a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16 Anchor on Bowsprit

Started by Tim F, August 15, 2011, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim F

I have a CP16/3 that I leave in the water during the summer. I haven't made use of the anchor roller on the bowsprit yet because I'm not sure the best way to hold down the anchor down when not in use.

Does one simply bungee it in place? It seems like it would scratch up the sprit. Does the chain remain attached? Again, doesn't it scratch your topsides and leave rust stains?

Thanks for your advice.

-Tim

skip1930

There. Saves a 1000 words. Have to drill a hole for the pin in the anchor shank and maybe at the tac of the furler or standing fwd rigging. The vinyl coated chain stays attached, and stays put on a pitching deck. Always looks neat and tidy. That's important.

skip.

Tim F

Your response was indeed worth a thousand words. Thanks a lot for the great pictures.

-Tim

buckaroo

What does Hutchins call the steel hoop that attaches to the bow roller?  That grab-handle looking thing?  I chewed mine up with a  hacksaw blade while attempting to cut out the rust-fused bolt that needed to be replaced.  I'd like to order another one.

Salty19

I think it's called a roller guide, but not sure.  Describe it to Hutchins, they'll hook you up I'm sure.

As a side note, West Marine sells a pin (Seadog brand) which has a quick release ball bearing activated by a small push knob. It's only about $6--very nice for holding the anchor as it's easy to remove and insert. A small hole is in the piece facilitating a 1/16" line to attach it the boat. Can't loose it that way.  I don't trust it for trailering, but while on the water it's a time saver.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99926&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50046&classNum=50056

The 5/16" size works for the CP19, don't know if the 16 is 1/4 or 5/16
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Pacman

To me, the main benefit of an anchor on a bow roller is that the anchor can be stored on the bow and deployed from the cockpit. 

However, most designs have a safety pin that must be removed before deploying the anchor so that benefit is lost because you have to go forward to remove the pin.

I use an alternative approach so I can deploy my anchor from the cockpit:

I lead the anchor line from the cockpit to the bow and then back to the cockpit.

Then I put a shackle on a second line 18' long that I use to bring the anchor line back alongside the cockpit for retreival.

The shackle rides on the anchor line and lets me retreive the anchor from the cockpit without having to go forward.

Simple, cheap, and effective.  Just not as "shippy" as a bow roller.

Still, it is a good solution for an old guy like me.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Bob23

Salty:
  I have the same pin which locks my anchor to a u shaped thingy on the bow pulpit. It works great since I always deploy my anchor from the foredeck. I can pay out as much line as I need to and cleat if off at the bow cleat. Maybe I can find a photo:

It goes through that u-shaped clip and a hole in the anchor. This anchor, by the way, is a rare Euro model with the S-shaped shaft. Don't ask how it came to be S-shaped.
   Notice also the anti-chafe gear on the anchor chain made from old Carhartt material.
bob23

Salty19

Bob,  A euro model you say? Do tell...don't worry your secret is safe with us!

Anyhoo...Yep, that's the same easy to remove pin.

Pacman, I'm having trouble picturing your setup.  Sounds interesting though. Any pics? 
I don't miss going on deck on the 16 that is for sure.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Spilling the beans:
   I can sail my boat just fine but I cannot enter or back out of a boat slip to save my buttusky. I think that's why I'm refered to as "the pinball wizard"...bouncing off pilings. Not severly because I'm cautious and slow but I still manage to hit 'em.
   A few years ago I was backing out solo with a stiff side wind to contend with. As I did, of course I got the anchor hug up on a piling while motoring backwards and then heard a "twang" as the poor rig shuttered when we got free. When I next saw the anchor, the shaft which is about 3/8" thick stainless steel, had a newly aquired bend to it. Checking the pulpit, rig and everything else that could have been damaged, I found none.
   The old anchor still works great. It just a reminder that I'm much happier being on a mooring where I can't hit anything...well, almost. But that's another story.
bob23
   Anyway, I like the anchor holding pin. It must be strong, it was holding the anchor during the above noted piling -kissing!

MKBLK

Bob23 - Couldn't resist replying to your last post on this thread. Many moons ago (make that decades!) I had a little mishap in Mystic Seaport, CT. I actually hit the racing sloop Columbia! Very gently, of course... but I did get some pretty chilling stares... brrr. Long story.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Marty:
   Sounds like a  have some competition for the coveted "Pinball Wizard Award"! There should make some great story telling at the 2012 Compac Yacht Barnegat Bay Bash or whatever it'll be named!
   I haven't hit another boat yet, but  this summer when some stupid blonde girl decided to stop her little powerboat right infront of me while tacking in a narrow channel, I got pretty close. The boat was about a 16 footer, I'm in my 23 so I decided the rules of the road applied...I just kept tacking because there wasn't a whole lot else to do. About 50 feet from impact, she got the message. Atta girl!
   Btw, no reflections on the blondes reading this. Or other blondes in general. She just happened to be blonde.
   I think all powerboaters should at least be educated as to why sailboats generally have the right of way. Maybe then they would appear smarter than they actually are.
   But, hey...I've drifted a bit here...this thread was about anchors on CP 16's! Sorry,
Bob23