a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Drain holes and water in the hull

Started by jayhawker, September 26, 2011, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayhawker

I am new to sailing and just bought a picnic cat three weeks ago.  I don't have all the sailing language correct but I have several questions.  In the manual it says to leave the drain holes open while sailing and I think at dock.  We have a small electric motor in back and two marine batteries.  The boat takes on water while sailing and in dock if drain plugs are not in place.  Yesterday we had a rainstorm and 5 gallons of water accumulated in cockpit.  I tried to drain but only more water came in so I used bailed and toweled to empty.  It is raining again and I know the boat is filling again.  Any suggestions??  Also during the rain the side bilge took on about 3 gallons of water even though the seat was closed and locked.  Did not know this would happen. The front and other side bilge did not take on water.  Help!!!! I appreciate your responses. Jayhawker.

CaptRon28

I don't have a Picnic Cat but these general suggestions should help -

I'm assuming that these drain holes are all supposed to be above the normal water line. My Horizon has 4 drain holes at two heights (cockpit and hull bottom) and they are always above. Move weight from the back to the front. That could mean having to relocate the two batteries, which could easily weigh over 80 pounds for the pair. Don't store anything back there - the mid-section or bow is usually a better place. When sailing or motoring, scatter the crew and passengers around the boat. You don't want everone in the stern for several reasons. Since the bilge water will probably wind up back in the stern, pump it out occasionally and possibly get a float controlled electric bilge pump.

You'll probably have to align or change a gasket on the hatch covering the storage locker or bilge. These should not leak. Check the other side to see what's different. One general comment about bilges - you need to have one bilge, not several scattered around the boat. Nearly evey boat has holes drilled in the framework under the cabin and cockpit soles to allow water to seek it's lowest depth, and that's where you install or feed any bilge pumps, manual or electric.

Do any other Picnic Cats have this problem? I never heard any real complaints, so it's got to be in this one boat.

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Bob23

Hi Jay and welcome aboard!
   My first thought as I read your post is where are the batteries located? At the stern? If so, that my be a good part of your problem. Maybe you can move 'em forward somehow and use longer cables. Just a thought.
   Where do you sail?
Bob23  in NJ

jayhawker

It is not possible to change the batteries or lengthen the cords.  I have been looking at flow max drain scrupper as someone recommended these.  Do you know anything about these and wether these would work.  I sail in a river/salt water lagoon in Florida. What is wrong with just getting better drain plugs and leaving them in while sailing and at dock?

CaptRon28

The scuppers are supposed to be above the water line. Installing better drain plugs might make things a drop better, but it not really a fix. If one of them eventually goes bad and water backs in you could lose the boat. If they work and you get a day or two of very heavy rain you could wind up with a similar situation. Water has to be able to exit the boat via a mechanism that won't let it back in. Note that the flow max won't let the water out of your boat if it's ball has floated up to block the hole. Take a look at other Picnic Cats and try to figure out why your drains are under water.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

DW

Hi Jayhawker,

We leave in the drain plugs all the time.  As I understand it, the plugs are supposed to be in while on the water, but need to be removed while on the trailer to allow rain to drain  from the cockpit.  (As you know, it's a big cockpit and can collect a lot of rain.)  Our PC stays on a trailer and under a tarp, so rain collecting in the cockpit hasn't been a problem.  If you leave the boat at a mooring, you might need a tarp or boat cover so you can leave in the drain plugs and not have to worry about rain collecting.

Regarding the weight in the stern, my wife and I found it helps the trim of the PC to move as much weight forward as possible.  We have a group 27 marine battery (about 60 pounds) and trolling motor (30-40 pounds) which--along with my 165 pounds at the tiller--put a bit of weight on the stern of a 500-pound boat.  When we were having the boat built, the folks at Com-Pac constructed a battery platform in the forward storage compartment and ran a long wire down the port side to the stern.  I drilled a 1-1/8" hole well above the waterline on the outside of the stern, wired a trolling motor receptacle, and put everything back together.  Now the battery can stay in the bow where it helps the trim of the boat, plus it's really easy to plug in the trolling motor when we're ready to go.  (BTW, a 40# thrust, 36" shaft Motor Guide is plenty for the Picnic Cat.)

Rigging the battery in the forward compartment would take a little time (I'm fairly inept at home and boat repairs, so a skilled craftsperson could do it more quickly), and probably cost $100, but it should add to the enjoyment of your Picnic Cat,  Might be worth it if you plan to keep the boat awhile.

Hope some of this is helpful.  Good luck.--DW