a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Westerbeke 7A-1

Started by dplxx, May 01, 2005, 08:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplxx

I have had alot of trouble with this engine. The alternater belt keeps breaking. I have tried many different ones but the belt must be one of those emergency belts since there is no way to put on a one piece.

Also I am getting an oil leak at the head gasket in spite of having a mechanic re-torque the screws at 50 hours as recommended. There are only 60 hours on the engiine.

What is your experience? Any advice?

Lastly,  aside from the engine, the swing keel is stuck in the up position. Any advice for freeing it up aside from taking it out of the water.

Thanks,

dl

Craig

I have neither a diesel nor a centerboard, so take this for what it's worth.

With the diesel I'd be grumbling at Westerbeke big time. Only 50+ hours and the head gasket is leaking and the alternator belt has gone several times?  Have you talked to the dealer or to Com-Pac directly? I doubt they want the Horizon Cat to get the reputation of having an unreliable auxilliary.

The centerboard is just curious.  I do not know if Com-Pac is using the same kind of unit they used in the 16 and the Sun Cat which is a pre-manufactured stainless board and trunk unit. If it is the trunk is stainless and should give you a good surface to gentle pry on. Is there any way to pry on the board from the bottom? I realize CT water has to be c-c-c-cold this time of year :(

Well, just wanted you to know someone read you post. I'm probably of no help...

Craig

Craig Weis

You know thinking about the center board being stuck, it may be that the pivoting bolt packing and nut is too tight and causing the board to bind. The control line for the board must be free to 'run' with the board, and I'm sure the weight of the board has enough pounds to be lowered by it's self without any prying. So if your in salt water how about creatures moving into the space between the board and the trunk?  Is the board centered in the trunk? If the board is pulled up too far is that position beyond the horizontal.