Started by marc, January 05, 2012, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

Carl, Doesn't get simpler than that.
Thanks.
Marc

Bob23

Marc:
   About your post regarding getting a good spot: True, but I leave a marked mooring in tied to a storm anchor so I can capsize the boat as I mentioned above. It's good to practice this a few times before the actual hurricane arrives. Let us know how it works out for you.
   This is my boat tied up before Irene arrived last summer here in NJ:

She was fine the next day. Yeah, I guess 15 lines might have been a bit overkill but I really do live my 23!
btw: Lowering the mast wasn't that hard. I do depend on a friend for this. Gives us a good excuse to throw back a few cold ones together.
bob23

Tim Gardner

Koinonia seems to enjoy the bondage thing, Eh?
tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

kickingbug1

dont take this wrong carl but at this coming rendezvous ill have a stop watch.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

brackish

On another topic  -  can anyone direct me to some interior pictures. I'm particularly interested in where the porta potti is located. I've read that many of you use WAG bags, but don't think I'll go that route.

I can't show you interior pics, but it doesn't have to be either/or with the WAG bags.  They work just fine with the porta potty.  Generally, I keep my porta potty waste tank freshly charged all the time and if on a longer cruise use it, then dump when I return.  However, if just going out for a day sail or even a short overnighter, particularly with the ladies aboard, I generally provide WAG bags to use with the toilet.  Keeps me from having to dump the waste tank so often or leave the waste aboard for long periods of time.

Billy

I have an old 5 gallon paint bucket with a toilet seat lid that pops onto the bucket. I use the bags with this set up.

When not in use I keep it behind (under) the companionway steps.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

marc...here's a pic for you.  The porti potty sits right behind the companionway step. This is a CP19.
After that picture was taken, I installed an eye on the rear of the door with a line/snap shackle on it to clip to a short pendant off the sliding hatch door hasp. 
Lift the door, connect the shackle, pull out the potty and do your business.  That way you don't have to hold the door up. Gives some privacy too.

It takes us pretty darn close to an hour to get the CP19 in the water.  But, we only do this a handful of times a year so we're not too polished at it. Most of the work is not mast raising related.  It's everything else (running lines, installing boom/sails, hooking up motor, double checking things, etc).  

If we didn't rent a slip I would have kept the CP16..much quicker to get going.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

marc

My better half already nixed the idea of bags. I'm not too crazy about them either. We'll see how it works out. Last boat had a real head with 20 gallon holding tank so we're spoiled. I like the porta potti under the steps. It's out of the way yet easily accessible and as far away from the sleeping area as possible.
Anyway, I think this boat would be perfect for us. If you know of any for sale, please let me know.
Thanks.
Marc

Keith

This isn't a big boat, maybe you guys are making this more complicated than need be?  I've owned my CP19II since 1998 and have raised and lowered the mast more times than I can count...with no mechanical contraptions and most often single handed.  As previously posted, I slide the mast aft over the stern rail, insert bolt through tabernacle and mast, make sure shrouds and backstay are secure and free to run, and stick the forestay turnbuckle in my pocket.  I stand on the cabin roof (at the hatch area), straddle the mast, and lift.  Then I shuffle backwards pulling the mast up as I go until it's upright.  Then as I keep tension on the forestay I move to the bow pulpit where I secure the turnbuckle to the bow chainplate (is that the right term?).  Easy peasy.

I've done this with the boat inclined aft (on boat ramp) and on the water (to get under bridges and to fix a wind vane).  Only minor issues are fouling the shrouds or backstay when raising the mast or losing the pin that secures the forestay turnbuckle; just means having to lower mast and start over.  Otherwise never had a problem.  I'm 49 and reasonably fit, but certainly no power lifter.  The mast really isn't that heavy.

HTH,

Keith

kickingbug1

i imagine that i could step the mast by myself with no problem. but im pretty spoiled with my 16. i guess what i need to do is talk an owner in letting me try. im 59 and not getting any younger and i would sure like to sail for at least 10 more years maybe more. i found a 19 in my area and will be talking to the owner soon. i would like to have a bigger boat if only to take a few more people along. overnighting is not a concern as the only sailboat she would spend the night on better be 45 feet or so. thanks for the input.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Greene

I'm with Keith on this one.  The 19's mast is quite easy to raise. It isn't all that much more than the 16's mast.  I've thought about building a PVC crutch to support the mast two or three feet over the cabin.  This way you can put the tabernacle pin in, lift the mast up on your shoulder from inside the cockpit, place the PVC crutch under the mast, step up onto the cabin without lifting anything, and then lift the mast from this partially raised position.

Right now I don't need this, but down the road I may.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

kickingbug1

mike,  a guy over my way has a 19 for sale. if he will let me raise and lower the mast and i find it "easy" (you know how lazy i am) then i might consider it. this would mean selling both the 16 and the fishing boat however. gotta think on that one.

Greene

Kick,  I know you two would love the 19.  I saw the grin on your face when you had the tiller on mine.  Ok, maybe that was from the beer.  I really think that a simple crutch to hold the mast up a few degrees before you lift it would really make it pretty easy.  I'm going to try it this spring, even though I don't think it is necessary. 

Brenda and I also took the turnbuckle off the forestay and replaced it with a Johnson Quicklever.  This made the forestay attachment so much easier.

If you get a 19 then Carl can teach you that neat "snag the deck chair off the dock without looking" trick.  He promised me he would show me how this year.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Glenn Basore

Marc,

Some time a go I posted under the Eclipse section on how I raise my mast using the trailer winch, much safer and I can do it by my self.

I have the mast tender system but like using the trailer winch much better.

Glenn

crazycarl

mike,

the idea of hanging a deck chair off the bow pulpit came to me when i saw brenda relaxing on the foredeck of your 19.

i thought ...wow! that looks sooo relaxing! i'll bet joanie would love to have her own chair foreward so she can chillax and watch the bow split the waves.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"