a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compression Post

Started by jonnysea176, April 08, 2012, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnysea176

I have recently purchased a Compac 16, and the inside was totally rotted.  So I gutted the entire inside.   My questions is do I need a compression post?     Also, should I have some kind of bulk heads or other supports?

Jon C.
Tampa

Ps. Anyone do an over-night in a boat like this?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2685004740054817024riadIi?vhost=rides

skip1930

Jon C.
Tampa asks:  " Ps. Anyone do an over-night in a boat like this? " Yes buy Handbook Of Trailer Sailing by Robert F. Burgess.
Robert sailed all over the place down in Florida in both his CP-16 and CP-19.

I don't have a CP-16 and can't recall if they were fitted with compression posts.

The CP-19 is but that's a different designer. The compression post on CP-19's is lag screwed into a port starboard 3/4" bulkhead at the head of the quarter births and NEVER touches or rests on the boat's bottom.

I think the CP-16 is postless and relies on the cabin's arch to support the tabernacle and mast. If you cut an arch out from under the fiberglass inside of the cabin, you'll need to rebuild that for strength and it may be a good idea to make a bulkhead and compression post. Boy that will mung up the inside space real good.

skip. Ahhhh! The master speaks...PUT THE POST IN. I don't know what your going to lag it to. Thanks Salty19. I knew someone would figure this out.

Salty19

Quote from: skip1930 on April 08, 2012, 05:30:38 PM

I think the CP-16 is postless and relies on the cabin's arch to support the tabernacle and mast. If you cut an arch out from under the fiberglass inside of the cabin, you'll need to rebuild that for strength and it may be a good idea to make a bulkhead and compression post. Boy that will mung up the inside space real good.

skip.

Nope, there is a post in all CP16's mounted the same way with lag bolts and the deck needs that for support.

Johnny you definitely want to install a post!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

HenryC

I googled images com-pac 16 interior and I got these two images

http://photos.mostsailboats.org/1986-Com-Pac-16_4850_2.jpg

http://www.sailingtexas.com/piccompac16166e.jpg

Good luck on the new boat.

HenryC

MKBLK

jonnysea -

A. I second Salty's motion!

B. HenryC - I really like the purty picture (the 1st one). Are there CP16 patterns available for the pictured bulkhead or do I have to educate my 10 thumbs?

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

NateD

I had a 1981 CP16 and the compression post was missing. I didn't know it was supposed to have one until I started looking at pictures of other 16's. I mentioned it here and was told that I had better add one, I never did. I believe there have been comments in the past that there is tension placed on the post while sailing as some have had screws pull out of semi-rotted wood or noticed the tension in some other way. I took my 16 into rough conditions often over a 2.5 year period and didn't notice any ill effects from not having the compression post and it made it easier to load up with gear.

With the way the 16s are overbuilt I personally don't think the compression post is necessary, but the consensus here is otherwise.

The gear in the picture was supplies for a 4-day 3-night wilderness cruise with my wife. Over-nighting for one person is pretty comfortable as long as you think about it like backpacking, but it starts to get cramped when you add another person.