a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

In Florida raedy to sail...I think...:)

Started by robo, January 16, 2011, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robo

After a1700 mile trailer pull thru the Christmas blizzard ..am now trailered near Indian Rocks Beach.. and waiting for a little heat for the inagural sail... thought i would share the photos of my labor of love to give my 1979 16 a new lease on life.....Happy sailing in 2011 to all....http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/browback/

Wiggs

Welcome to Florida. I am a little bit further south in Punta Gorda, but weather should be similar. Enjoy the beautiful weather and sail to your hearts content. How long will you be in Florida?

Wiggs

RCAN

Robo,

Beautiful job! She looks great! I got a 1976 Com Pac 16 last April and you serve as an inspiration to me. I might hit you up for some tips as I progress fixing mine up.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, but sail mainly in Miami's Biscayne Bay.

Enjoy to the max.

Robert

Glenn Basore

Robo,

Nicely done........................

Glenn

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

RCAN

Robo,

I really like the rope work you did around the railing to hold the anchor. Can you tell me if you designed this yourself? I would like to try something like that for my anchor. Was there a source you used that instructed you how to do this? A book or a website perhaps?

Robert

Bob23

Robo:
   Great job...and I'm sure the first mate will cheer up once you are underway.
   I can identify about the blizzard drive. The morning of the storm, our daughter left for Punta Gorda. I thought she was the only one crazy enough to drive through a blizzard but, alas, there is one more!
   Enjoy the boat and warmer weather. We still have snow on the ground up here in NJ. Hence, my 23 looks like this:

Bob23

robo

Quote from: RCAN on January 16, 2011, 09:57:21 PM
Robo,

I really like the rope work you did around the railing to hold the anchor. Can you tell me if you designed this yourself? I would like to try something like that for my anchor. Was there a source you used that instructed you how to do this? A book or a website perhaps?

Robert

I had many sources for the upgrades, the bow pulpit rope hanger, the bimini top and the carpeted floor board came from Robert Burgess book.. "Handbook of trailer sailing."  Available from the Hutchinson store   (http://www.com-pacyachts.com/store/
Well worth the money.  It really is quite simple just need to get the thimbles in the right spot to slip over your anchor stocks.

robo

Quote from: RCAN on January 16, 2011, 01:42:25 PM
Robo,

Beautiful job! She looks great! I got a 1976 Com Pac 16 last April and you serve as an inspiration to me. I might hit you up for some tips as I progress fixing mine up.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, but sail mainly in Miami's Biscayne Bay.

Enjoy to the max.

Robert

Thanks Robert---- There is a long list of work items on this boat and some improvements to some items, that i would gladly share with you as your ambition allows.... I already have larger Com-Pac envy... unfair to my efforts and this fun boat...

Brian

robo

Quote from: Wiggs on January 16, 2011, 12:37:19 PM
Welcome to Florida. I am a little bit further south in Punta Gorda, but weather should be similar. Enjoy the beautiful weather and sail to your hearts content. How long will you be in Florida?

Wiggs

We are here to the middle of April....any day sails you would recomend down your way?????

HideAway

So you re the one who brought all this rain eh?   HideAway is in Gulfport on Boca Ciega Bay while we live near Lake Seminole.  If you want to do a check out sail Lake Seminole is not a bad place to do that during the week.  I think it costs $7.00 to launch.  A better choice for better weather is Gulfport because at that point Boca Ciega Bay is more like a lake with Gulf access.  It only costs $5 to launch there.  As you motor down Guflport channel you will see Boca Ciega Yacht club to starboard - can't miss it.   We will be there Saturday from 8-3.  This is a club weekend work day so there will be a lot of activity.  If you want to stop by just tie up to the little dock by the hoist or come into the basin to one of the tee docks and ask for me.

Otherwise Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs gives you good access to Three Rooker Bar and Anclote Key.   There is a real nice marina on Caladesi Island State park that allows over night stays.  Just off the Dunedin Causeway.   I d tell you to launch at the Dunedin City ramp but to me anyway, its scary.  If you take ALT 19 up to Tarpon you will drive right by it.  You will also go by the Seminole docks in Clearwater.  Seminole ramp is a good place to launch but watch out for wakes from the larger power boats and you are near crack city.  There is a race Sunday morning in Clearwater - running - that will close both bridges for awhile.  By the way it is rare to get rain this time of year, especially one lasting all day!    Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

kickingbug1

and here i sit in illinois awaiting an ice storm
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Billy

Robo
This sat the west coast trailer sailer squadron is sailing on lake tarpon. I'll be ther on my 19. We are meeting at andrson park in palm harbor (about 30 minutes north) at 9:30 and sailing to a the tarpon turtle for lunch and then a few hours after that there should be a few cp16s there as well. You're welcome to join us.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

robo

Quote from: Billy on January 17, 2011, 01:19:09 PM
Robo
This sat the west coast trailer sailer squadron is sailing on lake tarpon. I'll be ther on my 19. We are meeting at andrson park in palm harbor (about 30 minutes north) at 9:30 and sailing to a the tarpon turtle for lunch and then a few hours after that there should be a few cp16s there as well. You're welcome to jo

Thanks Billy...Appreciate the info and offer..we are entertaining some quests from up north this weekend..so maybe some other time...Thanks Again...Brian

RCAN

Robo,

Thanks for the info on the Burgess book. I will be getting it.

As my time with this old boat progresses (1976 model) I will be wanting to "pretty her up" as my time allows. I may haunt you with some advice in the future. Thanks for the offer.

Robert