a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CDI FF1 Jib Furler Report

Started by Gil Weiss, May 14, 2005, 08:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Weiss

Well, we got to try out our new roller furling jib set up yesterday and it worked great making it well wirth the investment.

After launching our boat for the season last Sunday, Carole and I were ready for some sailing this weekend. Weather here in SE PA was terrific yesterday with a glum forecast for the weekend.

I left work at noon and did not return! We went to the lake , rigged the sails and left the dock. I read the manual several times and after stepping the mast with the furler on the forestay last week, I had no problem putting on our modified jib using the furler halyard set up.

The winds picked up to a steady 10-15 when we sailed out into the lake around 4 PM. The jib performed flawlessly. Adjusting it for different conditions was easy. It was everything we expected it to be and well worth the investment. Rolling it up for putting the boat away took 3 seconds. Plus it wasn't in the way bunched up at the bow while docking. (I used a down haul on my old set up which helped a lot.)

Whilw making things a bit more dificult for trailer sailors, the furler is a great upgrade for marina sailors.

I bought the furler and had my jib modifed at Linthicum Sails in Sommerdale NJ. Great folks to deal with. After losing an important clevis pin in the furler set up last weekend, the  helpful folks at CDI promptly mailed me out another one at no cost.

This pretty much has completed my CP16 set up. Not much more to upgrade. I have a solar powered electrical system, the foiled rudder and now the furler. I have also started using color coded control lines and the velcro straps sold by marine stores to keep all the lines tidy. My mainsail cover, tiller cover match the sewn on cover to the jib so the boat even looks "spiffy" sitting closed up at the dock.

CP16 sailing is a great thing . . . .

Craig

Gil,

Did the sailmaker attach a luff tape or/or foam to keep the sail rolling even?

Glad to hear you've been out.  Solitude's still in storage. Latest project is a rotting back door that needs my attention... Oh well.  :?

Craig

Gil Weiss

Yes, the sail maker attached the luff tape, sewed on the brown sail cover material and mounted the furler on my forestay. It still took a bit to figure out on my end, not being familiar with furlers, but all went smoothly and it really works well.

I put the trailer away today so there is no sailboat stuff on my lawn. Hoping to get out tomorrow if the weather works with us.

Good to hear from you.