked up by the jack.
Have the pin ready to insert as the hole comes into view and slam her home.
Once the boat is off the trailer, again with the jack to carry the weight, float the trailer back together and drop in the pin.
After you do this a few times it becomes easy.

skip.

BobM

I don't need to read it since I am the author of the article. The extension is still working and each time  it is used I have onlookers from both the power and sailing comunities in awe. The only change to the idea is an upgraded 'dolly' wheel. Anyone would like photos, drop me a line.
Fair winds to all!
Bob Macks

BobM

If you would like to visit my blog http://standingatthehelm.blogspot.com please do. I added a Seaward Fox  a  year or so ago to my fleet .
Bob Macks

BobM

Here's a video showing my Hitch Extension being used to pull out PERFECTION, my Starwind 223.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XC55WV2xHs&feature=youtube_gdata_player