a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

clr boats

Started by kickingbug1, December 29, 2010, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

a question has been put to me that i think ill share. should the upcoming august clr be limited to com-pac boats alone? im of the mind that a sailor is a sailor is a sailor and that make of boat isnt important. im sure people on the site have friends with boats non com-pac. i would have to say the more sailors the merrier. and to bob 23, with the number of 19s and single handed 16s i think he can hop a ride if he chooses to attend. im sure john j would welcome him.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Kick:
   Interesting point. While I love my Compac, I have to admit that there are Hunter, Catalina, Precision, etc. sailboat owners who love thier boats just as much. Why, is a mystery to me. I guess it's our misson to try and redeem these lost souls!  (Insert chuckle here.)
   Thanks for the offer to stow-away on someone else's ship. For me, it's a lot of work to haul out, ready for the road, and trailer all the way out there. Maybe I'll bring the Force 5 or Alden Ocean Shell.  Dejavu...I feel like I've written these words before.
   I'd say anyone is invited but I have not been to a CLR before so my vote doesn't carry all that much.
Bob23

rsahlender

Kickingbug1:
As much as I would like to it seems unlikely that I will be able to attend this event in 2011. I would however have no objection to non Com-Pac boats being there if I could attend. I'm with you on the sailor is a sailor and the make of the boat does not matter.

Bob23:
If my situation should change and I am able to attend I will let you know. I am only 90 miles or so west of you and would welcome the company and any help hauling and launching my 16.

Rich

kickingbug1

rich and bob i sure hope you guys decide to attend. you wont be sorry if you do. as to the boat question-----anyone here who has a friend with a different boat, feel free to invite them. i will have to obtain a pretty accurate headcount for the dinner reservations. and rich and bob ---think "road trip"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Greene

I would think that adding other manufacturer's boats would make the event even more enjoyable.   Of course we would require a signed gag order regarding any race results.  I found out first hand how much faster my friend's Hunter 22 is than my CP19.  Hmmmm, maybe I could sneak John J. aboard our boat and then race my buddy again. 

One vote for any and all trailer sailors.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

DOUG142

I second or third that.  Open to all sailors and sailboats.  The more the better.  There are alot of sailboats at Carlyle Lake, maybe some of them will join us.
Skip, Bob23, all hope you can make it this year.  Would be great meeting you guys.

Doug142
s/v Sweet Dreams, CP-19
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Salty19

Mike,

Funny you say that.  There is a Hunter 24 in my marina that cant' keep up with Island Time. Just a tad slower, even upwind.  But I don't know what type of skills the captain has or if it's setup well.  Probably poor in both areas.  Not that the same isn't true for Island Time.  Well, at least the captain anyway!

Now the question is just how many posts kicknbug can start on the CLR this year.  At this pace, I'll put my money on 60.  j/k kick. Appreciate getting it together.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greene

Mike,

The Hunter 22 has 2 feet of extra waterline and 80 feet more sail area than the 19.  When we go side by side on a beam reach we feel like we are standing still compared to the 22.  Funny how one lousy mile per hour can seem like so much more when you are on a sailboat. 

Mike and B

brackish

Quote from: kickingbug1 on December 29, 2010, 03:23:12 PM
   a question has been put to me that i think ill share. should the upcoming august clr be limited to com-pac boats alone? im of the mind that a sailor is a sailor is a sailor and that make of boat isnt important. im sure people on the site have friends with boats non com-pac. i would have to say the more sailors the merrier. and to bob 23, with the number of 19s and single handed 16s i think he can hop a ride if he chooses to attend. im sure john j would welcome him.

I did the B.E.E.R. cruise early last summer which is open to all boats and it was kind of nice to see what boats showed up.  The night before we left the marina was kind of like "open boat" night where folks just wandered up and down the dock looking at all the boats.  My 23, one of only two ComPacs got much praise, think I've converted several of the Mac folks.  The other Compac was a Horizon Cat.  We had over fifty boats on that four day cruise.

More than likely I will not be able to attend CLR, but would suggest that it might be even better if it were open to all trailer sailors. 

Salty19

Mike...Yep, the H22's and 24's should be a lot quicker.   Like I said I bet the boat in my area is just setup poorly or the captn knows not what he's doing.

But I gues I didn't buy the compac to go fast but rather cruise the lake ins comfort, safety and style. :)

Brack-- So lessee.. 50 boats, 4 days, many crew.  That's a lot of beer!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

i am NOT buying the beer---oh yeah mike g. the brandy slush was a big hit at christmas    thanks again for that   happy new year

Greene

Well don't let Mike and Becky (Salty19) buy the beer.  They drink the kind with limes and lemons and all other kinds of tooty-fruity junk in it.

Mike

Bob23

SAY IT AIN'T SO!! Limes and lemons? Well, I like my Guiness but I don't mind a Tequiza now and then with a lime. But if the truth be known, Pabst in a can is my old standby. If I make it out, I'll bring a case, not that I'm a large-quantity beer drinker.
Bob23

kickingbug1

i also am not a large quantity deer brinker

John J

Hey Guys.  The Carlyle Lake Rendezvous should be for every trailerable sailboat owner.  And since "variety is the spice of life", it will be interesting to check out different boats and make new friends.  I don't think it will change the rendezvous much.  It will be great to see all the Compac  sailors again.  John J.