a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone use 3M Command hooks...

Started by brackish, April 29, 2012, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

...or something similar in the cabin of your boat.  I want to hang a couple of gear nets in the forepeak area and don't want to add any screw holes to the boat.  Also want to make some cargo nets to keep things in the main cabin settee shelves when underway.  Prefer attachment methods that are reversible.

Eagleye

I have used them on painted dry wall and they do what they say...sticks well and comes of clean.  That would be my choice for such projects, Brackish.  They make a verity of hooks up to 7.5 pounds of holding strength plus if you don't like where you put them you can just pull them off and move them.

Hmmm... now you have me thinking about that fire extinguisher I need to mount?

The website has coupons:
http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

capt_nemo

Yes, but be sure the surface is quite clean before mounting and follow the instructions.

skip1930

I don't use hooks inside because any wave action or wake, even at the dock, has me banging my head into the bulkheads.
It's bad enough having the twist-to-tighten rings sticking out from the ports on any CP-19.

skip.

skip1930

" Hmmm... now you have me thinking about that fire extinguisher I need to mount? "

I use existing fasteners.

skip.

Rob

I made some 1 inch square blocks  out of hard wood with the outer side rounded to look nice ,I used 5 minn epoxy to glue them in place on the cabin side with masking tape to hold them till they set.After the glue set I installed a cup hook in it , The frist one I made have stayed in place for many years now.I have just installed two more large blocks with brass coat hooks in them just aft of the thur bolts for the chain plates .Iam useing them to hang rope from the inside of a 16 is perty small .Hope this helps      Rob

fawsr

Skip ... tell me about your seat cushions?  The look kind of dense and relatively thin from what I can see?

skip1930

Seat cushions are the closed foam ???[forget the name, but made in Alstrailia]. Somebody on this site I.D.ed them correctly.
I bought four of them, from West Marine and these come in packages of two.
Two of them guests and I sit on. And store them below deck. Leves me one extra one, which I don't use.
I took one and cut it in half. Used 3-M spray adhesive on both the back and the cockpit combing and pressed them on.
Coped out the foam for my tiller minder rod.
Been there what? About 6 or 7 years.
They are firm enough and pretty comfy to sit on and lean against, yet not so thick that they use up too much room.
Darn if I was going to pay big busks for cushions.

skip..." I might be cheap but I ain't free. "

Pacman

Quote from: skip1930 on April 29, 2012, 08:31:42 PM

" Hmmm... now you have me thinking about that fire extinguisher I need to mount? "

I use existing fasteners.

skip.

That is an elegant solution.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Eagleye

After a full season I would like to update my trial with the command hooks.  I had used them in the household with very good results and I really liked the ability to remove and reposition the hooks as needed. 

I attached several hooks just inside of the companionway to organize my running lines while trailering.

Once on the water they made a very handy spot to keep items that we needed accessible from the cockpit. The backpack was my "Go Bag".  It was a place to keep all the important stuff safe (wallet, car keys, cell phone, ect..) so as soon we docked at the end of the day I just had one bag to grab as I headed to get the truck and trailer. It is a real drag to reach the launch ramp with a line of boats waiting and not being able to find the keys.

For the fire extinguisher I simply used the refill strips on the back of the mounting hardware.  Since it was significantly heavy I used two or three strips and also let it rest on the shelf for added support.  On the opposite side of the companionway I installed 2 more hooks and also attached my VHF handheld with the refill strips.

At this point everything has held up perfectly except the VHF.  That came lose for two reasons.

1.. .The configuration of the back of the mounting bracket for the handheld did not offer much of a flat surface area.
2... While I was in the cabin we hit a (unannounced) wake and I smashed into the radio, knocking it off he bulkhead.

The Command hook adhesive strips seem to have weathered the heat and humidity well.  I'll let you know in the spring how they did in the sub-zero temps.

Regards,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

brackish

Glad they are working for you.  My experiment was a complete failure.  I used them to put up a cargo net that was slightly elastic.  Not sure how long they stayed up, I hung the net empty and left the boat, came back two weeks later and one had come down.  Put up a new one, next time the other had come down.  Gave up on them.

skip1930

Silicon adhesive might hold the hook on to the fiberglass.
You'll have to tape the hook to the bulkhead till the adhesive cures.
The adhesive can always be rubbed off with copious amounts of finger wiping.
Kind of rolls the 'sticky' up and then can be pulled off the bulkhead.

skip.

Salty19

I've had a couple of the 3M command hooks installed since 2010.  they are holding fast to the inner fiberglass liner on our CP19XL.  They only hold bungie cords, a whistle and two hats, so not much strength needed (so can't speak to that).  I'm impressed they are holding--during winter the temps can draw down to below zero F for a week or two at a time, in the summer mid-90's and high humidity.

Surface prep, IMO, is key.  We used rubbing alcohol to clean the area under the "sticky" of wax/grease.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

I think they would work fine for an item hanging straigt down on a single hook.  I tried to use two hooks to hold up the cargo net.  The elastic band put a constant side pull on the hooks.  I even tried to angle them toward the angle of the pull, didn't work.  I used alcohol to clean the area then installed them on a flat surface according to the instructions.

Going to use a fabricated hook on one of the chainplate screws on the aft, and a stainless screw eye on the inside of the forwardmost bulkhead.  Should work fine.

Bob23

Brack:
   maybe you could turn the hooks sideways. Seems that the design is such that the loads should be parallel to the long part of the base. I may find a use for these although there is not much bare f'glass on the inside of the 23...mostly wood.
   Bob23