a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loose Footed Main Rigging

Started by Tim F, March 30, 2011, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Well, I have to admit, I like the loose footed main on my Force 5. I learned more about sail shape and control on that boat then I could have in any book.
Bob23

Salty19

I really like the loose foot. More neutral helm and more speed.  Combined with a foiled rudder, tiller effort is minimal, yet it will still head up if you let go.

When I had the 16, had a new main made with the loose foot.  The foot had a slug-type device sewed into the foot.  No add'l purchase. It was a little tough to adjust.  Had to head up and let the main flog a bit, tighten or loosen, then head off again.

Now that my brother has this boat, of course he won't listen to his younger 'baby' brother about adjustment or sailing tips (so it remains tight as he read in 'sailing for dummies' and looses a lot of performance by having the outhaul too tight).  One of these days he'll listen.  I've stopped preaching though.

On the 19, I just tied a slug, available from defender.com for about $2.50, onto the aft grommet with 1/8" amsteel line (very strong stuff).   3:1 purchase (two single blocks).  Like Hideaway described, the outhaul bitter end is adjusted forward near the mast (move the cleat) so it can be adjusted while maintaining a tack.  Works well...need a little muscle to adjust but not bad really.

Adjusting the outhaul is definitely a technique any decent sailor should use for better sail shape and control of the boat.  Tighten when winds are high, loosen when light winds.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Shawn

"and love to hang out over the side of the boat to reach the boom and perform the adjustment."

That is why I moved the cleat for the outhaul much further forward on the boom. It will make it considerably easier to adjust.

Shawn

Tim F

Thanks for all the replies to my questions.

-Tim

skip1930

Loose mains. Loose like the head sail, HUmmmmmm
All that fancy sail talk is fine...but will it make the boat go any faster?
Some swear by it, some sear at it.

skip.

Shawn

"...but will it make the boat go any faster?"

In lighter air conditions (say around 5 to 10 or 12 knots when you aren't at hull speed) I think it will give more speed. In very light air there probably isn't much of a difference as you typically want to flatten the sail again anyway.

Shawn