a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

outboard engine lock to fit 6 HP Tohatsu/Nissan

Started by gato chateau, April 16, 2011, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gato chateau

I thought I had located the perfect solution, Stazo lock, which has great reviews.  Unfortunately site that sells lock, Sailer's Solutions, has list of engines not compatible (must be mount design) and my SailPro is on the list of not compatible. 

Curious what other lock solutions owners of the Tohatsu or Nissan small HP engines typically use?

skip1930

I use a Master lock with a very long hasp. Goes through both finger tightener holes and locks them so these can not be loosened.
Keeps the motor from vibrating off but as we all know LOCKS ONLY KEEP HONEST PEOPLE HONEST!.

I suppose one could sink an eye bolt into the mount and then lock the finger tightener to that....times 2.

skip. One can see the key end of the lock through the finger tighteners in this pick. Also note the hand sawed aluminum plate bolted to the original motor mount location. From that plate the motor is re-fitted 2" back off the transom and 2" further down into the water, and mounted in 2" rubber blocks that transmit less engine vibration into the hull. And the top of the locking bar with lanyard of the motor mount has been ground away to assist in getting that top notch to be locked in easier by avoiding the rub rail on the hull. No extra charge. Thank you.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Skip likes to keep his prop fresh and crispy although he sacrifices some forward speed.
bob23

Shawn

I use the MasterLock outboard lock. Needs a little foam rubber in it to keep it from rattling though.

Just about any of the simpler locks that attach to/around the mounting screws are pretty easy to get around though.

Shawn

skip1930

The bag was collecting the hy-poide 80/90 lube out of the lower end for a few hours and I needed something to do so I took a picture.

The lower end was refilled with 600 steam locomotive oil used in 1928 through 1931 for The Ford Model 'A' tranmixer, rear end and steering box. The stuff is so thick it would not dare to leak out past any of the felt seals... It is not 600 weight oil.

skip.

skip1930

The time before last I thought I found a little bit of water mixed into the lower end.
It might have leaked a bit. But not with 600 oil.

skip.