a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Home Made Foil vs Ida blade vs Ida system

Started by brianh, January 30, 2011, 06:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

curlylarge

hello all i have studied this in detail and made my own foil following some pics with the naca14 foil i wasn't going to entertain the idea of the Ida rudder as I'm the UK and shipping was not cheap, but i have found big difference a small mod which i did was to put a 10inch length of 3/8 hard plastic tube around the up-haul so i could push the rudder into postion not so much bending over the transom pictures to follow

skip1930

curlylarge.

I sail with the Idea sailor foiled rudder on my CP-19. I really like it. I never like the kick-up rudder idea that has become standard on Com-Pac Yachts. It's just me but I drilled clean through the rudder casting and through the aluminum plate of the rudder blade and hold the whole darn thing down with a shear bolt from a snowblower. An Ace Hardware item. That way I don't have to mess with the seaweed kicking up my rudder. The keel usually touches bottom prior to the blade. I don't need to worry about my blade not being down far enough. And the fact that a fully down blade hangs forward and in front of the transom adds to that fell of power steering at the tiller. A bit of a balance blade.  

On land the foil weighs more then the factory rudder, but in water is weighs about 7 lb less, if I remember correctly.

skip.