News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

the rudder hold-down/pull-up handle ; more info /pics ?

Started by hockeyfool, April 16, 2011, 01:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I'm about to buy some stuff from Hutchins, and the rudder handle is one I'm interested in,
does it lock or hold down the pop-up rudder as well as pull up when needed ?
can someone send a pic of yours -if you have it ?

brackish

The current rudder on the 23 is a foiled rudder.  the handle has tabs that lock on the top of yoke extension to hold it up or on the bottom to hold it down.  In each case, a shock cord with hooks is required to hold the tab in place on the yoke. They are hooked to a small strap eye on the tiller.  I've found that the size/tension of the shock cord is important.  You want it to hold the rudder down no matter how heavy the weather, but still allow it to pop up in the event you hit something.  I'm planning to add two tangs to the end of the yoke to keep the handle centered on the yoke, it has a tendency to slide off sideways when in heavy weather.  You don't notice it until weather helm increases dramatically.

I'm not sure that the current handle, that comes with the foil rudder, will fit the older style rudder.  you should check that out unless you are buying the whole rudder system.  If you are getting an old style handle I don't know anything about that.

this picture shows it locked in the down position

LConrad

The shock cord is needed. My retrofit would fall out of place without the cord.

skip1930

I always am suspect about that kick-up rudder. My set up puts the bottom of the rudder slightly above the bottom of my 'KEEL BOOT' and I really got tired of pushing the IdaSailor rudder [or factory rudder] back down after plowing through a pile of seaweed. I drilled a hole clean through ever thing and bolted in a snowblower sheer pin.
I put a pipe on the 'snug-up' handle and squeezed the water out of it with a drop of Permatex Red Thread-Set. Just for poops and grins. I push the collected seaweed off with my telescoping boat pole with the hook. Less work. Or can get it off by reversing the outboard motor.

skip.