Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

how bad a "screw-up" is this?

Started by Roswell49, December 14, 2011, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell49

Hi All,

In getting my boat ready for a trip out to Oceanside Ca for the holidays, I decided to replace the scupper flappers for the cockpit drains.  I ordered the replacements from Hutchins and installed them this evening.  Well, I assumed that the screws were the same length, but upon tightening I discovered I now have 8 screws protruding about 1/8Th of an inch inside the boat in a nice, neat pattern.  I've used the sealant I'd gotten from Hutchins, and think it will be okay, but I'm somewhat chagrined over this.  Has anyone else done this, and if so, what was the result and what did you do or recommend doing?  I don't what to redo the whole thing right now do to my upcoming trip.

Thanks,

Mike

CaptRon28

You could replace the 8 self threading screws (I assume that's what you used) with machine screws that are the same length/ diameter and use acorn nuts (and washers if necessary) on the inside. Otherwise you'd have to patch the fiberglass.  The acorn nuts won't cut anyone who brushes against it.

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Roswell49

Okay Ron, but the screws are in the storage compartment under the tiller, so they won't scrape anyone except me reaching for the gear stowed in the compartment.  Just kinda worried about water leaks into the bilge....

Mike

Allure2sail

Hi:
How about this.....in hardware stores (at least in New England) they have draws full of fasteners. I've seen these little plastic or rubber caps in all different sizes and colors. Kind of like what you see on a carburetor to seal a vacuum line. A little dab of 5200 inside the cap and then push it over the portion of the screw sticking out inside the hull and let it dry. It will never fall off and also stop anyone from getting scratched or cut on them protruding screw tips. You could also cut them flush with a small dremol tool and a cutoff wheel.
Bruce

Billy

I would say that this is one of the few acceptable times to use 5200.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Well, Roswell:
   We've all done our share of "assuming". But the one that takes the cake is when a friend of mine, while installing something on the inside of his Island Packet 35 (I think) drilled a hole clean through the hull! Below the waterline!! Good thing the boat was on the stands. We'll never let him forget that one!
   Can you get new screws the correct length, reinstall them and then maybe use Marine Tex over the holes on the inside? Even using 5200 tooled to a nice finish would be ok.
   I think if you seal up both the head of the screw and the offending protruder with 5200, you'll be fine.
   And worry not...your secret is safe with us.
bob23

Salty19

Quote from: CaptRon28 on December 14, 2011, 07:31:26 PM
You could replace the 8 self threading screws (I assume that's what you used) with machine screws that are the same length/ diameter and use acorn nuts (and washers if necessary) on the inside. Otherwise you'd have to patch the fiberglass.  The acorn nuts won't cut anyone who brushes against it.

+1.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

I would back the screws out, mix a little epoxy, squirt it into the holes, cut the points off the screws so they don't protrude, put'em in and FUGEDDABOUDIT.  Then worry until I could check it out after a season of sailing.

I just hate screwing up like that, don't you?

Still on the rum & peach, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Roswell49

Hi Guys, and thanks for all of your advice on fixing my "screw-up". 

I think I'll try the rubber caps & 5200 idea and then check them out while the boat is in the water out at Oceanside.  I've been getting some water in the bilges on my first 2 trial sails here in New Mexico, so I want to see where it's coming from.  I have a thru hull knot meter that the previous owners installed several years ago, and that may be the source of the leak.  I've checked the boat's bow hook for the trailer, but that seems okay and the wood block behind it is still firm without any deterioration.  Also checked the bolts for the rudder mount, the motor mount and boarding ladder and those are tight too.  The boat wasn't in the water very much according to the last owner while it was in Colorado, usually never slipped, but kept on the trailer, so over all I think it is either the cockpit scupper drains or the knot meter that has been leaking due to the age of the rubber seals.  It wasn't a lot of water anyway, but still want to find and fix the source of it.

BTW, I'll be in a slip at the Camp Pendelton side of the Oceanside Marina for the holidays starting this coming Tuesday thru the 2nd of Jan.  Anyone out that way, please stop by and say hi, or leave a note and I'll call you.  We have rented a house out there for the holidays, but will be keeping the boat at the marina.  My boat's named "Pequina" and hopefully I'll have some pictures to post after our trip.  Looking forward to getting the grandkids out on it for their first time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...

Mike

Roswell49

Just an update after getting back from our trip to Oceanside...

The repairs worked fine, had a dry boat the entire time, even with Pequena at a slip for around 2 weeks and a lot of time underway fully loaded.  We didn't have much wind while there, and we spent a lot of time just using the motor, but it was still great fun.  We had some pretty good swells when we were outside the harbor, but I was very impressed how a 16 foot Compac handled them.  I'm very happy with our choice of boats!  We also trailed her about 1600 miles without any problems on the trip, so we'll be taking her to a lot of different locations in the future.  All told, I've trailered her around 2500 miles already with buying her in Colorado to here in New Mexico, and some local runs to our "local" lake which is about an hour away.

I also had several people come up and comment on her while we were there, and that was kinda neat too.  One couple were in a Potter, and he'd never seen a Compac first hand, and he was impressed with her as well.

Once I figure out how to do it, I'll post some pictures of the trip.

Best to all in 2012!!!!

Mike