a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New to me COMPAC 19

Started by fawsr, February 14, 2012, 10:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

If your going to purchase a stick-on strip, you may have to slide it around a bit for best fit. A good liquid soapy dish washing slather of bubbles on the hull, then the stripe and then squeeze the air out from under the vinyl, starting in the middle and slowly working to the edges and ends, with a rubber wiper like from a bondo can kit, worked well for us at Super Sign Company in Normal, Illinois when we did fire truck logos.  

skip

Greene

Quote from: fawsr on February 24, 2012, 09:07:56 AM
Thanks for all the help guys ... I'm sure I'll stumble a few times just hope I get the shine back. Color. The boat is white and light cream and had brown vinyl bootstripe and hand painted upper stripe. I sanded off the upper stripe and the bootstripe is pretty cut up so will go ahead and remove it too. All the sunbrella covers topside are blue so I was thinking maybe blue stripes but not sure how that would match the cream?

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a couple rolls of dark blue that I had considered putting on my 19.  That way you can put some on and see if you like it without spending the money. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

fawsr

Thank You!  I had looked at some two tone and some metallic in copper/gold/brown because I did like the original color scheme but the sunbrella is all bright blue rather than maroon or red or brown. Kinda looks good n blue topsides but just doesnt match from the sides and I fugured tape is cheaper than new covers for everything.

fawsr

Wow ... started power washing the anti-fouling ... very lttle coming off ... scrubbed with a stiff brush ... still not much coming off ... started wet sanding with 220 wet/dry ... under the anti-fouling is a very scuffed up hull. Looks like someone took an abrasive or paint stripping scotch brite and really scuffed it hard before applying the coating. The scatches are not deep enough to feel but they are deep enough to make this chore a big pain in the rear.

fawsr

Salty 19 - Island Time ... did you designthat logo online or with an app? Been looking for a place to get my logo done.

Anyone else here have custom vinyl graphics or lettering done? Any recommendations?

skip1930

Local sign shop. Guy did it on a small CNC cutter, once for the background [tan] of the lettering, then for the lettering [brown] itself.
Brought the 'look' up on the scope so I could decide.
Had many fonts to pick from, took one day for him to cut the vinyl and come over and slap it on the sides of my boat.
He charged $50.00 which I felt was a good deal.

skip.

fawsr

Thanks skip ... looks really nice.

On another note .. have decided not to try and remove the anti-fouling this spring. Am going to change the color though. As mentioned earlier, is just a good power washing sufficient before top coating? The stuff is pretty soft but pretty thick.

wes

Fawsr - a few comments based on my refinishing a 1988 CP 19 hull this past year:

1. Unless you are recoating with same brand/model of bottom paint, compatibility is a serious issue. Interlux and other paint makers publish compatibility charts on their web sites. If you can't identify the old paint, safest thing is to sand it off (messy, but satisfying). Which leads to item #2.

2. If you're sanding anyway, I would then apply an epoxy barrier coat before reapplying the anti fouling paint. It's great insurance against any chance of blistering. Again, compatibility is critical, consult manufacturer's recommendation.

3. Don't use Penetrol (mentioned earlier in this thread) to "renew" your fiberglass. Various web forums are crawling with horror stories about this product causing your hull to turn brown over time. Unless you like the idea of a brown hull.

4. You may find an upper stripe (sheer stripe) that's actually molded into the hull. Mine had this "feature" (it was brown and about 6" wide). Stop sanding before you grind off the gel coat trying to get rid of it. I painted over mine.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

fawsr

Thanks Wes. Concernig the sheer stripe -  someone had hand painted - with a brush - a wide sheer stripe. It sanded off rather easily and revealed the factory seam. The hull is cream and there is a 6" wide molded in white line from sheer stripe to the joint. The transition line is fine in some areas with as much as 1/8" wave in some areas. This may need to be professionally stripied as my hand is given to waviness!.

The boot stripe was vinyl and peeled off easily. I am replacing both with a medium blue stripe. A wide stipe at the bottom and thinking of two thin lines at the top.

Concerning the antifouling - the existing dark brown coating is thick but soft. There is an underlying coating that is a lighter color of reddish brown that is slick, not soft, but definately not epoxy. It sands softer than enamel paint. DOnt know if it was a prep coat or someting else. Anyway, the hull was severly scuffed up during original application and I will wait until a later date to clean and polish below the bootstripe. I have just now been reading on the various websites the prep steps to applying antifouling over an existig coat.

Thanks again.

skip1930

fawsr, "have decided not to try and remove the anti-fouling this spring. Am going to change the color though"

Same here. Factory brown coat. Years later lightly sanded this coat and washed off the gunk. Using water base house paint, painted it again back to brown. Stood up for years...two years ago, sanded lightly, washed off the gunk. Repainted again with 'real' anti grass paint that I found in a close out sale. Still hanging on as shown in the picture.

skip.

fawsr

Thanks Skip, just what I needed to hear! Having originally wanted to strip it off, I had decided to swap sanding time for sailing time and just leave it on there. Having already pressure washed it, now I think I will sand it and roll on some exterior latex and smile for another year or two. 

Salty19

The Island Time logo is a font I found at boatus.com.  They have an easy to use design tool (colors, backgrounds, highlights, shadows, etc) and will print the graphic.  Check it out.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

fawsr

Thank You Mike, the tape arrived today. I had already stuck some blue dollar store vinyl on it to preserve the line for when the real tape goes back on. I like the blue color and seeing it on my boat confirms that it will be a good match. After talking to some of the guys I've decided against stripping below the waterline and will simply sand and paint it with a nice dark blue exterior latex I had mixed today. I have really sanded it to death and still have faint white shadows of oxidation. I finally went thru the gelcoat at a corner so I know now when to stop. Its taking longer than expected but it is coming along. Thanks again.

BTW ... Calico Rock is about an hour north of here.  :-)

fawsr

Question - having never sailed anything other than board boats, windriders and hobies - does anyone use the winches on the coaming? I don't have a winch handle and wonder if I will even need one?

skip1930

Oh heck yes. You need one. A red floating one. West Marine.
You will not be able to hand hold alone the straining head sheet. Cut your hand off if you try in a blow.
I use the handle in the winch all the time.
Two to three wraps of the sheet attached to a 155% lapper around the drum and one foot on vertical house bulkhead and pull with your back and arm with other hand on the tiller...just before everything loose starts to slide to the lee side. Great fun. I can also use the winch to tighten the main sheet halyard to the Pentel mark on the sheet...when I see the mark in the rope clutch, I slap her closed.

See the RED Handle?