a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Galley thoughts

Started by brackish, September 15, 2010, 04:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I'm not knocked out by the CP-23 slide out galley units.  The space under it is fairly useless for storage, particularly on the sink side.  I also don't like having to pull out an ice chest from under the companionway steps to get something out, particularly when doing some real meal prep.  The ice chest either has to go back each time or the companionway is blocked.  I also didn't care for the modification posted here some time ago that used up the entire V-berth area for a galley.  So I've been thinking about this:

From a Cape Dory 22.  If the dead space aft of the 23 berth cushions could make up the difference and still have a full berth I think this would be better.  I like the swing up tables, both for eating, as a temporary place for the single burner stove and also for a chart table.

So the design is added to the winter project list for 2010/11 with possible installation as a winter project for 2011/12.

Hey it keeps me out of the saloons. :)

Bob23

Very nice but I doubt it really keeps you out of the saloons! I've also been not happy with the misuse of space in my 23 but lacked the motivation to change it...till now.
   I plan to install my Portapotti forward of the bulkhead, starboard side. It'll be semi-enclosed. We'll see...many times I have good intentions but the project never materializes.
Bob23
(ps: I'll email you a photo of my chart table as soon as I take one!)

brackish

Bob23 commented that:

We'll see...many times I have good intentions but the project never materializes.

That's cause you're still trying to make a living.  Retiree's like me have no excuse.:)

In fact, it is practice.  My intention upon being left with retirement as my only reasonable option, was to move 300 miles to the Coast and open a business that specialized in marine joinery and do custom only cabinetry when that was slow.  However, a number of setbacks, starting with Katrina have delayed that initiative.   

I have a friend going back to high school who has done marine joinery for forty years and made a good living at it.  It seems, since you are dealing with nothing that is true, straight, plumb or square, no one wants to do it so he charges a premium.  His primary business was stripping off the working gear from cypress hull shrimp trawlers and putting cabins on them, converting them to luggers, and finishing out the interiors.

Just recently we have once again started looking at property to build a home/shop on down there so I can get my machinery that is scattered, it seems, all over the southeast into a working shop.  Maybe this time.......

rwdsr

We wish you luck on your new venture Brack, as long as it doesn't get so busy that it interferes with your sailing.
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

NateD

Another option would be sacrificing a quarter berth and putting the sink and stove on the same side of the boat like this one:

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1940934636.html

It looks factory, but its the only one I've ever seen.

Bob23

That looks interesting but the picture seems to make it look more spacious than it probably reall is. Remember, there is sitting headroom down thar.
   I've opted to remove my sink completely. Building and relocating an ice box is a good idea but I like the factory location  of the stove. I'm gonna build a longer platform for it so it slides out further into the cabin.
   BtW, wheel steering on a 23? Sorry, but that steals so much cockpit room...out of the question, in my humble opinion!
Bob23

newt

I like the galley! It set my mind to possibilities. What if you divided one of the quarter berths into a marine head, then had a galley and a refrig toward the aft end, then finished it out with storage underneath the cockpit? Wheel steering- nahh. But the rest of it looks intriguing.

Tim Gardner

There is stand up room at the companionway hatch like on my 19.  A galley on the port side makes more sense though - gives you (generally) the right of way when you are on a port tack; there are fewer sudden changes in the attitude of the galley while under way.

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

bmiller

Or you could buy a 27 and be done with it!

zimco

GALLEY MOD - CP 23

MY MODIFICATION OF THE GALLEY WAS TO COMBINE THE STOVE AND SINK INTO ONE SLIDE OUT THAT WAS A LITTLE MORE STABLE. 

I USED HALF INCH CABINET LINER FOR THE COUNTER TOP.  CABINET LINER HAS FORMICA ON BOTH SURFACES.  INSTEAD OF USING AN UNDER SLUNG ARANGEMENT AS THE ORIGINAL WAS, MY COUNTER SLIDES ON TOP OF THE CABINET RAIL. I USED 2 x 2 LUMBER FOR THE SPACERS AND ATTACHED 2 ½ " WIDE STRIP OF CAB. LINER TO THE SPACER TO KEEP THE COUNTER SLIDING ALONG THE CABINET RAIL. 

PHOTOS FOR EACH STEP CAN BE FOUND ON THE YAHOO COMPAC SITE (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/) IN THE PHOTOS SECTION.

THE GALLEY CAN BE SLID ALL THE WAY OUT TO USE SINK AND STOVE OR PART WAY OUT TO USE JUST THE STOVE.  WHEN CRUISING I NEED TO USE THE GALLEY OFTEN, A RAIL GOES BETWEEN THE BULKHEADS AND PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR THE GALLEY COUNTER.

I SOLD THE DOUBLE ORIGO STOVE THAT WAS PART OF THE ORIGINAL SLIDE OUT GALLEY  AND BOUGHT A SINGLE BURNER ORIGO ON EBAY ($30).  I MOVED THE ROUND SINK UP BY THE COMMODE FOR HAND WASHING AND FOUND A RECTANGULAR SINK FOR THE COUNTER.

THIS MOD SEEMS TO WORK WELL AND LOOKS GOOD. 

lon

PRUDENCE - CP23

BobK

Lon,

This looks good.  One question - will the whole unit slide in fruther than is shown in the picture "Galley 1"?

zimco

HI BOB,

THANKS.

YES IT DOES SLIDE COMPLETELY IN, FLUSH WITH THE BULKHEAD, IT ALSO SLIDE OUT FURTHER THAN SHOWN IN THE PHOTO. 
THE COUNTER IS 45" LONG , ABOUT 6 INCHES STAYS  BACK FOR SUPPORT.   WHEN I LEAVE IT IN THE PERMANENT DEPLOYED POSITION , THERE IS A TEAK SUPPORT RAIL THAT GOES FROM THE SLIDE OUT AREA TO THE BULKHEAD, THERE IS ROOM BETWEEN THE COUNTER SLIDE OUT AND BULKHEAD FOR AN ADDED DROP IN TO BE PLACED  -  ABOUT 13 " WIDE.  THAT PROVIDES A NICE STABLE GALLEY THAT IS 53 INCHES LONG WITH QUITE A BIT OF USABLE COUNTER, WHEN NOT NEEDED IT TUCKS UP NICELY OUT OF SIGHT. 

I ALMOST PUT THE GALLEY IN THE FORWARD V-BERTH AREA.  SO GLAD I DID NOT DO THAT.  THEN WE ALMOST PUT THE GALLEY AFT  OF THE BULKHEAD , THIS MEANT SACRIFICING SEATING AREA.  I AM SO GLAD WE DID NOT DO THAT EITHER.  THIS SOLUTION WORKS SURPRISINGLY WELL. 

NOW HERE IS THE REAL SURPRIZE.  IT WAS A VERY EASY PROJECT.  WHEN I FINISHED THE COUNTER FOR THE SINK AND STOVE, I MADE ONE MORE WITH OUT
CUT OUTS FOR THE OTHER SIDE , THAT WILL BE A CHART TABLE. 

COMPAC MIGHT CONSIDER THIS AS AN UPGRADE FOR THEIR BOATS, IT IS MUCH MORE FUNCTIONAL.

LON

HideAway

HideAway is hull #2.  No cabintry of any kind,  the sink area is also a step and is made of heavy plastic.  There are several recessed areas on the sink to put stuff in but we no longer use it for a sink.  Another removable step at the bottom about 6-8 inches from the sole.  The area under the sink is open - no cooler.  Since there are no cabinets we can sleep comfortably on the settees.  The V berth is now storage and I ve build in a sink with a water pump.  We use a Coleman two burner propane camp stove in the cockpit and we have a grille on the stern rail.  When we cruise we have found it easier to use smaller cooler, usually one cooler per day and no more than 4 total.  The smaller coolers are much easier to load and they make handy end tables at night.  Sleeping on the settees mean our feet are under the cockpit seats so any kind of slide out wouldn t work for us anyway.  You can see the sleeping arrangements in my video Dead Calm below.  I don t remember if the sink area is in frame but the bunks are.  HideAway is spartan by most accounts but we have become to like simplicity.

I don t understand why designers put the galley by the forward bulkhead.  The Nimbles are set up that way as well. It has to be uncomfortable, but then I don t understand the concept of cooking below decks in such a small space in the first place.  Keep in mind though we live in SW Florida so most of the time we are outside.  And when its this cold - it was 29 degrees last night - we don t sail anywhere. 

Bob23- I don t think I would move the head - balance is everything - and the head is located under the hatch. 
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/