a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Purpose of line

Started by CaptRon28, July 18, 2011, 05:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

I've got 3 lines on the starboard side of the boat - the two 3/8 inch halyards (throat and peak) and an unknown 1/4 inch line running inboard of these two on a separate spinlock clutch. The boom downhaul and forward stay are on the port side. The line is way too short to be a gaf downhaul, and the forward end of the boom has a hook for the reef. I really can't see a purpose for this line, and I'm tempted to attach it to the two lazy jack control lines I installed last year. Make it a lot easier when I drop the sail. Anyone else have this phantom line, and what is it used for?

I'm real happy with this boat after 17 months of ownership. Didn't use it much last year because of medical problems, but I'm starting to make up for that now. It sails a lot better than I thought a small cat boat could do. It points nearly as well as a sloop, and I've gotten up to around 5 knots several times in maybe 12 knots of wind.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Joseph

Hi CaptRon,

In my SunCat a line that follows your description is the line for the boomvang. From the cleat to starboard it goes to a block at the foot of the mast and from there it makes 3 or 4 purchases to a block underneath the boom.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

CaptRon28

Not sure about that on the Horizon. The line is too small (1/4 inch) and short for a vang and there are no blocks mounted on the boom where a vang would go. None of the factory photo's or videos show a vang either. It's a good idea and I may do one, but I'd need at least 3/8 inch line to make it work.
Ron Marcuse

Salty19

Could be a flag or anchor light halyard?  Not being familiar with the Horizon cat, that is just a wild guess.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

CaptRon28

Quote from: Salty19 on July 19, 2011, 12:54:03 PM
Could be a flag or anchor light halyard?  Not being familiar with the Horizon cat, that is just a wild guess.

Too short. There's perhaps 3 feet of line at the mast, about the same after the clutch. Sound about right for a lazy jack control line, but I installed the lazy jacks last year.
Ron Marcuse

jerryd

Hello Ron,
I have a third line that is located on the port side.  The end is attached to the sail luff about half way up and I'm guessing it is used to help lower the sail for reefing when one has waited too long.  Glad your enjoying your cat.  I'm not located near any big water and hauling it around has had its' challenges.  Hummingbird is now happily dancing around in a slip at a marina on the Chesapeake Bay.  A bit of a drive but much cheaper with the Civic than a power stroke pickup and it sure is nice to just step in and go.

CaptRon28

Jerry -

I suppose it's got to be for a reef line. Nothing else make sense. But the line is on the thin side (1/4 inch?) and there's a good sized hook at the forward end of the boom for that purpose. Also - I've never had to pull the gaf, sail or boom down. Just let go of the 2 halyards, accounting for the 3 to 1 factor on the peak halyard, and gravity does the rest.

I spent about 10 years on the Chesapeake on a 40 foot Catalina with slips in Annapolis and Rock Hall. Really enjoyed it there, but the 2+ hour drive from NJ got to me in the end.
Ron Marcuse

shamblin

could it be a "release my anchor" line?