a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Should my butterfly be loose or tight?

Started by buckaroo, November 15, 2011, 08:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckaroo

Heh.  I can predict the jokes, so don't bother. ;-)

Should the butterfly at my boom end be free to rotate around the bolt, or should it be tightened?  I've removed the gooseneck-end of the boom to replace it, and while all my tools are out I'm wondering whether I should likewise remove the other end in order to tighten the butterfly so it doesn't move.  I'd rather not, as getting through the rivets was a pain, and it might be the wrong thing to do anyway. What's the butterfly like on y'all's boats?

Salty19

Hi Buck!

It should rotate freely to allows the fly-to-block-to-sheet angle to maintain a relatively straight line. 

Bob, pipe in here with a joke!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Well, Buckaroo, I'm gonna let my boat "Koinonia" answer this one directly:
"We hardly know each other so I think it's very forward of you to ask this question so early in our relationship. But I like honesty, so here goes: I keep my butterfly loose although I'm not a loose lady by any stretch. Sure, we compacs have great rears that draw attention wherever we go, but we are true blue loyal to our mates! To even insinuate that we sail around with our butterflys loose just to draw attention is an insult to our integrity. And really, my skipper Bob23 is the only one I even allow close enough to see my butterfly anyway. Perhaps you should ask your boat what her preferences about her butterfly position are. This really is a very personal matter, Buck."
   Well, there you have it, Buck. Straight from the sailboats...ah...butterfly!
bob23

buckaroo

Great stuff, Bob! :-D

Salty, thanks for the info.  Glad I didn't forge ahead with my drill without asking...

JTMeissner

buckaroo,

While I was replacing the gooseneck casting on my CP-16, I felt that the bolt holding the butterfly might be a tad loose so I removed that end's casting rivets so I could access the nut.  While I cannot guarantee that the system is original, the threading on the bolt did not go far enough to allow it to be tightened any more.  Essentially, it is just a hex bolt a few inches long, but with threads about halfway/three-quarters.  So, with nothing to be done unless I wanted to change out the bolt (and not knowing if it was right or wrong in either case), I just riveted the casting back in place and accept the butterfly the way it is.

I did take the opportunity to straighten out the butterfly plate (wish I had a picture), so I guess I did something.  Not sure if this will bend again over time...  Boat works, so not a big deal in the big picture.

Lastly, I had to get a new drill bit to properly drill the mast for the new gooseneck casting.  While aluminum is not a hard metal, the new bit made the job very easy.  To remove the old rivets, I punched out the center of the rivet then drilled it out with a slightly-smaller-than-the-rivet-diameter bit in case I was off on my aim.  Pulling the remaining rivet out with a pair of pliers was pretty easy.  Pretty happy with the technique results, and now have little hesitancy with mast or boom work (thinking of adding a whisker pole mount on the mast and maybe a new foot).

-Justin

buckaroo

I knew I should've tried punching out the center first, but I waded right in with the drill.  Not such a good idea, as it turns out.  I went through several bits as each dulled after a minute or two (I need some better bits).  Two holes went okay, but on one of them I was off a little as the bit skittered across the surface, and ended up elongating the hole in the boom.  I don't think think it will matter too much, as I expect the expansion of the rivet to make it pretty secure, but it was still irritating.  I'll probably double-up on rivets, anyway (there are three now; five or six can't hurt, right?). I've got a new casting and gooseneck assembly coming from Hutchins right now.

Salty19

Good one, Koinonia!

Probably best to not mess with the butterfly...actually I think it's called the mainsheet chainplate (not sure about that) unless looks like it's ready to break or fall off.
JT, I think you're OK bending it, but do realize it's lost a little strength in the process.  Probably not a big deal but if it bends again it may be worth replacing it.
The mast step can be put in a vice and pressed straight, most of the force is downwards. Will save you about 90 bucks.  By the way...THANK YOU for your service!!!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MKBLK

Buckeroo - Good choice re: the aluminum rivets. When I replaced the gooseneck casting on Pegasus, I ordered the replacement from Dwyer which was okay. I also ordered rivets that were stainless steel... not so okay. So, anyone out there needing to replace their boats gooseneck casting should stay away from stainless rivets. Way too hard to work with easily. Besides, the rivet connections on the boom are not under much, if any stress, so there is no need for extra strength stainless.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch