Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast step stress cracks

Started by seatime, September 22, 2010, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seatime

Young and Brave Lads

Can any of you tell me how to repair stress cracks around the step...I have thought that maybe wood backing plates above and below the step that are bedded in resin would do it.

Tight sheets, hard sails and pretty mama's to ya...

Seatime

newt

Welcome Seatime, could you put some pictures or maybe a more detailed discription up?

don l

Welcome, to a site of much infor...  happy sailing

Billy

I was told that you need to drill out the cracks with a dremel or similar, and then use a filler. Then you could reglass over the step.

I had some cracks and took my boat to Com-Pac (I live in Clearwater) and had them do the repairs. You can't tell at all! It looks great. And it wasn't too expensive either, less than $100 I think.

More importantly though you need to figure out the cause of the stress cracks. Because the stresses will still be there.

1. could be a rotten wood core. This is the only place there is wood in the fiberglass. and it is a common thing for the core under the mast step to rot. Also, sometimes the compression post needs to be reset. Not sure about this, but the factory did this and raised the mast almost a whole inch. My Rigging fit much better after this. People have a tendency to over tighten the rigging which pulls the mast down through the step. When sailing the leeward side should have a little slack.

2. When taking down the mast, be careful not to let the base of the mast "fall up". the bolt that goes through the tabernacle can pull up and that could be creating the cracks. Also, the 16s don't have the stern pulpit, which lets the top of the mast go down past the step, pulling the tabernacle up and out of the step. If you don't have a mast crutch I would suggest getting one. And never trailer the boat w/ the mast connected to the tabernacle.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Agree with newt, pics would be nice.

Most of these boats have gelcoat stress cracks which are zero cause for concern.   When the fiberglass underneath itself is cracked, or if the wood inside the mast step is rotten,  that's where you need to act.

If the boat does not leak water at the mast step (evidenced by water damage on pole in cabin), chances are good you don't need to do anything.
Also look to see if the bolts holding the pole up are bent sideways in any way.  If they are, that indicates the pole has shifted (down) and perhaps has a rotton core at the mast step.

Billy, I don't see any harm in trailering the boat with the mast disconnected from the tabernacle--provided it's supported by crutches.  I used two..one by the rudder and one that slid into the tabernacle and bolted on with the original mast bolt.   I've towed mine in this manner quite a bit--in one case 800 miles with not a sign of the mast budging.  I'm pretty sure hundreds of others have done the same over the years. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Salty,
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't see any harm in trailering the boat with the mast disconnected from the tabernacle either. When It is connected the mast hangs off the back of the boat 7 or 8 feet. The mast should be DISCONNECTED and slid forward. And the mast head should be supported by a crutch at the stern. If the mast is connected to the tabernacle at the mast step AND supported by a crutch, I think it would be ok ONLY if the base of the mast is much lower than the mast head. But you still have the mast hanging several feet off the back of the boat. Also you can only support the lower half of the mast (at the rudder) because the rest of the mast (top half) is hanging off the back. As you go down the road the mast will flex and bounce and the half hanging off the stern (beyond the crutch at the rudder) will act a a teeter totter and "pivot" at the crutch and pull the tabernacle out of the step.

here is a sketch to show you what I mean.

Salty19

Billy-

No you were clear...after I reread your post.  Must have had a senior moment which is sad since I'm far from that stage of life :)

Sorry about the confusion on my part.  I agree with your method as the safest and most practical one.

newt

Good illustrations Billy, I learned something today! How can I I get upset with you going off topic after a post like that one??
Grog to ya!

seatime

Thanks to all...

I think the cracks are minimal and not into the core...she aint soft...I still think the "backing plate" idea will work and actually beef it up a bit. The rigging was not overtightened that I can tell...and the compression post is sweetly in place. I think it was done by grabbing the crutch (attached to the step)to prevent a fall (I did it once myself and that us what caused me to notice the old damage). There is also a crutch aft. I may go over to the boatyard tomorrow and take some pics for you all.

Has anyone rigged a handheld VHF to a masthead antenna...the question is...would the battery be sucked dry the minute a soul hit the talk button?

Have an excitin evenin...and thanks again CAPN'S...

Salty19

Not to continue off topic too long, but here's a pic of my old 16's mast ready for travel. Note the boom inline with mast.

seatime-good to hear you don't think it's soft.  Yep, some others put a backing plate in as you mentioned through bolted.  Just some food for thought if you're thinking about a boomkicker or boomvang, some also put a plate topside with angles aft/sides with holes drilled for attaching these or blocks for aft led halyards, aft led anchor rode, etc.

seatime

Hey Troopers...what about the handheld  masthead antenna question...have any of you tried it?

Seatime

Billy

I have a handheld that I pretty much only use to ask for the tender to open the draw bridge. Never really go that far out. I thought about getting a fixed VHF w/ an antenna on my mast, but wasn't really logical for the sailing that I do. W/ trailering it and all. I was also concerned about drilling a hole in the deck.

If the handheld has a place to plug in the antenna to I guess it would work.
Do you already have an antenna in your mast? You might be able to just unscrew the antenna off the handheld and screw in the mast antenna.

I don't think the battery would really be that effected. Unless you're my wife talking to her mother.....

seatime

Thanks Billy...it is the cable that may suck up the charge when you transmit.

I may buy a racing type antenna (West Marine) and see how it works. I aint too worried about a hole or two in the mast. The cleats are attached with a fairly large self tapper. I've never had problems with thru hull fittngs I've installed on the larger boats I've owned.

Have a good'un

seatime

Quote from: Billy on September 23, 2010, 07:51:15 PM
I have a handheld that I pretty much only use to ask for the tender to open the draw bridge. Never really go that far out. I thought about getting a fixed VHF w/ an antenna on my mast, but wasn't really logical for the sailing that I do. W/ trailering it and all. I was also concerned about drilling a hole in the deck.

If the handheld has a place to plug in the antenna to I guess it would work.
Do you already have an antenna in your mast? You might be able to just unscrew the antenna off the handheld and screw in the mast antenna.

I don't think the battery would really be that effected. Unless you're my wife talking to her mother.....