Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Projects?

Started by Glenn Basore, January 12, 2011, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hello all,

Our Eclipse owners seem to be very quiet of late so I thought I would ask if any of you have projects for your Eclipse or any special sailing vacations planned for this year ?

The first thing I need to do is to get my Mercury 4hp tuned up as it stopped running the last time I had the boat out.

Also, just as soon as the weathers back up into the 70 degree range here in Southern Calif. I want to sand and refinish all the teak followed by a good boat wash an wax.

The Wheel bearings on the trailer will need to be inspected and repacked, I would like to covert all the lights on the trailer to LED lights as well, see how much of this I will get done before spring.

I would like to trailer my boat to San Diego and stay a week sailing about the harbor. I'm not sure of any places (reasonable rates) I can put in at and have a hotel room near by,  some research for that is needed.

Glenn

Napier6

One long overdue project on Skylark was new bottom paint in September.  September is supposed to be cool but it was 85 to 90F, add this to the fact that I was wearing a Tyvek suit and you can see why I waited so long.  I needed to get to the keel but couldn't figure out how to do in without expense and safety, so I paid the yard because it's cheaper than the hospital.  Last week we had a Catalina fall off it's trailer here.  Also, I thought I might have to do some glasswork on the keel from a rock.  I was lucky- just a scratch.  Here are two pictures a before and after.   I think you'll find the angle interesting. Not one we often see.  It's usually in the water or on the trailer.
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

Napier6

I seem to have maxed out the last block...Another project completed was something "Brackish" mentioned a while back. It is adding some ballast  I have a Tohatsu 4-stoke 9.8 on the back.  Yes its 85lbs. but that's what I have.  I do like the motor it's just that with me in the back the Eclipse is a bit stern heavy.  So I was wondering how to move weight around last year and I thought of sand bags in the fore compartment.  I guess if I ever buy a spinnaker that's where it might go? Any way Lowe's had sandbags for several bucks ($3.99?), but let me have some with holes for a $1.00 each.  I loaded them up and like the results. Skylark seems stiffer and I like the ride.  If I ever change my mind the sand can come out.

Napier6

Third and last recent project was replacing the fairleads.  They sawed right through, though to their credit they did last five years.  I decided to replace with SS from Suncor and some softer rope.

kickingbug1

hey fellas, a bit off topic but i have a question. does the eclipse have three point standing rigging like a 16. no backstay and just two sidestays? we were thinking that if we step up from our 16 (one of these years ) an eclipse might be in our future. im thinking steping the mast looks a hell of a lot easier than a 19. those buggers sure are pretty (thats how my wife puts it).
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Napier6

Right, no backstay.  I'm used to not having one now.  Don't know what I'd do with it.

blocknshackle

Napier6,

I have been thinking too about getting some more weight forward in my Eclipse.  When it warms up a bit I'm going to see if removing the battery and battery box from the port cockpit locker and putting it in the forward storage compartment would work.  Of course I'd have to do some re-wiring back to the panel, but that seems like it would be minor work.  I wouldn't do this with a lead acid battery, but I have a new AGM, so I don't have to worry about any off-gassing.  It would be a bit awkward getting the battery in/out of the compartment, but w/ my solar charging system keeping it topped off, I shouldn't have to do that much.  Also, I would lose storage space, but I didn't really use the forward storage compartment last year anyway.  Anyone see any potential problems w/ this plan?

Mike

wes

Kickingbug - have you checked out the thread on The Sailboat Company's web site (http://www.ipass.net/sailboat, click on "Answers" on the left column) regarding converting a CP 19 to three point rigging by removing the backstay and shifting the shroud chainplates aftward? Very interesting; this guys says he's done many such conversions with good success and feels the 19 was basically built with a copy of the 23's rigging and is therefore "over-rigged" for its size. An interesting perspective; worth reading even if you don't agree. I am not bold enough to tackle such a project myself.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

crazycarl

Quote from: Wes on February 02, 2011, 03:27:51 PM
Kickingbug - have you checked out the thread on The Sailboat Company's web site (http://www.ipass.net/sailboat, click on "Answers" on the left column) regarding converting a CP 19 to three point rigging by removing the backstay and shifting the shroud chainplates aftward? Very interesting; this guys says he's done many such conversions with good success and feels the 19 was basically built with a copy of the 23's rigging and is therefore "over-rigged" for its size. An interesting perspective; worth reading even if you don't agree. I am not bold enough to tackle such a project myself.

i talked to rich hutchins at the strictly sail show in chicago about doing this.  he didn't recommend it.   remember,  these boats are designed by naval architects that investigate every detail before putting their signature on a plan.
i personally like the backstay, if only because it gives me something to grip when i'm stepping over the sternrail while re boarding.

of course, rich may have been leery of giving his of agreeing on the advice of counsel ;)
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

wes , yeah i did see that and i think it would be doable. the price of an eclipse even if i could find a use one would probably be too high. i would not be afraid to tackle that project. it seems to me the guy said that com-pac added the spreader just for looks. like all compacs the 19 is pretty much undersailed anyway. that might be in my future but not for a while.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

An idea that popped in my head today while digging through the craw space for stuff, but finding screen material was build a folding or two piece (for easy storage) wood-framed screen insert for the companionway door.  Seems like it would a lot better fitting and way easier for in/out than the velcro stick-it-up screens.

Everyone has some wood and screen lying around the house so why not.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Napier6

Blocknshackle.  I think that use of the forward compartment is fine as long as you don't plan to stick a spinnaker in it.  I havent finished reading the "12v Bible" yet so I can't move my batteries: ) I have had water run down the mast and fill the compartment 2 inches.  I have filled the slide with silicone and silicone at the mast/deck intersection (partners) and I seem to have a handle on it.  But, if you do run the batteries up there build a platform to keep the set up dry.  A project I have been thinking about is a mast boot.  The problem is the short span beteen the deck and the eye strap for the vang. Any one out there have a mast boot / tape on an Eclipse?    

Glenn Basore

Good pictures of the b4 and after painting. I cant make out the color, is it a black or dark blue?

Also, your comments of adding ballast in the way of sand bags, can you tell the difference in the boat handling?

I was actually thinking of leaving my battery out of my boat as I only sail for a few hours at a time and It is only there for the lights.

One more thing, the line for your center board, how hard is it do replace and where does it tie off at on the center board.

I looked while it was on the trailer but cant see it. I keep thinking that salt water must be pretty hard on it and it should be inspect if not replaced.

Any one replaced you main halyard line yet ? what size dia and length?

I for got, are you sailing loose footed ?

Glenn

Napier6

Thanks Glen, The color is Black.  Also, I do think the boat is stiffer and will probably add one more sand bag.  I think the battery is not an absolute necessity, but I do have a Bidata speed/depth sounder and late one afternoon I got caught out in a thunderstorm which was so dark everybody on the lake switched on their running lights as we all dashed back in.  I was worried about the centerboard line.  I got some new line from WM and after a couple of tries, no big deal.  I am very glad I did because the line was frayed about halfway through.   Also, put some Locktite on the nut down below.  Might not be waterproof but I tried!  Here’s a photo of the slot, and the fastening to tie it off to.  I have not replaced the main halyard yet, but am looking at new jib sheets in the future.  I'd be interested if you make a purchase.  As for loose footed, I remembered two weeks ago that I wanted to try.  But the lake had about 18-25mph winds, so I just stayed out and enjoyed the ride.  I do plan on giving it a try though.

Glenn Basore

Good pictures of the center board line and how it connects. It appears that one must raise the boat high enough to lower the center board. not sure I would do that as she sits on her trailer.

I'm not sure when I will get around to the main halyard line. I think I read some where that some one replaced theirs and went to a larger diameter line.

I have a problem with the boom striking its cradle as the boom moves from tack to port. I pull as hard as I can and I think the sail is at the top of the mast but the boom still hits. may be my sail has stretched?..........I have not sailed her that many times to think my sail would stretch that much and the sails still have the nice crispness to them.

Glenn