a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Electric trolling motor ?

Started by CaptRon28, July 31, 2010, 10:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

Anyone try to hook up an electric trolling motor on to a Horizon transom (or other Com-Pacs)? I found a nice 5 mile long reservoir about 10 miles from the house with a very good ramp and nice scenery around it. Only problem is they don't allow gas or motor power on it. A bunch of powerboats were on it today trolling around at around 2 knots. No sailboats with a motor though. You can buy a 50 pound thrust trolling package for under $200 and it would be great place for a day sail.

I knew it was there, but never realized you could boat on it. Average water depth is over 30 feet!
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Andrew

I have no experience with trolling motors but ran across this web page with some interesting stories/adventures with a ComPac 19. This guy has some real and theoretical experience he shares about trolling motors plus it's a great read.

http://sites.google.com/site/pocketyachtcruising/home

Hope you find this useful.

...a
former Com-Pac 16 owner

CaptRon28

Andrew -

Thanks for the link. It was a good read. If I do it - I'd only be using it when I occasionally sail in this nearby reservoir (or similar sites) - where gas or diesel is not allowed.  There is minimal current there and I don't think I'd have his problems unless I take it out in 20 knots. The inboard Yanmar is for everywhere else. The boat already has two deep cycle marine batteries and a charger. All I'd need is the motor itself.

I emailed Minn-Kota to see what they recommend (thrust wise) for a 3,000 pound 20 foot sailboat. I'm thinking 55 pounds with a 36 inch shaft. Only tricky thing would be finding a way to mount it on the transom. The transom mounted units seem to be made to clamp to a powerboat style transom. Maybe the bow mount style would work better on a sailboat transom?

My goal is to get out on the water for a few hours as quickly as possible. I'd avoid a 45+ minute drive to Barnegat Bay (NJ - and much longer in weekend shore traffic) to deal with some questionable boat ramps and shallow (and corrosive) salt water. This reservoir averages 30 feet deep and it's got one of the nicest boat ramps I've ever seen. Perhaps 100 feet wide and 80 feet long, with slips at the end. And it's ALL concrete - no gravel at all.
Ron Marcuse

Craig Weis

Stay away from anything powered by a battery. Just my thought. Includes cars, boats, planes, submarines, and dog collars. I do understand that gas powered anything is not allowed on the water. Same as Qudico [sp] North of the Boundary Waters in Canada. So go with electric my son, just don't expect too much.

skip.

CaptRon28

Skip -

To sail the boat in this lake / reservoir,  I may need electric power to get it away from the ramp and back in. I expect to run it maybe 60 seconds at a time, maybe more if the wind totally dies and I'm a quarter mile away from the ramp. I've got two deep cycle 27's on board and they can easily run a 55 pound (thrust) Minn-Kota for well over 2 hours. Hey - if the wind is right I can sail it away and maybe back into the ramp, but there are no guarentees.

What's your problem with electricity? I'd like to use the boat there and I have no real choice. Nothing runs on gas or diesel there. I saw a number of power boats with 250 hp outboards in back and they were scooting along at maybe 2 or 3 knots with the trolling motor in the water.  I may be the fastest boat there with my sail up. The sailboats tend to be Sunfish, etc.
Ron Marcuse

Salty19

Ron- Sounds like a real good plan to me.  Doesn't sound like you'll need the motor for more than, say, 10 minutes per trip barring the wind dying.   Question becomes how to mount it??  Is there room to climb into the transom from below to install a mount?  A basic garelick mount should be more than enough strength in this application.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

CaptRon28

I've got some time to think about it - will probably be a Spring 2011 project.  I tore up my shoulder about a month ago and I'll have rotator cuff surgery in about 2 to 3 weeks. That could knock me totally out of the sailing season. I've only gone out once this summer on the Horizon with a friend doing all of the mast and sail raising.

I have access to the transom, but at 210 pounds I may not make it in there. I've got some very long socket extensions if need be. First plan would be to bolt a smaller (6 x 6 ?)  adapter plate to the transom with a slide in teak or starboard mount to take the trolling motor's clamps. That way it can go almost entirely away when I'm sailing somewhere else. I'm also thinking about mounting something to the swiveling rudder head to hold the motor, giving me directional thrust as the rudder turns. Not sure if the rudder bearings will take this load though. Finally, the swim ladder is rather sturdy and I could clamp some sort of starboard plate to it to take the clamp on trolling motor (I'd lose the ladder when the trolling motor is attached though).
Ron Marcuse

Andrew

Quote from: CaptRon28 on August 02, 2010, 05:47:54 PM
Finally, the swim ladder is rather sturdy and I could clamp some sort of starboard plate to it to take the clamp on trolling motor (I'd lose the ladder when the trolling motor is attached though).

Ron....you may want to check with the reservoir ruling authority or boating rules, most time if they do not allow gas motors they also do not allow swimming so your ladder solution could be a real good mounting option.

....a
former Com-Pac 16 owner

Stray Cat

Ron- sounds like you're talking about the Manasquan Reservoir. I checked their website and they do not allow swimming like Andrew thought so using the swim ladder as a mount would work there.
I have a suncat that I keep in a slip on the Metedeconk, so if you are in need of a day on the water (while your shoulder recovers) I would be glad to take you out in exchange for some pointers on sailing as I am
new to this.
Tim

CaptRon28

Tim -

You're right about the Manasquan. That's what I was looking at for a nearby day sail. No swimming allowed either. I'm about 15 minutes away and it looks interesting. I'm getting tired of most of the lousy boat ramps (and shallow water) around here, and what they have is about 1,000 percent better. Nearly got stuck in a ramp at Ocean Gate (Barnegat Bay) several weeks ago when the back tires fell into a large powerboat prop hole. Was going to try Good Luck Point but they have about a foot of mud covering the bottom half. My first choice would be Raritan Bay but I can't find anything decent there either. Atlantic Highlands is not bad, but they're charging something like $40 a day now, and you've got to fight it out with a score of powerboaters.

The stern ladder is starting to look like the best spot for the trolling motor. Won't have to drill into the transom to mount an adapter plate or motor bracket.

I like the Metedeconk. Nice place to sail. Any decent boat ramps there? Maybe we can get together next year when my shoulder is better. I'm not all that steady now and I don't want to damage it more. Sailing will definitely be out after the surgery as well - my right arm will be in a non-movable sling for over a month.
Ron Marcuse

Stray Cat

Ron- I know this is hard to believe but I have not used a ramp in over 20 years. The slip rental at my marina included a free launch with the travel lift (there's no ramp at my marina) and I will have the boat lifted and power washed, then placed on my trailer at the end of the season.
I know there are ramps at some of the marinas along both sides of the river. You may want to check out the former Traders Cove marina on Mantoloking Rd. It's on the left before you go over the bridge. I don't think you will find anything comparable to the reservoir's ramp.
As for Raritan Bay a friend of mine uses a ramp in Keyport for his power boat.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

CaptRon28

Trolling motor bracket is finished. Used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood (painted red), stainless steel eye loops and hardware bolted to the inside of the swim ladder. Also needed a small West Marine outboard bracket to get it further out from the transom. The board is attached with wing nuts so I can remove it fairly easily.

I'll try it out at the reservoir in a week or two.  The trolling motor is a Minn Kota 55 pound thrust with a 36 inch shaft. I had coupons and rebates which lowered the price substantially. If it works out - I may eventually replace the plywood with starboard. Might look better back there.

Ron Marcuse

Bob23

Ron:
   It looks great! Yeah, you could use Starboard but the painted plywood looks fine. How's the shoulder feeling? My doc said rowing was a great reahabilative excercise and after over 600 km (indoor)  since Thanksgiving, I have no pain whatsoever.
   Hope to see you on Barnegat Bay this summer some time!
Bob23...way behind on Koinonia's to-do list.

CaptRon28

Bob -

I'm almost able to get the mast up myself. Tried today, and I almost made it. One of my sons (waiting on the cabin top for a possible mast rasing emergency) had to grab it and raise it the rest of the way. I also need a safety margin to reduce the risk of dropping it. I got it down myself though. Wasn't easy, but gravity was in my favor.  Borrowed my son's Bowflex to work out every day, including rowing exercises. I've got to be able to lift maybe 60 pounds over my head to safely do it. I used to be able to press over 200, now I'm struggling with 40. Hey, 2 months ago I could barely do 5. I'm hoping to be able to raise it singlehanded in about 2 weeks.

I might go with the starboard for a 2nd reason too - I think I can reduce the size of the board enough to make all of the steps on the ladder usable. Right now you've got to skip one - and that's a little tricky to do with a weak shoulder.
Ron Marcuse

brackish

Great idea Ron.  Nothing permanently attached to the boat and the swim ladder is still functional with the bracket on.  Took me a double take on the picture to see that the WM mount was on a cantilevered portion of the ply bracket.  Let us know how it performs when you try it out.