Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Gooseneck Fitting

Started by dlane83, November 08, 2011, 11:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddduck

dlane83,

With all due respect, I think you are waaay overthinking it.  There is no substitute for getting out in the boat and actually experiencing what happens with the standard rig and rigging.  I'm quite sure that most, if not all, of those who made and are making changes have done so incrementally - that's part of the fun! 

Dennis
Suncat Odd Duck

Tom Ray

Quote from: dlane83 on November 15, 2011, 10:08:40 PM
Capt Nemo,

I am wondering if the pad eye could be used to set the position of the boom for my modified sail configuration idea.  I would need a way to keep the boom fixed at this height.  Do you think the downhaul or just a piece of line could be used to tie the boom down in this position and keep it from lifting up off the pad eye?  In addition, do you know how high off the deck the boom is when it is resting on the pad eye?

Thanks, Don L

Don L, Don N (Nemo) replied that you could use the downhaul to hold the boom down at the padeye, but the pulley would be in the way. My solution to that would be to eliminate the pulley and shackle the boom down to the padeye directly, if you want it to always be in that position, even when sailing.

When resting on pad eye and boom gallows, the boom barely clears the cabin, Maybe an inch or two. With the sail up, you would want the sail to lift the aft end of the boom above the gallows, so clearance would be higher.

I have to agree with Dennis' comment on overthinking. Yes, you can put a deck sweeping main on a Sun Cat. Working out the details of a sail that extends below the factory sail would not be difficult, and the rig is strong enough to do what you are thinking of doing. Just my opinion, not trying to run you off or anything. We like answering questions and exploring ideas about the boat, so if you have more, bring them on. :)

capt_nemo

dlane83,

Went to the boat today and I have good news for you. The boom gooseneck does rest on the top of the padeye as shown in the following photo.

I tightened the Downhaul and found that it does hold the boom down in the fixed position knocking the block out of the way to permit the gooseneck to rest on top of the padeye as shown in this photo. Could not physically lift the boom up with Downhaul tightened.

ON MY BOAT with the boom gooseneck resting on top of the pad eye and boom end on the gallows the pad eye center is 12" above the cabin top and the bottom of the sliding gooseneck and bottom of the boom are both about 12 1/2" above the cabin top as shown in this photo. I disagree with Tom Ray in that there is still enough room, several inches in fact, to actually open the cabintop hatch for ventilation. Hope this helps.  capt_nemo

dlane83

Hey Capt Nemo,

Great job and pics.  That was very helpful.  I now have a good understanding of what would be involved with changing the sail if I were to decide to.  If I wanted the boom to be a little higher than the height of the pad eye, I could either move the pad eye and tap new holes to screw it in place or I could screw a separate stopper into the slot at the desired height.  From various pictures I have seen of Sun Cats with the sails in the stored position (presumably resting on the pad eye), I also have an idea of the slope the boom would have. 

Thanks also to everyone else who commented and helped me understand how the rig is configured.

Don L 

Tom Ray

After further review, Don N is right about the clearance. This is (I think) a 4" plastic putty knife on top of my hatch, so I'd guess the clearance above the hatch at almost 5" if the boom is rotated as shown. If you wanted the boom to stay at that height, you could just eliminate the downhaul line and block and shackle the gooseneck slide directly to the padeye.

Clearance is a bit lower over the companionway hatch - about 4 inches.

cavie

I offer a different solution. My boat dodn't have a downhaul when I aquired it and I have no intention of installing one. I love the Suncat Kiss method of rigging. I pull up the boom and install the long pin thru the eye at the bottom of the slide and leave it there. Can't go up, can't go down. luff tention is done with the main haylard. Work well enough for a 2nd place finish at the Nationals. I use the block and spinlock on the left side for my lazyjacks.

bfelton

Adding one suggestion to the last post.  Control the luff tension with a cunningham.  That is what I ordered on my new sail that is coming some time in March. 

Fixing the boom position currently doesn't work because my old sail will not clear the boom gallows.

Bert

tmolik

I've looked everywhere  for a picture of the SunCat "long pin" near the gooseneck....I know it's purpose...but I've never seen one...ANYONE have a picture of his elusive item...please feel free to email pictures to me....tmolik@earthlink.net....

I have a 2001 SunCat

Thanks

Tom Molik   :)

Craig

Your pin may be missing.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL