a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boomkicker

Started by tmorgan, February 16, 2011, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

Has anyone installed a boomkicker on their Sun Cat?  I saw a write up about boomkickers in the Small Craft Advisor that just arrived in the mail.  The website indicates they make one for the Sun Cat.

skip1930

A boom kicker.

Is that a thing that goes from the base of the mast to the boom to support the boom without sail or a line from the top-O-mast? Lazy Jack?

Does that work with a gaff rig? Or a folding mast?

I don't know, since it may require a hole in the cabin, I'd have to think about it for a very long time.
Then I would forget why I was thinking about it and foreget it.

Just me. skip. Probably be in the way too.

capt_nemo

As a matter of fact I saw the same article and was intrigued by its function. Went to the website for info. It mounts near the base of the mast either in the slot or fixed externally to the mast, and consists of one or more fiberglass rods which are attached under the boom. With sail at full hoist and gooseneck in position the rods are straight pushing the boom slightly upward serving to take the weight of the boom off the sail for better shape in light winds. With mainsheet alone or with the addition of a small vang or tackle, the boom can be pulled down to suit your fancy, flexing the rods with boom end moving downward. It serves to primarily eliminate the need for a topping lift in addition to lifting the boom weight in light air as mentioned earlier.

I'm particularly interested in both of its functions because I'm in the process of designing and making a light air mainsail for my Sun Cat and need to accomplish exactly what it does!

At this point however, I'm concerned about the proper mounting on our Sun Cats since our booms in travel position are lower than when in sailing position. If either end of the rods is, or can be made, quick fasten/quick release,  perhaps once properly adjusted/fastened, we just have to incorporate attaching and detaching into our "at the ramp" routines.

If anyone has installed one on a Sun Cat PLEASE reply!

Tom Ray

I have installed them on a couple of Precision 185's and they can be released quickly. It would probably be necessary to release and remove the Boomkicker to get the boom all the way down to fold the mast. Not a big deal. As I recall, it was a pin with a split ring at the mast end and the boom rested in a canvas strap on the other end. The part that slides into the mast groove is small and just stays in place. Attaching and removing the Boomkicker was a normal part of rigging and derigging those boats. If it was a pain in the butt, I would remember why! I just remember it being pretty quick and painless.

It's a great addition to a P-185, but I question whether it could support the weight of the much longer Sun Cat main boom, especially if you flake the sail and gaff boom on top. But if they say it can, then I guess it can!

cavie

You would still need the lazy jacks to hols the sail and gaft in place on the boom.

tmorgan

It seems it would help sailing downwind as well by holding the boom down.  I was wondering about resting the boom on the gallows when the sail is down. I assume the main sheet would just hold it there.  I would not want to have to disconnect it all the time; just when I travel.

ontarioSuncat

Seems it would work for fixed gooseneck booms. The Suncat boom moves up and down. How it the boomkicker going to adjust for the change in length? Could not see the need for it on my Suncat.

Tom Ray

The boomkicker only pushes upward, and the Sun Cat boom's upward travel is limited by the downhaul, so it is fixed, or at least fixed enough to work.

You can also pin the boom in place with the long pin, which is not how it is supposed to be used, but is something some of us do anyway. ;)

ontarioSuncat

I understand that part, but when I look at the device it looks like it has to be taken apart to lower the boom to fold the mast. Is this easy to do?

capt_nemo

Talked to Ted Corlett, the boomkicker guy, and also exchanged e-mails with him.

The essential elements of information are as follows:

Boomkickers have been used on just a few Com-Pac Cat Boats.

For easy rigging there is a quick pin at the mast fitting near the base of the mast. Pull the vertical pin and you can slide the Boomkicker forward out of the track fitting under the boom. A quick pin at the boom is another option.

The boom gooseneck is best fixed in one location on the mast or at least repositioned for sailing to the same place. We could use a sliding track stop (at a marked location) and our downhauls to hold it in place or, as Tom Ray suggested, pin it in place using the longpin, which is done by some Sun Cat Sailors.

CONCLUSION: If you want the boom weight taken off the mainsail for better shape in light winds, and do away with any version of a topping lift line yet still retain the primary advantages of boom gallows clearance and boom control when reefing, the boom kicker seems to be able to perform those functions. After initial installation it should be quick to rig and unrig at the ramp.

tmorgan

Thanks for the responses.  I appreciate the information.

gray

Capt Nemo. It sounds as if you might be ready to take the plunge with the boomkicker. I was also intrigued by the article in SCA and thought it might be a good alternative to a topping lift/ lazy jacks. Would it do away with the need for a boom vang or would you use it in conjuntion with one? Please let us know how it works if you proceed.
Cheers, Gray on SVNemo

capt_nemo

Gray,

No, the Boomkicker by itself will not do away with the need for a boom vang or lazy jacks for that matter, if otherwise needed. Remember the boomkicker pushes the Boom UPWARD in its straight normal position to take the weight of the boom off the sail and achieve better shape in light winds. It also does away with the need for a Topping Lift since it pushes the boom upward. It's my understanding that you do not necessarily have to use a boom vang along with the Boomkicker as long as your mainsheet tackle can comfortably overcome the upward force and bring the boom down (bending Boomkicker rods) to where you want it to achieve the desired sail shape. If you would normally use a boom vang on your boat to pull the boom down for better sail shape off the wind, then a boom vang is still needed with the Boomkicker. If I employ a Boomkicker I'll probably use it without Boom Vang initially and add a Boom Vang later if necessary.

capt_nemo

Shawn

"If you want the boom weight taken off the mainsail for better shape in light winds, and do away with any version of a topping lift line yet still retain the primary advantages of boom gallows clearance and boom control when reefing, the boom kicker seems to be able to perform those functions."

To a degree but it isn't quite the same. I had a boomkicker on my trailer sailed Flying Scot but only used it a few times. After that I just used the spinnaker halyard as a topping lift. With the topping lift you can tighten up the main sheet and it will more or less lock the boom in position. When you do this with the boomkicker you end up pulling the boom lower and lower. It doesn't lock in place the same was when you have the topping lift.

Shawn

capt_nemo

OK guys,

Is there any other way to eliminate any version of a Topping Lift or Lazy Jack yet take the weight of the boom and stored mainsail off the Boom Gallows and hold the boom at a reasonably fixed height while allowing it to rotate on its gooseneck?

I need to find a product that accomplishes the aforementioned tasks or design and fabricate my own device (I do have some ideas). I thought the Boomkicker would do the job - and it might very well do so.

The reason is that I intend to fabricate and rig a light air mainsail without removing the working mainsail. It will be gaff headed and loose footed, attached to the boom at tack and clew, and use the mainsheet to control boom position relative to the wind. AND, I don't want any topping lift or lazy jacks getting in the way of my light air mainsail!!!

Any reasonable suggestion would be most welcome and seriously considered. (My home made light air nylon Drifter anxiously awaits her big sister's arrival!)