a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

halyards

Started by cdaxj, June 15, 2010, 03:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaxj

Line question - I was just at West Marine (which, by the way, is this the ONLY place on the planet to get boat parts, etc?  You'd think places like this would be all over the place....especially in florida??!).  Anywho, I was there getting a new main sheet line.  It's the first of a few lines on the boat that need replacing, the next being the bow anchor, then the halyards probably.  My halyard lines are working fine, but they are weathered, and a little rough on the hands.  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure my halyard line is maybe 7/16 or 3/8(?), but the chart they had on the wall indicated a boat of my size (Compac 16) would take a 1/4" line.  Does that sound right?  I guess I'm skeptical because as of now, my halyards are larger in diameter than my sheets, and if 1/4" is is correct, it'd be smaller than the sheet.  What size line should I get for the halyards?
Thanks
Chad

Greene

Searhed this site and found this post.  I don't know your 16's year, but these are for the older models. 

These specifications are for all original Com-Pac 16 models, starting in 1974 with hull #1 and continuing to until 1984 with hull #2201. The original Com-Pac 16 does not have a bowsprit, which is probably the most reliable way to differentiate them from the later models.

Basic Dimensions

Length Overall (LOA)  -  16'

Waterline Length (LWL)  -  14'

Beam  -  6'

Draft  -  1' 6"

Mast Height (Above Waterline)  -  21'

Displacement  -  1,100#

Ballast  -  450#[/list:u]

Sail Plan Geometry

Please DO NOT use these dimensions for ordering sails.  These were moved from the original CPYOA site and have been reported to be wrong.  Please go out and measure your rig to make sure you don't end up returning a sail to the sailmaker.

Sail Area  -  115ft.2

Sail Area: Mainsail  -  72ft.2

Sail Area: 110% Jib  -  43ft.2

Sail Area: 155% Genoa  -  60ft.2

"I"  -  12' 9"

"J"  -  4' 6"

"P"  -  16' 3"
(15' 3" is probably the correct measurement - ed)

"E"  -  8'

LP 110%  -  4' 11"

LP 155%  -  6' 11"

LP 165%  -  7' 5"

LP 180%  -  8' 1"[/list:u]

Rigging Specifications

Forestay Length  -  (missing)

Forestay Diameter  -  5/32"

Shroud Length  -  (missing)

Shroud Diameter  -  5/32"

Main Halyard Length  -  41'

Main Halyard Type  -  1/4" Sta-Set

Jib Halyard Length  -  38'

Jib Halyard Type  -  1/4" Sta-Set

Mainsheet Length  -  35'

Mainsheet Type  -  1/4" Sta-Set

110% Jib Sheet Length  -  27'

110% Jib Sheet Type  -  1/4" Sta-Set

155% Genoa Sheet Length  -  55'

155% Genoa Sheet Type  -  1/4" Sta-Set[/list:u]

Racing Handicaps

PHRF  -  335

Portsmouth  -  107.5[/list:u]
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

nkjohnson

Chad,

I bought a 1988 16/3 last year and basically rebuilt it. I had the same question as you and sent an email to Hutchins. Gerry replied with a list of the running rigging specs:

COM-PAC 16

MAIN HALYARD                   5/16"       41'

JIB HALYARD                    5/16"       38'

MAIN SHEET                     5/16"       35'

JIB SHEET                      5/16"       27'

GENOA SHEET                    5/16"       55'

FLASHER SHEET                  5/16"       55'

The 16/3 ran from hull number 2562 to 2759.

So I purchased all 5/16 lines. Everything fits fine with the original equipment.

Neal

cdaxj

Thanks, I'll just stick with 5/16 all the way around, that sounds good.  35' for the main sheet, huh?  Wow, I replaced the old one with the same length, which was 25', and that one seems a little long - imagine another 10' on there.  I'm eager to measure the halyards on board, because I feel like my jib halyard is too short, and my main, just about right - even though I plan to lengthen both.  The good thing about keeping them the same size width, is I know I can get all the same color, as I'm a fan of uniformity.  Although, is there any reason I want the halyards different from the others?  I'm not sure why you would, but that's my set up now.

Quote from: nkjohnson on June 15, 2010, 05:04:36 PM
Chad,

I bought a 1988 16/3 last year and basically rebuilt it. I had the same question as you and sent an email to Hutchins. Gerry replied with a list of the running rigging specs:

COM-PAC 16

MAIN HALYARD                   5/16"       41'

JIB HALYARD                    5/16"       38'

MAIN SHEET                     5/16"       35'

JIB SHEET                      5/16"       27'

GENOA SHEET                    5/16"       55'

FLASHER SHEET                  5/16"       55'

The 16/3 ran from hull number 2562 to 2759.

So I purchased all 5/16 lines. Everything fits fine with the original equipment.

Neal

Bob Condon

West marine is one option but a very expensive one. (make sure you sign up for discount card)

Two places I use often when I don't need to pick it up today are:

www.defender.com  (they have great sales online while the boat shows are around)
www.hamiltonmarine.com   (have stores in Maine but are working-person store... excellent prices and a wide
variety of products... ask for a catalog!)

There used to be lots of overstock or used stores up in Mass also but they are gone.
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Salty19

I like to have every line on the boat a different color.  Why?  Makes rapid identification easier, and often helps to untangle lines that are only slightly amuck instead of making things worse.  This is especially helpful for the admiral who is not exactly inclined on such things. She's in charge of the downhaul, docklines and jib sheet when on the boat...so there is no mixup what lines to adjust/stow as she's grained in the right color in her head.   I imagine this is much less important and unnecessary on our simple boats than larger yachts. 

I've noticed many of the sailboats in my marina are doing the same thing.

Strangely enough, the specs on earlier CP16's call for 1/4" lines all the way around. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob Condon

Salty

My lines are different colors because if you go sailing with folks
that do not sail, you can tell them to lift the sail with the halyard
or the blue and white rope...

I also use different colors for the reef lines, then you do not get confused when
trying to reef that sail and the winds are climbing.

For lines, anything that is in the hand is 5/16 or bigger because "it feels good in the hand". The
bigger the line, the less likely it will dig into your hand even with gloves... Just make sure that the
line fits all the blocks it needs to go through.   1/4" always dug into my hand

Bob
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

cdaxj

All good points on the colors.  I'll take that into consideration.
Thanks.
Chad

NateD

The previous owner rigged my 16 with 3/8" lines all the way around, which was serious overkill and the mainsheet wouldn't play out fast enough through the blocks. So I re-rigged with 5/16" this spring and it seems to be working well. I'm sure 1/4" would be more than adequate, especially for halyards, but as others have said a thicker line is easier on the hands so I would stick with 5/16" for sheets.

Ditto what others have said on colors too. Easy to tell crew which line to pull, easy to identify quickly or untangle.

jpfx

I bought a replacement set for a CP-16 I from hutchins last summer. They were ordered special because they had none in stock. I didn't know any better at the time but they were pretty much all 3/8" and practically unusable. That's what hutchins sent for the my boat... They didn't fit in the mast cleats or sheaves. Consequently, they were never installed and I'm still using the old rigging which is good enough.
I will be purchasing 1/4" for the halyards and maybe 5/16 for the main sheet when the time comes.

Bob Condon

The 3/8 would make fine docklines or just extra line to hae on board for rafting, etc
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226