a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

look what I found in the bilge

Started by GrafLuckner, May 26, 2011, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrafLuckner

Restoring my CP23/1; after 6 years of neglect, I am the first explorer to spelunk into the the bilge and found a funky green bucket/camel back in there. Does anyone have an idea what it is or what it is used for? It fits perfectly into the bilge, has 2 handles, is made of green sturdy soft plastic, holds water; has a logo with the name RELIABLE on it.

GrafLuckner

here is a pic of the thing;
was it there just by accident? is it used to haul out the bilge water? Is it an insert for fresh water? Inquiring minds need to know.

GrafLuckner

correction: the name is RELIANCE and they seem to make a lot of water containers... http://www.relianceproducts.com/products/hydration.html
still, why was it in the bilge?

Billy

out of sight, out of mind, is my guess. That is where I put the empty beer bottles! And then they probably forgot.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

crazycarl

bilges are strange areas to explore.  one never knows what lurks down there.  i've pulled many a strange item from bilges over the years.  once, while cleaning out a particular large and deep bilge, i swear i saw two eyes and a bearded face much like a garden gnome staring back at me!  now i've heard tales from old sailors of a mystical creature that  prefers dark, damp places and rarely, if ever, have been seen by humans.  it is said they have a habit of squirrelling away bits of junk they've collected from topsides.   

they were probably using the container for fresh water.  keep looking, if i'm right, you'll come upon such items as cooking utensils, rusty fasteners, bits of rope, whistles, can openers, lighters, compasses, and anything else you thought you misplaced over the years.

BE FORWARNED! one old sailor advised me never to evict one of these creatures.  he stated that although while on your boat they don't particularly bring good luck, you are sure to find bad luck after forcing one to leave your boat. 

my advice?  don't go looking for for one of these creatures.  the best way to determine if your boat is harboring one is if after a day of sailing you return to the dock with less beer than you can recall drinking, it's a pretty good indication that you have one on board!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

SpeakEasy

Quote from: GrafLuckner on May 26, 2011, 08:38:59 PM
I am the first explorer to spelunk into the the bilge

Spelunk is the perfect word to describe what one has to do to gain entry to the bilge of a 23!

-Speak

GrafLuckner

Quotenow i've heard tales from old sailors of a mystical creature that  prefers dark, damp places and rarely, if ever, have been seen by humans

in german we call this dude "Klabautermann". about the size of a hobbit; you see him on board, you better get out of there as fast as possible.

LConrad

GrafKuckner,

Any chance you are actually in Germany? I happen to be visiting Munchen and on to Zurich Switzerland. Have not seen any ComPacs yet.