a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New to me COMPAC 19

Started by fawsr, February 14, 2012, 10:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawsr

Port side clean as I'm gonna get it ... still some shadows but my stripes came today ...

I think its looking better ...

fawsr

Turned it around and applied the bootstripe and some gold pinstripe ...

I can hear the water calling me ...

fawsr

Painted bottom and striped starboard side today.

On the port side, I used two gold stripes - one above and one below the the white boot stripe.

Today on the starboard side, I only used gold above the white line and let the blue come up to meet the white.

I think I'll redo the port side this way too.

Salty19

Looking good!  I like the two-tone with white waterline stripe. 
I wonder if that area was painted with a brown stripe in the past, never saw one with 2 tone.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

fawsr

Yes, there was the brown vinyl bootstripe but there was also a painted-on root beer brown stripe that had been painted over with anti-fouling.
I was originally going to use blue pinstripes, but Greene sent me some wide blue vinyl and included a bit of original gold pinstripe.
I realy liked it and ended up going with gold pinstripes. The white bootstripe is 2" vinyl.

I just have hanging the hardware back on the transom and I'll be ready to clean up the topsides.
Not going to spend near as much time on the topsides. Just a power wash and a hull cleaner and polish the metal ... and ... and ...
anyway, getting close to dunking time!

fawsr

My rub rail is really rough to the touch and is beginning to split along the back on the lip. I was thinking about maybe replacing it sometime later.

Was thing of light sanding or scotchbrite followed by something like armorall or back-to-black?

Anybody here had good sucess rehabing a tired rub rail?

kickingbug1

you have done a super job. hate to say it but i was considering buying that boat last year. but i wouldnt have done as good as you on her restoration. hey bring her to the rendezvous in august
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

fawsr

Pulled all the wood off and oiled with teak oil ...
I had never unfurled the jib before so today i did ... very molded and mildewed.
Lowered the mast, pulled the jib off the furler and gave it a good bath.
This sail is a lot larger than I expected. The measurement across the bottom of the sail is 137" 
Somebody tell me what this relates to in %. It comes back at least a foot or more past the spreaders and stops about midway down the hatch.

Billy

That's bigger than mine and mine is a 150%
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

fawsr

Well dang! While unstepping the mast yesterday found something I wasn't looking for and hadn't previously noticed. The two front attachemnt points on the mast base bracket had been thru bolted. The two in the rear still using screws. The screws were not holding at all. I pulled the bolts and found one clean and one with threads full of wood pulp. The base seems firm enough but will obvioulsy need to be opened up and repaired. I have really been trying to get this done in time for the FL120. Someone with a lot of experience tell me - How much am I risking to go ahead and sail it a few times before I dig this out and repair it?

skip1930

Go sailing, the mast's tabernacle only holds the mast so it can be erected. The standing rigging does the lion's share of holding the mast and driving the boat.

My buddy's tabernacle on his CP-19 let go of all four screws at once at the ramp when we were walking the mast up.
So we drilled clean through, 3-M 5200 slow set or you can use Marine-Tex the whole mess and bolted the tabernacle down with 1/4-20 ss bolts, acron nuts, flat washers, and finishing washers, [ the finishing washers is what the end of the mast actually sets on. Doesn't even set on the bolt heads. Amazing ] and cleaned up the drip. One of the through drilled holes circum-forcing the compression post went clean through the overhead cabin light. But with the lens in place you can't see the nut.

An hour later we stepped the mast and went sailing. Have not touched any of this since and that was five years ago. And no plans to do anything else.
This isn't rocket science unless your a stickler for details and a~glutton for punishment.

skip.

crazycarl

skip is right, to a point.  the tabernacle needs to be secure because it does hold the base of the mast from moving.  however, the manufacturers don't thru bolt them because in the event of a demasting, you want the tabernacle to let go instead of tearing a hole in the cabin top.

if the two front holes are already thru bolted, the tabernacle ins't going anywhere.

i would make sure the two rear holes are sealed so no water can intrude.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

crazycarl

fawrs,

i'm also going to the fa 120.  i'm planning on dragging my 15' hullmaster, but i'm waiting for the new forestay to arrive.  it it is not here on time, i'll drag the cp19 down.  maybe then i can convince the wife to come along.

hope to see you there,    carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

skip1930

Working on his book about Trailer Sailing, Bob Burgess wrote after a fact finding visit to Hutchen's that the very early CP-16's had the factory tabernacle bollted clean through.

skip.

fawsr

I am needing a picture and or specifications for the bilge pump handle. My boat has the OEM bilge pump mounted with access in teh cockpit but I do not have a handle. Looks like a slip over sleeve type? Length? Diameter?