a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Magic Tilt Trailers

Started by bob lamb, February 18, 2005, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob lamb

Does anyone have any experience using a magic tilt trailer?  It seems those who have them never use the feature.  Wonder what the advantage/disadvantage of the tilt featuer is??

Bob
CP23

Bill Pfanstiel

I have a magic tilt trailer for my CP23 as well. I've had the boat for a year and have yet to use this feature. Lake Nockamixon,in southeast Pa. has fairly steep ramps and I use a four wheel drive truck, so I have not had to tilt the trailer. When we took the boat to the Chesapeake where the water was a little shallow we just had to crank a little harder on the winch. If you have trouble I would think that a extension on the trailer would beof more value. I hope this helps

Bill Pfanstiel
CP23/II #427
Sunpuddles

bob lamb

Thanks Bill,  I appreciate the info.  One more question please:  how far into the water does the trailer need to be to launch/retrieve the boat?  (depth, that is).  
  I'm going to Florida next month to get my 89 CP23 and plan to sail the Gulf a few days...thus, my concern about trailer and ramp depth.  I'm hauling with a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee (2 wheel drive).  Maybe I'll look into an extension???

Bob

B.Hart

I have a magic tilt trailer for my 16, that I have modified alot. Forget the tilt and go with the extension. My next improvment will be a slider tounge,to make it easier to stretch,but for now I'm using a extension.The trailer has to be backed down untill the side bunks are under water,then the boat floats on or off easly.