a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2011 TICE'S SHOALS RONDAYVOO!

Started by Bob23, February 03, 2011, 08:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Whilst perusing the local paper this morning with black coffee in hand, I suddenly understood why this years Tice's Shoals RonDayVoo will be sparsly attended: August 13th Tony Bennett will be appearing at the Great Auditorium in Ocean Grove, NJ. Man, I'd love to go to that one. So I guess he will not be attending the 'Voo either...too bad...I really like him!
Bob23

HideAway

We saw him at the Clearwater Jazz Holiday a couple of years ago- 4 days & nights of Jazz!   He is truly a class act- a wonderful showman and still a tremendous singer- he had the huge crowd on their feet crying and cheering all at once- We will never forget that October night under the stars  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

Well, the 2011 Tice's Shols 'Voo has come and gone. Jimmy didn't show up. Bruce Springsteen didn't make it either. I think everyone went to see Tony Bennett because, on Friday night, I was the only one there. But, I was due for some solitude time so I'll try to give a report anyway.
  Had a great sail up. Took about 4 hours with the wind from the stern and starboard quarter depending on course.

I did get a chance to try out my new bimini which I named the Econo-bim. Yeah, I may not have much class, but I have some shade!

The first thing I did after setting the hook, was to open a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon which is the official beer of Koinonia. In bottles, if you please.

By the time I got there (5:30) sunset was in about 2 hours so I went for a row to explore the coastline. While this looks like it could be Maine, it's actually the bay coastline of the barrier island at Tic'e Shoals. Rugged, ayuh!

After thinking about dinner, I discovered that I'd left most of my food in the truck! At least I rembered the ice and beer. I'd brought some applea and I always keep crackers and peanut butter on board so I didn't starve. And I remembered this:

Jose Cuervo Reserva, which I brought back from Mexico a few years ago- the official Tequila of Koinonia. Together,we enjoyed one of the timeless sunsets of Tic'e Shoals. I'm not a big Tequila drinker, having abused this wonderful drink in the wasted days my mis-spent youth. But I've redisovered it and do enjoy it in moderation...maybe a wee bit more. Ole!!

Soon it began to get dark, as it usually does after dusk.I had purposely picked this weekend to be up here because of the  full moon rising just before sunset. Hose and I continued to enjoy the slow passing of time...sun and moon do not conform to our busy schedules. Thank God!

Somewhere during this time, I got a call from PeterG who agreed to motor over on Saturday morning with bagels and coffee. Peter and his wife Becky and I met at the very first 'Voo 3 years ago and have beome friends, enjoying pizza's, drinks and each others company now and again. They sail aboard the Beagle 2, a Compac 27 which is for sale presently. I forgot my camera so no photos are available of the fine breakfast Becky whipped up- scones, muffins, bagles and some fresh fruit. And, fresh perked coffee! That is not a misprint: Fresh Perked!
  Of course before they arrived, I made time for a pre-dawn swim in the mighty Atlantic and then sat back to enjoy a beautiful NJ sunrise. Jose did not join me for this one...I thik he had too much to drink the night before!

I won't bore yo uwith the details of the return sail home...about 4 hours of beating and then finally motorsailing. The new sails performed flawlessly and I completed the windward leg with half the tacks as last year with the old sails.  
  Well, there you have it. It was a wonderful weekend of solitude which, in moderation, I do love. Time seemed to slow down while I was there and isn't that something we all desire from time to time? It was a great time to get away. It seems rare these days to just have time to sit and think...and think..and think.
Bob23

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

HideAway

SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

CaptRon28

Bob -

I moved the Horizon to Barnegat Bay today. I sort of got tired of the reservoir, but the main reason was I still can't raise the mast by myself, so I took a slip at Lighthouse Point Marina on Toms River for the rest of the season. The shoulder feels better, but I'm still missing most of the strength needed to raise heavy things over my head. The mast will stay up for the next 2 months and I can sail whenever I want to now. Should have done this a few weeks ago, and I would have made it to the Rondayvoo. Look for a red Horizon Cat sailing around.

The one good thing about the reservoir was that you don't have big power boats passing you at 20+ knots. They must be having some sort of a contest to see who can knock small sailboats around the most. One of then was about 10 feet away from me as he roared by making a huge wake. Last time I was on Barnegat I had the trimaran and I could keep up with some of them. That must have really pissed them off - being passed by a sailboat.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Bob23

Ron:
   It would be great to meet up at Tice's or somewhere. I plan to sail up that way some more this summer and fall. Maybe a Tice's Shoals 'Voo Two!
   I know what you mean about the powerboaters but this summer I've encounted more that have slowed down for me. It's wierd...takes a bit of getting used to. A few summers ago, I was sailing north when a big Hinckey powerboat in dark blue approached my from the rear. As he began to pass, he slowed and the distiguished looking captain aboard, tipped his hat and said, "Nice sailboat". I returned the compliment. He obviously knew quaity boats- Hinckley's and Compac's.
   Bob23

CaptRon28

Bob -

You can almost tell who's going to blast by from a distance. If it looks like the cast of "Jersey Shore" on board (never saw the show though) you better hold on to something. You won't find them on a Hinkley.

Give me a week or two to figure out how far I can go on the bay. The marina's almost at the end of Toms River, about 4 1/2 nautical miles from the bay. Tice's Shoal must be another 6 miles down the bay. On a good day that would probably take well over 3 hours considering the east/west and north/south legs.  I remember doing about 17 knots here 2 years ago on the tri. Won't happen this year. I've gotten the Horizon up to around 5 1/2 so far. Pretty good for a 20 foot cat boat.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

brackish

Great report Bob.  Ah, fresh perked coffee on the water.  I bought an old fashion stove top perk pot for the boat and before an overnight go to the grocery store and course grind Community dark roast.  The Admiral likes it so much I think she is going to throw out the auto drip pot and start using it at home.

Bob23

Ron:
   You must be by the marina where JThatcher keeps his 23. He is actually in Pine Beach or Beachwood, don't remember which. Maybe we can meet up closer to you. It takes me about 4 hours to reach Tice's. Depending on wind direction, I've made it 2 3/4 hrs.
   I can proudly state here and now that I have not seen one episode of Jersey Shore. Nor do I plan to. At it's best, it misrepresents the true Jersey shore. At it's worse, I've seen cleaner stuff in baby's diapers.
Brack:
   Some things are optional. Cold beer and fresh coffee are not. I carry a french press on board my boat but Peter and Becky carry a real live perculator. Either way, it's the real deal.
Bob23

peterg

Truth be told, Bob had a lot of solitude because he had the quarantine flag up and was blasting rap music- this is a man who really cherishes his curmudgeon ranking.

Rumor has it, though, that a lot more Compacters will attend VooTwo'11.............let's get organizing,Bob.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

I work very hard to maintain my top rank curmudgeon rating...ain't easy.
Still plenty of Jose Reserva left. When are you and the Admiral Ann around? I promise to bring some kind of food this time although Frogmore stew is hard to beat! I make a killer Ramen Noodles!
Ron:
   You can easily make Tice's on your Horizon Cat. 10 miles isn't that far...I've rowed farther. See you at the 'Voo Two!
Bob23

Billy

Bob, I have a French press at home, the best way to drink coffee!

I've thought about bringing it on the boat but I'm not sure how to heat the water. Or what to heat it in for that matter.

How do you do it? I have a charcoal grill but that would take an hour to get water to boil.

Bob23

B:
   I use the original equiptment Origo alchohol stove that came with my 23. It can heat enough water for the full french press in about 6 to 8 minutes. I use an old set of backpacker cookware that I keep on the boat.
Bob23

Billy

thanks. I forgot the 23s have the slide out stove.