a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Crutch

Started by Ronn on the Wando, April 15, 2005, 10:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronn on the Wando

Have a boom crutch that will work for short trips - but looking for one that will still stay up on long - sometimes bumpy- trailerings.  Any new ideas out there would be appreciated.

Craig Weis

Boom crutches [while towing?] rate very low on my tow check list. In fact I don't think these are even on the radar screen.
Let's see..
Bow pulpit~check.
Stern pulpit~check.
Mast spans the pulpits~check.
Something under the MAST, like a PFD~check.
Tied down like you never want to take it off in this lifetime~check.

The BOOM. The BOOM, Oh yea, that thing.

I just chuck it down inside of the cabin and tie it to the 'dogs' on my portholes with a little light line. Kind of like a sling fashion, and let her rock a little. I use to lay the boom on the birth but it was always someplace else when I got to wherever I was going. So I hang it now.

dgholmes

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Skip on this one.  If you are a true trailer sailor (trailer to the lake, sail, trailer back home) as I am, the boom crutch is #1 on your list.  There are a few examples on the internet if you type boom crutch in google.  

I found one I really liked, but cant find it.  If I do, I will try to upload the picture.  It is a 2x4 with the top made to support the mast and boom.  I am sure you can figure that part out.  I recommend a boat roller so when you are getting the mast in position to pin, it will roll back on the crutch without effort.  

The tricky part is attaching it.  This guy used those rubber coated wall hangers from the hardware store.  It is the ones that are a u-shaped and attaches to the wall similar to a gun rack. He turned them upside down and attached two of them to the 2x4 such that they would slide over the rudder gungeons from the side.  The rubber coating prevented from scratching stuff.  I dont know if I am clear enough.  I will try to find the picture.  

I made one out of a real childs crutch.  Works pretty well and holds both the mast and boom.  Be sure to make yours tall enough so that the mast clears the hatch when trying to pin your mast.  Mine does and I can still get it in the garage.

I cut a water noodle and put it on the bow pulpit.  The mast sets on the noodle and I bungie it to the pulpit.  The boom and mast rest on the crutch and I bungie them to the crutch.  I then tighten the main halyard which also holds everything down.  I then bungie the boom to the mast with towels wrapped around the mast so each is not scratched.

Hope this helps.

Darrell
CP16 2019

Craig Weis

Still looks like a MAST holder-upper to me. Where is the boom? :shock:  I mean I see the boom in the above pic, so where is the mast? It's not on the crutch. One can't tow the boat with the mast standing up. I think the conversation is about towing the boat down the road. Over bumps and stuff.

Somebody around here had a pic with the boom inside a piece of PVC pipe that was attached to the trailer. Seems like a good idea to me.

Noone is suggesting that they raise and lower the mast with the BOOM still attached...are they? I'm confussed...I confess. skip. :roll:

dgholmes

Yep, it is a mast holder upper for sure.  However, mine is absolutely a CRUTCH.  :D  The mast and boom are both sitting on the crutch.  That is what is nice about the crutch, is the wide platform.  The boom is bungied to the mast.  You could pull this boat down the bumpiest of roads, and that mast and boom are going nowhere.  I actually got this idea from the guy that made the one out of PVC.

Ronn on the Wando

Mea culpa - sorry - end of a long day of teaching when I typed in boom while thinking mast (actually mast and boom).

Thanks for the suggestions - seems to be a truly uncomplicated solution!

Ronn on the Wando

Mea culpa - sorry - end of a long day of teaching when I typed in boom while thinking mast (actually mast and boom).

Thanks for the suggestions - seems to be a truly uncomplicated solution!

Craig Weis

I see a tiller extension under the blue in the pic. I use a Forspar tiller extension [the short one] with that 'cup' that the ball fits into as a tiller lock. A cup is on both sides of the cockpit because at times I can't always park the tiller just where I want it.

One day I sailed for better than 45 minutes without touching the tiller, so I just let her go while I polished the cabin bulkheads on both sides of the dropboard. I just kept an eye on the compass card that did not move. What fun!

dgholmes

Skip,
You have good eye!  Yes, it is a tiller extension.  It is not the best and not the worst.  I like it because you twist it, extend it and twist again to lock it to that length.  I may have to consider the one you mentioned.  I would like to set it and go mess around the boat without tending it.  I will see if I can find it from your description.  If you know the model number, send it my way, please.

Ronn,
I found the picture of the mast crutch I was telling you about.  I like the way it fastens to the rudder.  I would change the top to incorporate a boat roller wide enough to hold both the mast and boom.

By the way, anyone in Texas wanting a Compac 16, this boat is for sale on www.sailingtexas.com/scompac16p.html . The least I could do for him sending me this picture.  :)

Craig Weis

Sounds as if this is the same tiller extension, twist to un-lock. Pull to length and twist the opposite way to lock.  Put the 'ball into the 'cup''s vee and push down. Snap! the tiller is locked in place.

The cup is $25 each and the stick is about $80 to $100 at my "West Marine". As said. Not the best. Not the worst. Good when beating into the wind and one needs to hide behind the dodgerless bulkhead. So we get wet. skip.