Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SELF STEERING VANE FOR 23'S.

Started by Bob23, January 31, 2011, 07:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Curtis said:

I remember once sailing alongside a much larger vessel not quite down wind and not quite down waves and hearing the autopilot on that boat straining.  I was hand steering and surfing down the waves and keeping up with a much larger boat because I was taking advantage of the waves and the autopilot on the other boat was trying to fight them to keep a constant heading.  The waves were only about 4 feet.  I can imagine that for waves a lot larger the autopilot is straining quite a bit.  Anyway that was probably an older unit.

Good point.  I think with any kind of following sea a good helmsman is essential to maintain an "appropriate" course because the helmsman can anticipate the lift, pitch and drop of the sea and an autopilot cannot.  A good helmsman in those conditions can make a passage efficient and comfortable with that anticipation.  The autopilot is reactive, at least mine is and I'm not sure there is anyway to make it anticipate.  Additionally, on a reach with gusty winds, that same anticipation by reading the wind changes on the water ahead helps to maintain control and comfort.

Shawn

Curtis,

"Maybe the tiny elves that live inside the control unit are now smart enough to figure out the cycle of the wave and do less work. "

Those little elves are supposed to gradually learn repetitive motions of the boat. I think they call it automatic seastate or something like that. I have never tried turning it off so I don't know how effective it is.

There is also a rudder damping adjustment that can reduce un-needed motions of the tiller. Haven't tried that either.

Shawn

Shawn

"Additionally, on a reach with gusty winds, that same anticipation by reading the wind changes on the water ahead helps to maintain control and comfort."

Agreed, that is where it would be nice to have the autopilot linked to a wind vane.

Shawn

Shawn

"However, for whatever reason the Tohatsu drives the autopilot nuts. It resets constantly when the Tohatsu is running... even if the Tohatsu isn't electrically connected to the boat. I am going to try some noise filters on the electrical connections to the autopilot to see if that helps any."

Just updating this... I tried putting shielding on the Tohatsu and added capacitance to the tiller pilot. Was still resetting.

Stomping away in frustration the tiller pilot reset.....

Banging near the tillerpilot connection and it reset. Turns out the ground wire was ever so slightly loose. The vibration from the engine were causing bad connections and the constant resets. When sailing everything is so smooth it ran fine. Tightened up that connection and ran the Tohatsu with the autopilot for about 10 minutes without a problem. Previously it was resetting every couple of seconds.

Shawn

brackish

Quote from: Shawn on June 25, 2011, 05:12:14 PM
"However, for whatever reason the Tohatsu drives the autopilot nuts. It resets constantly when the Tohatsu is running... even if the Tohatsu isn't electrically connected to the boat. I am going to try some noise filters on the electrical connections to the autopilot to see if that helps any."

Just updating this... I tried putting shielding on the Tohatsu and added capacitance to the tiller pilot. Was still resetting.

Stomping away in frustration the tiller pilot reset.....

Banging near the tillerpilot connection and it reset. Turns out the ground wire was ever so slightly loose. The vibration from the engine were causing bad connections and the constant resets. When sailing everything is so smooth it ran fine. Tightened up that connection and ran the Tohatsu with the autopilot for about 10 minutes without a problem. Previously it was resetting every couple of seconds.

Shawn

Thanks for the update.  That motor is on my near future list, but had a nagging concern because of your experience. 

This is the summer the skiff gets finished, 104 lb. 9.9 and 25 lb. start battery go to the skiff, 59 lb. Tohatsu goes to the 23 whose trim gets measureably better and my back is forever grateful for not having to lift that 9.9 on and off that mount.

newt

Sorry it took so long to see this thread. I think the 23 is the best sheet to tiller boat I have ever sailed solo. I am so comfortable with it now that I never bring anyone along unless I am dropping them off or just want the company. My system does take up cockpit space, but I am usually downstairs eating or napping anyway. If set up properly it is more sensitive than a windvane yet will sail true in almost all points of sail. Big claims to be sure, yet I have found them to be true.