News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

WHAT IS US COAST GUARD CAPACITY FOR SUNCAT?

Started by kenf1111, July 14, 2011, 06:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenf1111

We are new suncat owners (1st season with a 2004)
We cannot for the life of us find a Coast Guard Capacity Plate on the hull.
Can someone tell us where to look and/or
What is the maximum weight of persons on board in pounds,
the maximum carrying weight of the boat in pounds and
the maximum horsepower recommended for the boat.
Thanks in advance
Ken

capt_nemo

The Capacity Plate on my 2010 Sun Cat is located at the rear of the cockpit by the tiller.

I'm travelling (away from my boat) so I can't answer your capacity questions.

capt_nemo

kenf1111

Thanks.. but we have looked there(near tiller).. no plate we have looked all over the transom..no plate... Anyone know this information?

kenf1111

I searched this forum for info and came across the answer in a subject called "passenger rating". The post was made in :
Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association > Model Specific Forums > CP-16's > passenger rating

If anyone else in interested in this info it can be found there, but here is a formula that is noted:
Hi Gary,

For some reason sailboats do not specify the passenger capacity.  Chapman's book "Piloting Seamanship and Small Boat Handling" (1983, page 108) shows this equation for an estimate of capacity:

(L x B) / 15 = Number of persons. 

L is the overall length in feet and B is maximum width in feet.  So, using numbers from the web, length is 16' and beam is 6', so (16' x 6') / 15 = 6.4.  You can assume the boat can carry up to 6 people.

The same page shows the weight carrying capacity:

7.5 x L x B x De = Allowable weight in pounds.

"De" is the minimum effective depth in feet (empty boat?).  Using 1.33' as the draft, a Com-pac 16 then has a weight capacity of  about 950 pounds.

Use these numbers with some caution, as they are only simple estimates.

Ernie (Molly, 23/II 1984)

I just thought it prudent to repost what I found..

Tom Ray

Ken, they did not put capacity plates on the boats until Com-Pac applied for EU certification. Your boat predates the plates.

People have put larger engines, but a 4 or 5 hp is plenty. I would not put a two cylinder outboard on a Sun Cat, but it has been done and nothing broke.

gato chateau

It's 5 people or ~ 1,750 lbs.  Recommended horsepower is 5 HP.  I have a 6 HP Nissan/Tohatsu sailpro which works just fine.  My boat's in slip on Lake Cayuga in Ithaca NY 250 miles north so quoting from memory but I spent the better part of Saturday adjusting the tiller lock while under power so I think I got it right (have a 2011 with sticker under tiller).

--Brian