a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Power Washers.........

Started by Glenn Basore, July 30, 2011, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

For some time now I have been thinking of buying a "power washer" to clean my Eclipse. (she sits on the hard and is only in the water for a day or two at any time and then hosed off after pulled out of the water).

Washing her is getting harder to do the older I get and I thought a power washer might make cleaning the deck areas much easier. I have been using a stiff brush and doing it by hand.

I have looked at several power washers of all different sizes and $$$ but have not made up my mind which one to buy and thought I would ask the Com Pac Family for their suggestions, So.............

Glenn B.

brackish

Glenn, I have a Porter Cable pressure washer or at least it is branded as such.  Gas driven with a Honda engine it has been excellent.  The pressure pump was made by Devilbiss Air Power Corp in Arkansas.  I have to say that I didn't do any research before I bought it, I worked for the Pentair Tool Group at the time who owned Porter Cable, DAPC, Delta and Biesemeyer, so the employee discount was such that no other brand was considered. 

Can't tell you if they are any good today there has been so much inbreeding with Black & Decker, Stanley etc., but I think DAPC is still making pressure pump ends in Arkansas for various brands, and I believe they are privately owned now, a good thing.

I use it to clean the bottom slime when I pull the boat once a year for a road trip.  It works great for that and while I have it out, I clean the rest of the boat, however, I'm not sure I would drag it out just for that.  The best thing I've found for cleaning topsides is Starbrite Nonskid deck cleaner with PTEF.  That stuff is great.  Brush it on, let it sit for five minutes or so, then hose it off.  It leaves a film that is not slippery that keeps the bird droppings and other grime from sticking to the boat.

A word of caution if you are standing on your deck using a pressure washer.  Wear good shoes and be careful with that thing.  A sweep over a bare foot can cut you badly.  Voice of experience here.

Glenn Basore

Interesting about the Starbrite Nonskid deck with PTF...........I have used Starbrite in the past, may be it wasn't the same, it was a pad and a lot of hard scrubbing!

Once a year after the deck is cleaned good, I use "Woodies non slick wax" which was easy to put on and it dried nice.

As to the power washers, I don't know if I need one as big, I have seen some electric ones where you can add soap to them.

The problem I have when looking at them at Home Depot or any other home improvement center is, there doesn't seem to be a good in between model, the bottom end ones are cheaply made and the nicer ones just seem to be an over kill.

I guess I will just pick one out, most like at the lower mid range next week.

Thanks for your in put.

Glenn

Harrier

Was reading through some old posts, came across this one and thought I'd share a recent experience.

I was feeling lazy, and for the first time hauled my pressure washer down to the boat for its spring cleaning.  Head down, I got straight to work pressure washing the deck, starting at the bow and working back.  Everything was going great - and then I turned around.   >:(  Everywhere the wand hose was draped against something I had nice black streaks caused by the vibration in the line as it chattered on the surface.  The worst marks were on my mast, which was unstepped and on deck.  My stomach turned when my initial efforts could not get the black stains out of the anodized finish.   With some scotchbrite, a myriad of different cleaners, and one shoulder, I finally got them back to 95%.  No matter what I did I could not get that last little bit up. 

Anyway, needless to say I saved no time in using the pressure washer and will never be taking one on deck again!

MacGyver

I will chime in with our Marina experience.
We use a 1500 PSI on the bottoms of boats. this of course can be rough on a bottom. but for the most part we stay back a bit and gets all the growth off.

As far as decks goes, We too had Harriers issue, although caught it much earlier. Now decks are cleaned using a deck cleaner and only a pressure washer if another guy is present to keep the hose up. Usually the boat is in really bad shape on top to use a pressure washer.

A few years ago we used to have high schoolers do the work, they were employed as summer help........bad economy...... no more of them helping anymore........and now we dont clean too many boats..

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Wiggs

I went with the cheap model. I use it on the boat as well as driveway, pool cage, etc. Made in China and no ficing once it breaks. Seem to last a year or two, just long enough to getout of warranty. But I use it pretty hard. Run it for several hours at a time (seem to save up all my cleaning needs), but at about a hundred bucks it is not so bad.

Wiggs

carry-on

Wiggs,
Where can one buy a 1500psi  gas pressure washer for $100-$150? I would like one to take the ablative paint off the bottom of my 16.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

I can't believe this subject is still going!

I did buy a "Rokford" about a year ago?   It has two soap containers which are easy to fill.

I think it's rated at 1500 psi and I think I paid $175.00

Since I've bought this unit, cleaning the boat is a snap, especially the none skid area, you know how the basket weave pattern has all those little nooks and cranies that dirt just loves to get into, the dirt can't hide now, the pressure washer just blast it out.

No more chemicals and using a stiff brush to get that dirt out, just point the nozel and its gone!

Best investment I've made to maintain my boat.

Glenn

NAY

They make non marring hoses for pressure washers. I you wish to
  reduce the the PSI don't run the engine full throttle. Carry-on, you
  are welcome to use my power washer if you wish. I will bring it to you
  if need be.

NAY   

Wiggs

Sorry if I confused, mine is electric.

Wiggs

Salty19

I've got one of those Generac gas 3100psi, adjustable pressure, commercial pump models.  It's not as portable as smaller units, but there is little it can't clean. With quotes I've received to do the house, drive, deck, etc, etc that all need it, it was a lot cheaper to just get a good one that could do anything and be useful for years. 

Based on what it's done to a 25 year old concrete drive, cleaning the boat should be a very quick task.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

I just run the boat over to the coin car wash and spend $10 in quarters once a year when I pull her out for storage.

skip.