a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2011 TICE'S SHOALS RONDAYVOO!

Started by Bob23, February 03, 2011, 08:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Well, nothing like a cold winter night to start planning the next RonDayVoo here in the south of NJ. So, with Pussers rum in hand, here I am.
  First, what is a Tice's Shoals Rondayvoo? Well, despite what you may think, I do know how to spell rendezvous but choose instead to exercise my right to poetic license. A TSR is a very, very informal get together of Compacers and non Compacers alike at Tice's Shoals in Barnegat Bay to celebrate the fact that we can. Past dignitaries have included Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffet and Wolfgang Amadeus Motzart. PeterG and Dennis the Morgan 30 guy have attended also. Even I was there. This year, we are trying to get Ke3in to attend who'll be sailing his Seaward 24.  
  Second, when will this monumental convergence be held? Well, shoot folks, it's only February, how should I know? To narrow it down I'll say sometime this summer. Last summer, yours truly mistakenly planned it the same weekend as the "Rock the Bay" gathering in which the organizers try to round up as many yahoos as possible and cram them into a small amount of water. I'll not make that mistake again.
  Third...well, there is no third yet but stay tuned. There are a few New Jersey Compacers here at the site so please feel free to inject your input here.
  Fourth, what do we do? Swim in the ocean, eat, drink,admire each others boats while secretly thinking our is the prettiest,  tell lies disguised as sailing stories and then hopefully watch a beautiful NJ sunset. Like this one:

Be there or be square! Or, like me- both!
Bob23

curtisv

Bob,

Sounds great.  If I can break free from the workaholics long enough (comes with the territory working in anything high tech), then I'll do my best to get there.  Preferably by water though I'm not sure about the last few legs from Long Island or that I can get enough time for that.  I'd want to do the outside route, not the East River, and the places to duck in along the outside of Long Island are few and they are shallow entrances.

At least the way back is down wind.  Though both ways are upwind if using the trailer, the apparent wind that is.

Would anyone be sailing from Sandy Hook area to the Rondayvoo?  Maybe from the Hudson River, perhaps?

Company would be nice but I doubt anyone else is stupid adventurous enough to consider the outside route from Long Island to Sandy Hook.  Maybe.

Looking forward to the details.  Plenty of time to plan.

Curtis

PS - You still buried in snow over there?
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

We got no snow from the last storm which delivered ice to points north and maybe to you. The one before that we only got 4" whereas even northern NJ got 20" Our snow is just about melted so that means I can't find an excuse to procrastinate on Koinonia's winter list any longer.
   The trip from Barnegat Light to Block Island is a dream voyage of mine. Meaning I realize fully well that it may remain a dream.
   The details of this raid will be forthcoming. Summer's a long way off.
   Right now, I'd like to have the problem of too much work. Although the crew and I are not sitting home twiddling our thumbs watching Oprah. Yet. A good friend of mine hasn't worked in 2 months. I'd be broke and depressed. I am blessed to have a good customer base.
Bob23

curtisv

No snow here.  I'm in sunny California for a while.  Went hiking on Sunday and it was 70 degrees.  My wife is home but the Cape hasn't had much, but enough to be bothersome.

How come I'm the only one to respond so far to the rondayvoo notice?  Northeast sailors hibernating?

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

I dunno where all the NJ Compac-ers are hiding. Ron28 is probably still down in sunny, funny FLA. Last year, or was it the year before, Sherie was toying with sailing down from the Sandy Hook area. She keeps Blonde Ambition up in Atlantic Highlands. Do I hear a convoy?
As the details unfold about the mega-event, they'll be posted here at the site.
Bob23

rip

Hmmmmm, possibility! I expect to be at Clearwater festival(www.clearwater.org) Croton Point with boat daddy's day weekend. Maybe Sandy hook would work for some of us as a rondayvoodoo to form a fleet the rest of the way.

Bob23

Rip:
   That would be cool. Sherie aka "Blonde Ambition" is in Atlantic Highlands...sounds like a plan!
Bob23

Mundaysj

Sounds like fun... all depends on the timing.
Sherie

Tom V

Would like to attend bad timing last few years. Short sail from Manahawkin.

Bob23

Tom V:
  Where in 'Hawkin are you? I'm in Ocean Acres but my boat resides in Surf City at the end of North 2nd Street in the summer.
   I guess in the next month or so, we'll nail down some dates. Any preferences? Gee, if a lot of people show up, I may actually have to plan some activities besides eating, drinking, swimming and telling sailing lies . Not that there's anything wrong with those.  We usually try to anchor more to the south away from the densest gathering of yahoos!
Bob23
(ps: I've made it to Tice's in as little as 2 3/4 hours)

CaptRon28

Bob -

I'll try to make this years event. Medical problems made last year difficult. I'll be trailer sailing the Horizon off of my driveway (Freehold, NJ) this year. Exact location of event is not that important, as long as there are decent ramps in the area. I'll be heading up to NJ in about a month or so. Come down to Punta Gorda (Florida) earlier next year - that could get you a 17 knot ride on a trimaran in Charlotte Harbor.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Bob23

Ron:
   I guess the municipal ramp in Barnegat is the closest public one but I'm not all that familiar with boat ramps. I'm sure there are a few in the area that will accomodate you.
   We wanted to be in Punta Gorda much earlier than 4/18 but cimcumstances beyond our control prevented us. I'd love to sail on your tri sometime.
   The 'Voo will shape up in the coming weeks and/or months.
Bob23

Tom V

Bob V
I am located in Beach Haven West area.

Bob23

Gee whiz,man- we're neighbors! We gotta get out for a sail together sometime!
Bob23

Bob23

Ok, ladies and gents:
   I'm sitting here in the waning days of winter, pizza and chianti in my gullet and thinking about sailing. Spring is only a few days away so naturally my thoughts turn toward the  2011 Tice's Shoals 'Voo. I'm thinking the end of June or beginning of July- not 4th of July. Since we are planning so far ahead, anyone have any preferences? It seems like there are quite a few Compac-ers here in NJ that might be in attendance.
   Stay tuned for more info as we draw nearer to this major event!
Bob23