News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gelcoat from Hutchins ; what hardner do I use with it ?

Started by hockeyfool, September 28, 2010, 11:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I ordered some  gelcoat for surface deck repairs of cracks and they seemed to not have hardener for
the product they sell.
So - anyone have an idea what is best to use with  their gelcoat ?
West systems has 3 different products , but I'm not sure which would be a good mate .

Billy

please let me know what you find out.

My gelcoat is shot and I have several spider cracks I would like to fix too. I just really don't have a clue as to what i am doing.

What did Gerry say?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

ontarioSuncat

MEK is the hardner to use, Cover the Gelcoat repair with saran wrap to keep air out. I think Gerry send out waxed gelcote but you can cover it too. Use no more than 10 drops per golf ball size of gelcote!!! I tape around the area with painters tape. Sand the area with 120, Fill the patch to the level of the tape and then tape saran wrap over that. Wait a day! then remove the tape. ( it will look ugly!) Sand with paper wrapped around a small block. Use a few strokes of each grade. start with 80 then 120, 250, 400, 600, 1000, 2000, then polish it out. Don't skip a grade. Gelcote is very soft and easy to sand. If the color is a match the patch will disapear.

BamaSail

Why did you go to Hutchins for the gelcoat?  Is the color more likely to match?  I need to do this myself too and keep reading that it's a pain to match colors - particularly with older boats.  Is West System gelcoat a good product?

David

BamaSail,  If you are around a large city, some of the marine parts stores that sell gelcoat will match it for you.  Take a fiberglass part off boat, or go to local paint store and get a paint chip card that matches best.  There is a place in Fl. that will match gelcoat for you for $20.  Do not have name handy right now, but will get it from you.  They are easy to talk to on the phone.

David

David

BamaSail,  This is the site I was talking about.  I cannot recommend it, as I have not used any of their products. Have called them though and talked with them.  Seem to be nice people , but who knows.  Maybe someone on the post has dealt with this company and can reccommend whether to go with them or not.  See "match gelcoat" link.  They told me $25 on top of cost of gelcoat if I remember right.

http://www.fiberglassservices.com/

David

BamaSail

Thanks David.  As my moniker indicates, I currently live in Alabama... Northern Alabama (Huntsville).  The large cities nearby are Atlanta, Nashville and perhaps Birmingham.  Haven't tried any local stores here, but I've had little luck finding a good local supplier of sailing gear, let alone fiberglass.  However, there area a lot of bass boats around here, so I might get lucky.

I'll try your link.  From what I can tell so far, it looks like fiberglass Mecca.

Thanks again!