a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replace bow eye U-bolt? Easy?

Started by rdwalker, October 10, 2011, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdwalker

Hi, all, did anyone here ever replace the bow-eye U-bolt?
I am not sure if I used a correct name: I mean the U-bolt, to which the towing strap hooks on, to winch the boat onto the trailer.

My bow-eye seems to be rather corroded inside the hull, there is a bit of a gap visible on the outside of the bow, between bolt backing plate and the fiberglass.

I'd love to just get this one out, reseal and replace with a new one. The hex nuts inside are half-rusted away; I think that I could try to slice them with a Dremel tool. There is no way that any wrench will grab them.

Is the replacement really that simple? Or am I getting myself into some unforeseen trouble?

Thanks in advance for any comments and en/discouragement.

Robert

(CP-16 in Northern NJ)

Cevin c Taylor

I'm completely new to boats, and I just fixed the bow eye on my '83 CP 16.  Not hard at all, at least in the condition mine was in.  Here's a link to a pic of the inside final product.  http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4578.msg31824#msg31824

rdwalker

Quote from: wolverine 00 xj on October 10, 2011, 09:35:21 PM... http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4578.msg31824#msg31824

Thanks!

Mine is not as well preserved as yours, it's very much corroded on the inside of bow: just two rusty stumps with memories of nuts on them. These things are pretty cheap, so I won't mind replacing.

But your pix are nice; now I know what to expect once I cut the nuts. I like your idea of an extra aluminum support. And of the Minwax wood hardener - never knew of such a thing before. Judging by the bolt rust, the wood may not be in a good shape, either.

By the way, I just saw your month-old post on identifying mystery parts. I have the exact same tiller extension as you have shown. I will be getting a new tiller and am planning to move the existing socket over. Just in case I break it: did you get a replacement socket somewhere?

skip1930

Do a search for bow sprit additions on to com-pac under the CP-19 broad titles...here is a long rendition of how the bow eye was removed and replaced. The only real hard thing to do is to remove the 3-M 5200 slow set that the factory used to seal the deal.

Basically it grind off the steel and pound out the studs that use to be the U-bolt. You can make this little change to the trailer too.
Yours looks pretty good, why the change, unless a bow sprit is being added?

skip.

rdwalker

Quote from: skip1930 on October 11, 2011, 07:08:27 AM...
Yours looks pretty good, why the change, unless a bow sprit is being added?
skip.[/color]

Hi, skip,

I noticed that there is a bit of a gap between the plate of the U-bolt and the hull - especially when tension is applied. Also, the bolt is all corroded on the inside of the hull.

So, I assume that a). this could be a source of some leaks and b)., I may be risking breaking it off while in use. That is why I am thinking about replacing the bow eye. Not really looking forward to it, but from the descriptions here it does sound like it is within my limited skills.

Robert.

Cevin c Taylor

I should have mentioned that originally I left the wood in place, and put hardener on it there.  Then, when I was driving the U-bolt back into place w/ hammer taps, I actually drove the wood out of its place inside the hull.  I hadn't counted on this, but it was fortunate that it happened.  I was able to clean up behind it, and then rebed it in 3M 5200, and then clamp it all together with the aluminum plate and nuts.  On my last outing I used the winch to pull the entire weight of the boat up a bit higher on the trailer.  This was on land, so the boat was not floating at all.  I was a bit nervous about doing that, but wanted to test the strength of my repair.  It took the weight without any problem.  

On the tiller extension, I called Forespar, the manufacturer.  They're supposed to send me the socket that fits into the tiller.  Haven't received it yet.

SKIP - what is the purpose of the trailer modification?  It looks like it is to make the place where the roller touches the bow a bit lower.  Is that what it's for?  If so, why is that a good idea?  Just trying to get educated.

skip1930

Pounding the U-Bolt back through a too small hole, dislodging the wood. Good Point. Never thought about that either....Drill Baby Drill!
Then pound.

skip.