- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1978 Com-Pac - $1000 - Port Charlotte Florida

Started by ted_h, June 04, 2010, 02:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted_h

Here is a posting for a Com-Pac 16 in Florida:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/1772678754.html

Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll give you the lady's email.
She is settling her father's estate and needs to sell it by next Wednesday (6-8-10), so if you are interested you will need to act fast. She doesn't know a lot about the boat, but she did tell me that there is a motor and there are sails. She has a couple more photos if you request them. The word Com-Pac is not in the ad, I just stumbled across it. I told her to add "Com-Pac" to the listing to generate more interest. I would be looking into it, but I just struck a deal for another Com-Pac 16 and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Email me if you can't find the link: ted_h at comporium.net
I have no affiliation with this boat. I thought it would be nice to help her out and someone else like myself that needs and affordable way to get started sailing.

Ted

carry-on

Thanks for the heads up. I thought it was newer than '78 because of the bow sprit , but the owner read me the HIN and it is a 1978.
I am just too far. Unless there is real hull terouble, i expect it will be sold tomorrow.
Tom
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

ted_h

Yeah, the distance was a problem for me. I looks like someone will get a good deal. If someone from the forum buys it, I'd like to hear about it.

I wonder if the bow sprit can be retro fitted pretty easily? I understand that it also a bigger jib and that helps with point higher.

Ted

carry-on

About four years ago, the bow sprit kit for a CP-19 was about $570. I estimate the 16 would be 80% of this cost. Also, I think you would need to change the pulpit and the jib to make a balance gain. The pulpit may have been changed on this boat. I can't tell from the pictures. If the job was done well, it is quite an improvement.
The sellers say the sails are original. Even Hutchins Co. says that the sail cloth in the 70's models was poor. Regardless after thirty-two years, sails are in order.
Anyway, you gave them VG advice to add the name COMPAC. Like saying I have an old guitar...BTW it's a Martin.
Tom
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

olesalt

Is this boat still for sale? and are there any pictures of it?
olesalt

rwdsr

1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

GlennB724

Rwdsr,

WOW... just followed the link to the photos of your cp16.  WOW again!  NICE job!  I've been there, (refurbished a '89 cp 16) so I can appreciate all your efforts.

rwdsr

Thank you, but my brother-in-law in Knoxville did all the hull work.  He is a real master at what he does, and he knows sailing too!  I would probably have not been able to do that good a job.  I did however do the interior work in the cabin. and that turned out rather well also.  Because of the water laying in the cabin for the 5 years it sat tied up to the dock, everything was rotted and pulled apart.  I had to cut all that out and rebuild from the concrete up.  I bought one of those Harbor Freight special cutting tools, and i hope to tell you, if you are cutting through wood and fiberglass, that's the thing to have.  What I didn't expect though, is that everyone in the family loves sailing, including the wife.  The problem is that she can't sit in the cockpit for very long because of her legs and back. and it gets crowded with 4 adults, 1 seven year old grand daughter, and a teacup poodle.  Sooooo - I've got to get a bigger boat.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to sell the 16, I've got a bassboat, the 16 and a Sunfish.  I never in my life dreamed that I would have that many boats, not to mention a sailboat of all things.  Life is good.  Would like to get a 19 or 23, but that's kind of out of my price range, so am thinking of maybe a Catalina 22 or equivalent.  Anyone out there want to buy my 16?  Breaks my heart, but I can't have them all.
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

newt

brackish

rwdsr said:

Sooooo - I've got to get a bigger boat.

Here's a 19.  Doubt it will last long at this price.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19116.html

rwdsr

LOL - well, gonna give the Sunfish to my grandson.  I want him to learn to sail it and then I'll teach him to skipper my boat, and then I can ride and let him do the work.

olesalt

Great lookin boat.  I just sent you an e-mail

olesalt

lostsailor101

Rwdsr,

BobD,

I understand you wanting to move up, that's the same thing I was hoping to do, but we decided to keep our CP16 for another season or two. We invested some cash into new sails and an Idasailor rudder, along with a few other odds and ends.  A good friend of mine has a paint shop and made me an offer I don't want to refuse.... if I purchase the paint he would provide the labor and paint my boat.  He is willing to do this because of all the fishing we have done on my skiff.  What I would like to know is what type paint did you use. I really like the way your boat turned out. I probably need to phrase this in a form of a question and post it on the 16 forum, to get input from others who have experience painting their Com-Pacs...sorry Newt

best regards,

GlennB724

I had excellent results using Interlux Pre-Kote primer, and Brightside Polyurethane finish coat.  I used grey primer under green for the hull, and white primer under Hatteras off white for decks, cockpit and cabin trunk.  I didn't have the advantage of a professional paint shop and equipment, but I bought a Wagner HVLP spray painter, and it worked really well, right there in my driveway, (windless days).  I imagine with pro equipment and knowledge, your finish would be even better.

rwdsr

I don't know exactly what kind of paint it was.  My brother in law did the work and when I asked him how much the paint was, he said, "Don't ask, you and I couldn't afford it".  I believe that it was some that he had left over from a bigger job and it was either use it or lose it.  I'm sur glad he had it.