a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bristol Yacht Finish

Started by brackish, August 11, 2010, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Several months ago I finished my teak using Bristol a two part polyurethane amber finish.  Bob23 asked for a review.  Here goes:

First the good.  If you go through all the bad, it will come out beautiful and according to my friend who swears by it you only have to put one coat a season on to maintain it and it is repairable if you get a break or scuff.  Six coats of Bristol:

Now for the bad.  It is DIFFICULT to use. It is a thick coating and thinning is not recommended.  It has high brush drag.  Even with the high viscosity, it has a tendency to sag and run on vertical surfaces.  Because of the expense ($60 a quart)and pot life, and even though I have every piece of spray equipment known to man, It would be too costly to spray.  If you apply it when it is cold, hot, windy, humid, on wood that is not absolutely, positively dry it will form bubbles, many many of them. 

The way I figure it there are about two hours in October where I live where you can apply it without getting bubbles.

The directions say (practical method) to put on a minimum of five coats wet, that is an hour apart, then let it dry 24 hours and sand off all the sags, runs, bubbles, bug carcasses, dust, etc. and put the final finish coat on.

However, with all the bad, if it does have the durability and longevity, I will be satisfied and will reserve two hours every October to put on my maintenance coat.

One quart will do six coats on all the exterior teak on a ComPac 23, including the tiller.  In the heat you can mix up about three coats worth, you've got about a two-three hour pot life if you keep it covered and cool between coats.  It is hard to estimate how much to mix and any left is waste.

Clean up is with Acetone or Lacquer thinner.  Brushes are hard to clean, In fact I just threw away a Wooster.  That broke my heart.

Craig Weis

Another Good Karma for a good finish.
Your best finish starts with  Brackish. You could go into business selling these to C-P er's and the factory.

I would not be able to that. As a matter of fact I'm allowing and encouraging all my wood to return to it's natural finish, hence when that occurs I'm planning on Minwaxing it all.
Q? Is that an ST-40 or ST-60?
skip.

Bob23

Thanks, Brack:
   Just beautiful! And our yachts deserve no less than perfect. I had used Bristol a number of years ago on my old Seapearl 21 but found it didn't hold up well. Maybe I messed up in the prep because I've heard nothing but good about it since.
   I opted for Flagship varnish. Yeah, a lot of work sanding, sanding and more sanding but the result is the same mirror finish that you have. This is the 5th year for the Flagship...still looks good although I've not maintained it last year like I should have. My boat sits in the NJ sun for about 7 months a year. The rest of the time she's in her canvas pj's out of the elements.
   Thanks again,
  Bob23

brackish

Quote from: skip on August 12, 2010, 11:40:22 PM
Another Good Karma for a good finish.
Your best finish starts with  Brackish. You could go into business selling these to C-P er's and the factory.

I would not be able to that. As a matter of fact I'm allowing and encouraging all my wood to return to it's natural finish, hence when that occurs I'm planning on Minwaxing it all.
Q? Is that an ST-40 or ST-60?
skip.

Leaving it natural with periodic cleaning and oiling was my strategy on the last boat I had.  That boat about 5 minutes away, about once every three months or so, I would go spend a pleasant couple of hours on the boat, cleaner with light scrubbing, neutralizer, brightener, and then oil.  I like the look and enjoyed the process, that boat on the gulf coast and even in the winter you could find a day where it was enjoyable. 

After the brightener, you go over to the pub and get a beer while waiting for it to dry enough to oil :)

This boat 35 minutes away and generally no winter weather break.

It is an ST-40.  I like it because it has big characters for a small instrument, good for aging eyes.

Salty19

Very nice, Brack!

Time will tell if it holds up!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603