a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New-to-me Compac 16 and a cabin question

Started by cdaxj, June 06, 2010, 03:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaxj

Hey gang - brand new to the site, brand new to Compac, and brand new to sailing.  I've wanted to try sailing ever since I moved to the coast here in Tampa, and last week finally got my chance when someone gave me a very sailable 1976 Compac 16.  We sailed her up from Bellair Bluffs Beach to Dunedin, about 10 miles and man what a boat!  Very excited.

The only thing I'd like to change about the boat is that a previous owner completely gutted the cabin - except for the middle support pole.  Does anyone happen to have or know of some plan specs for rebuilding the cabin?  I'm not wanting to do anything fancy, really just want to put in a single level deck down there that I can use for beds or gear storage - but mainly for my kids to get in and out of the sun.  I'd probably add some sort of shelf up front too. 

Also, where is the best place to store a battery?  The boat has lights/wiring but no battery and the wiring needs to be cleaned up.  I've also heard of lights you can install that have their own batteries to them, making the big boat battery unecesary - any help there?
Thanks!
Chad

Billy

Welcome! You will find lots of info on this site. Also, in case you didn't know, Hutchins (the company that makes these beautiful boats) is right in our back yard. They are in Clearwater one block west of Belcher B/w Sunset and Coachman. They can get you anything you need. And Gerry (pronounced Jerry) is very helpful and nice. I live in Palm Harbor on Lake Tarpon and have a 16 and a 19. We should meet up sometime for a sail. This is the place to sail these boats as they were made for this area.

To answer your question about the battery, My '81 16 doesn't have lights so I'm not sure about the batt. location. I use portable batt powered lights for the 16 and on my 19, the battery is in the starboard locker. I would suggest placing the batt. behind the companionway steps.

As for the cabin, you could get the wood from Compac and instal it yourself or they would be happy to do it as well.

I usually sail North of the Dunedin causeway (3 Rooker and Anclote) but would be willing to put in at Seminole Boat Ramp and meet you in your neck of the woods sometime.

Again, welcome, and the more you have your boat the more you will like it!!!

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Welcome the forum.  Com-pacs are great little boats.  If you're starting from a fresh slate so to speak in the cabin, put the battery as far forward as possible.  It will help balance the boat, CP16's are somewhat tail heavy to begin with.  In fact, put all your heavy equipment far forward (fire extinguisher, anchor/chain, etc). You'll be glad you did.  Under the companionway is a nice place for a porti potti, FYI

Sorry not help on the battery powered lights. 

The standard boat has two berths on each side, a shelf extending the width of the cockpit, about 3 feet long and another way up front separated by a bulkhead.  I'm sure if you ask folks can post pics for you.  Actually if you look around you'll find them.

Good luck with the boat and learning to sail! 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cdaxj

Thanks Billy - I'd love to sail sometime.  If you sail N of the Dunedin causeway, you're actually already in my neck of the woods.  I live just on the north side of the causeway and have it moored at my place - you can actually see the causeway, I'm right next to it.  I'm heading up to north honeymoon/3 rooker on Thursday, actually, to take the family out.

Also, yes I knew Hutchins was local, but haven't been over there - do they have a store, or is it just offices, shop, etc?

Where do you get the portable battery powered lights?  I've heard of these, but am yet to locate any.
Thanks!
Chad

Quote from: Billy on June 06, 2010, 04:38:54 PM
Welcome! You will find lots of info on this site. Also, in case you didn't know, Hutchins (the company that makes these beautiful boats) is right in our back yard. They are in Clearwater one block west of Belcher B/w Sunset and Coachman. They can get you anything you need. And Gerry (pronounced Jerry) is very helpful and nice. I live in Palm Harbor on Lake Tarpon and have a 16 and a 19. We should meet up sometime for a sail. This is the place to sail these boats as they were made for this area.

To answer your question about the battery, My '81 16 doesn't have lights so I'm not sure about the batt. location. I use portable batt powered lights for the 16 and on my 19, the battery is in the starboard locker. I would suggest placing the batt. behind the companionway steps.

As for the cabin, you could get the wood from Compac and instal it yourself or they would be happy to do it as well.

I usually sail North of the Dunedin causeway (3 Rooker and Anclote) but would be willing to put in at Seminole Boat Ramp and meet you in your neck of the woods sometime.

Again, welcome, and the more you have your boat the more you will like it!!!

cdaxj

Just by way of update - I sailed the boat on Monday all by myself; first time sailing solo.  I was out for about 4 hours, maybe 5, and had no problems at all.  In fact, I didn't even have to fire up the motor to get her in or out (she's moored).  It's a really easy to sail boat, and I absolutely love it!
Chad

Billy

Sorry I won't be able to make it Thurs, but maybe this weekend.

There really isn't a "store" but they do have a few books and t shirts. Mostly a factory w/ just 2 offices. You should stop by. It is fun and they are nice. Plus you can see the new boats being made!

I know Cabellas sells the lights and I think Overtons too. And as a last resort (always a last resort) check West Marine online. Mine came w/ the boat.

I'll look for your boat next time I'm out.

seatime

Welcome new sailor...where ever you place it, make sure the battery is secure and will not  move or topple if you are caught in heavy weather. Do this with all your stowage.

The interior is yours to rteflect your personal taste. Go to a lumber yard and buy 1/4 X2" inch strips of wood to your liking and  (toung and groove looks good) and epoxy stringers to the bulkheads with which to secure it. Do the same to the sole or carpet it...have cushions made to size (make your own if you are handy)  and there you have it...a custom interior.

Hard sails and tight halyards to ya!

Seatime

cdaxj

Great advice, thanks!  Hey, what does, "epoxy stringers to the bulkheads" mean? :D
CJ

Quote from: seatime on June 08, 2010, 06:09:48 PM
Welcome new sailor...where ever you place it, make sure the battery is secure and will not  move or topple if you are caught in heavy weather. Do this with all your stowage.

The interior is yours to rteflect your personal taste. Go to a lumber yard and buy 1/4 X2" inch strips of wood to your liking and  (toung and groove looks good) and epoxy stringers to the bulkheads with which to secure it. Do the same to the sole or carpet it...have cushions made to size (make your own if you are handy)  and there you have it...a custom interior.

Seatime

Billy

"snfff snfffff" I smell 3 footits......
The 19s are much larger. I especially notice when standing in the companionway.

oceanoutdoors

Ours has a shelf ahead of the post, easily sleep kids there, and berths-we are adding cushions as we speak, is very shipshape and roomy ..previous owner did the mods...be glad to send you pics sometime.  We overnight her some, one issue is the berths tilt forward/down when in them, not good for acid reflux, working on adding weight to stern when sleeping but is an experiment.
Battery in anchor locker, ours has extensive LEDs and a control panel for wiring on anchor locker bulkhead.

R

don l

Welcome,  we have a 16, and this is our 3rd year.  She will spend the summer at the slip, where the wife and I go.  I am very glad we started sailing.  The best to you and your crew.

cajun

seatime

Stringers aint  a good choice of words...use what carpenters call ferring strips epoxied to the sides of the cabin interior....they can be pieces of wood 1/4 to 1/2 inches thick x 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. Mkae sure you scrape the paint off the walls (bulkheads) in the area you apply the epoxied ferring strips. After the ferring strips are set, just tack the wood of your choice in place. Use glue as well... (I used solid cherry 1/2 x 1 1/2 strips)...

Don't (never) use hardware store stuff made for houses and or/or auto parts store materials...your boat and it's interior will demade the best grade of materials you can find...that way you will be ensured of many many years of service.

In sailing...trusting yourself is as important as trusting yer boat laddie....do it right the first time and go learn to sail her real sweetly...

Use good marine stuff...and she will bring you home in many a blow.

Seatime

Quote from: cdaxj on June 09, 2010, 09:23:07 PM
Great advice, thanks!  Hey, what does, "epoxy stringers to the bulkheads" mean? :D

Quote from: seatime on June 08, 2010, 06:09:48 PM

Seatime

Kon Kika

Welcome, Chad!

I envy your free boat find. That's awesome, and the CP-16 is a fun boat. I'm located in Palm Harbor and just recently sold a 1978 CP-16 after considerable modifications and updates. If you are interested, I would be more than happy to meet up somewhere over coffee and provide you with the low-down on the original cabin layout and share any of my other experiences with the CP-16 . There are a few pics of my former CP-16 out on www.sailingtexas.com from when I had her up for sail.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac16181.html

One of the pics includes an interior shot that will give you a sense of what the interior looks like. I've seen many variations and modifications on other boats, so you sort of have a clean slate to work with.

Just let me know if you want to meet up somewhere. I'm just around the corner.

Jimbo

don l

kickingbug1

i made short ramps to fit under the head end of the cushions. that way my pillow is on the shelf next to the compression post. being 6'5" i wanted to get my hips out of the "pipe" so i could move arround a bit.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"