a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tow Vehicle

Started by Lee, July 27, 2005, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

What size truck will I need to trasport a 25?
Will a Chevy 1500 be enough or is a 2500 required?
I suspect a 3500 is overkill.

Any response appreciated.
Thanks.
--Lee

Craig Weis

I think I'd pull the 25 with a 3/4 ton. Better cooling, better brakes, beefier rear axel, different shift points on the automatic, higher box load, same motor as 1/2 ton. Optional bigger?.

Believe it or not the guy who purchased my Star boat with a heavy and tall keel under her that sat on a cut down truck frame with four wheels, one at every corner of the trailer, and a tie rod set up to turn the front wheels of the trailer...pulled her out with a NASH METROPOLITAIN!!. like it's the worst car Detroit ever screwed together. You know. Four cylinder flat head. Three speed manual. Damn trailer weighed more then the car. Not to mention the boat. I said to him, "Good luck stoping Junior". I did not here anything on the news so I guess he made it. skip

Windhawk

A friend of mine tows his CP25 with a 1500.  It works just barely OK, and for short hops (100 miles) on flat ground I'd do it.  Long distance, hills (mountains), or stop & go traffic are another matter.  The 2500 would be up to it.  As they say, with a big load you can never have too much tow vehicle, but a 3500 wouldn't be necessary.  However, I think you might be able to find a better deal pricewise on a 3500 because of the lower demand for the truck.  

He uses a hoist to launch, and that's probably a good idea.  Launch might be OK, but retrieval could be dicey.