Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Opinions on Roller Furling

Started by Mawsippi Saylah, August 23, 2010, 12:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mawsippi Saylah

Hello all,

I am new to the ComPac world but I do have a new to me 1981 Compac 23. She has a 115% working jib and i was thinking about investing in a roller furling and would like to know if any of the owners tend to prefer one brand/make over another? Are there brands/maakes I should avoid all together? Thanks for your time!

Brandon

Bob23

I have a CDI which has given me no problems whatsoever. I'm sure other 23 ers are using other brands so I'll bow out now so they can speak!
Bob23

brackish

Also have a CDI FF2 which is what the Compac yard specs as an RF option for the 23.  It has been trouble free with the exception of occasional interference between the top drum and the spinnaker halyard.  I solved that (I hope)by putting a ring at the top of the furler drum and by keeping both ends of the the spin halyard tight when not in use.

I single hand a lot and the RF a big help with that.

Ross Barnett huh, I see a Mississippi rondayvoo in the making.:)

Craig Weis

"Don't leave the dock without one. Harken '0-0'.

Mawsippi Saylah

Thanks all! I'll be looking to make a purchase sooner than later.

Mawsippi Saylah

Brakish! Yes indeed... a ron-de-voo sounds like a plan!

Brandon

SJASPERSON

I also have a Harken 0-0 and have had no problems.  My first two seasons sailing out of Cornucopia, Wisconsin were spent trusting my autohelm while up in the bow struggling to change headsails.  I think installing roller furling was the best decision I have made in connection with my 23/3.  I estimate about 80% of  the sailboats in Siskiwit Bay Marina have roller furling installed (Harken seems to be the most common).  Certainly a must if you plan to do any solo sailing.

Scott

bmiller

I know lots of people here use the CDI but I don't care for them. Of course this is based on my one single experience with them. Pooka had a CDI when we got her. IT did not work well at all, my wife could not furl the sail, it was all I could do to get it rolled up. It only took one or two days out to replace it. I was going to get a harken like we had on a previous boat, they are great. But I found a Plastimo at Sail Care for a bit less so thought why not give it a try. I'm happy to report not one single problem, at least not caused by user error. Simple to install and operate, good price.

Good luck.

newt

Another vote for Harken. My boat came with one and it has been pretty good the last 4 years.

JF AIR

Hello!
Since I had my CP23#3,I have been using old faithfull CDI FF2 wich was probably born with the boat in 1989...The cup is in rough shape, having been to often rubbing with the anchor chain or anchor arm when anchoring or de-anchoring...but hey!!! It is ugly and still there...
The only drawback so far has been that the furling line is to small and I do not get a good grip on it and it tends to ride out of my hands when under little tension...I have been trying bigger line but then, the cup is to small to hold enough lenght to opertate properly...I am now using quarter inch size
Other than that, all is shipshape so far
jf in Canada

curtisv

Adding my 2 cents.

I used to have a CDI and got rid of it and replaced with a ProFurl R25.  I got a good deal on the ProFurl since the company was in financial trouble and retailers were unloading them at the end of the season many years back.  Since then ProFurl prices have gone through the roof so I'd put my vote with the Harken, though I haven't looked at furlers in a while.

The CDI doesn't furl well when the wind really picks up.  The plastic foil doesn't have enough torsional strength and it twists badly if furled in strong winds.  Sail shape will be horrible if you try to sail on a partially furled headsail.  So if you never sail in over 20 knots, then go for the CDI.  It costs a lot less.  Otherwise look for something else.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

rip

Just came across this thread and thought it might be a good place to ask a couple of rookie questions. I don't know anything about roller furling rigs. I also just bought an '82 23. It came with two head sails. Haven't taken the time to measure them but one seems like it would be a working jib and the other a bit larger. Here are my questions: If you have roller furling does it work with both sails or is one attached permanently? Does the wire in the rf take the place of the forestay? Thanks, rip

Bob23

Rip:
   Congratulations on your new to you 23 choosing you for an owner!
   Usually, only one sail is used with the roller furling rig, no matter what the brand. You can partially roll up the jib to shorten sail up to a point but the real beauty of any roller furler is that you just roll it up when your'e done sailing. The existing forestay is used inside of the foil that comes with the furler. I'd advise if you go with a roller furler to have someone who has installed one before do the work. I am of the opinion that it's always better (and cheaper) to pay someone who knows what they are doing than try it myself, screw it up, and then pay them to unscrew it up and doe it correctly. That being said, it 's also not rocket science.
   Sounds like the boat is quite new to you. Why don't you sail her as she it, get to know the boat and then you can upgrade any time. There are plenty of guys who sail (and prefer) hanked on sails.
   Where do you sail, Rip?
Bob23 in NJ  on 1985 23/2 "Koinonia"

newt

brackish

There are plenty of guys who sail (and prefer) hanked on sails.

Yep, in my younger days on boats of the past, when I had plenty of crew, I had hank on with the most used sail in a foredeck bag always attached to the head stay.  Now that all that crew has moved on (the kids), left sailing (my old decrepit friends) or died (may they rest in peace except when they are on a beam reach in the clouds), I won't leave home without my CDI FF2 furler.  I think, particularly with the CDI, you give up some performance, but I need the ease of handling from the cockpit.