a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loose Footed Main Sail Video

Started by HideAway, May 28, 2010, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Shawn, if you have a out haul on a pulley- that should be all that you need. What do the others feel about this?

Bob23

Matt:
  In your video, you inadvertantly gave us a sneek preview of your self steering setup. I'd like to get more info on how it's run, how it works, etc. I haven't converted the sail to a loose footed main yet although I have the slug...been involved with evaluating my new rudders perfomance.
  Thanks for the vid.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Shawn on June 12, 2010, 01:38:36 PM
Anyone happen to know the size of the sail slug on the 23s main? My main doesn't have one and I want to add it to give loose foot a try.

Thanks,

Shawn

Dimension on mine are as follows:

Diameter:  Just under 1/2" actually measures .470
Length:  2"
SS strap insert OAL:  1-1/4"
SS strap height from composite barrel:  1/2"

Strap insert is to attach to the clew with a heavy canvas strap.

Hope this helps

Shawn

Newt,

I do have a 2:1 like in the video but I want the slide to keep the clew of the sail down to the boom. Otherwise when I let out the outhaul it will be going up as well as just out.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn

Thanks for the dimensions, I'll see what I can find that is close to that.

Shawn

HideAway

The sail slide I bought from West Marine after we broke several one windy day.  A metal one would be better for the main sail clew.

Its hard to see on the video but I actually have a three part tackle due to how the line runs.  It seems to do the trick.

Bob I don't remember who we bought the self steering gear from-- it was at a boat show in St Petersburg years ago.  I'll see if I can get a photo this weekend.   It is a line attached to a ss spring.  The ends of the line have knots tied in them with spaces to add strength. The knob on the tiller came with the unit and is slotted to hold the line but not let the knots slip through.   The spring makes the small adjustments of waves and wind gusts.  You could probably rig something using strong shock cords and a couple of blocks. 

I have another video that shows the set up better but utube has lost my password - not a problem you say -- well they say I have to sign in via google since may account is linked- only problem is -- its not linked..... around we go ... most companies have an easy fix - utube google -- they won't let you talk to a human and none of thier fixes work --- anybody know another place I can post videos to???    Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Shawn

"Its hard to see on the video but I actually have a three part tackle due to how the line runs.  It seems to do the trick."

How do you have it run? I tried to see this in the video but it looks like one end of the line is tied to the end of the boom, runs through the block on the clew, to the block on the end of the boom then forward to the cleat. If that is how you have it run it is a 2:1 system, only two lines working on the load (sail). The third line (back to the cleat) is on the anchor and is simply changing direction, not giving a mechanical advantage.

If you are tied to the clew, go to the block on the end of the boom, to the block on the clew then back to a cleat it would be a 3:1 system as three lines are working on the load. Do you have another block on the boom turning the line to go forward to the cleat?

Shawn

HideAway

Shawn
The third line goes to the cleat- the problem is it is difficult to pull the line forward.  I need to put a cheek block forward of the cleat then I could pull the line back instead of pushing the line forward.    The only way to get the 3;1 is to move the line directly forward to the cleat - can't use the cleat to change the direction because the friction is too great.   There seems to be good power either way - but the cheek block is the ansewer to getting a 3;1 that is easier to achieve.
not sure how much sense that makes.... Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

zc6840

Hello All, Last season I bought a Rolly Tasker main for my C P 16 Mark One and installed it using the bolt rope. This year I decided to make use of the slug at the clew and have been sailing loose footed,albeit in light breezes. The difference seemed  considerable,  but I thought perhaps I had forgotten just how the boat responded  last season. This thread has convinced me otherwise . The CP 16 of the vintage of mine won no prizes for sailing close to the wind, but one can get a lot closer loose footed than attaching with the bolt rope . Other  owners of old model 16's might be pleasantly surprized. RTH.

Rob

I have a 16 with a loose footed main I realy do like it , I made a small car useing 2 sail slugs that ride in the boom track as a outhual .That works  well for me .Ill try to post some pics of the differnt types I tryed .   Rob

nies

Well ,got the sail slug, line and pulley......fun experiment, but didn't work very well as the topping lift had to be attached to the boom, otherwise got hit in the head as the aft end of the boom sagged so low that it required a" duck" or else you got hit.............played with sail shape but still the rope in the boom worked just as well if not better...............maybe I am missing something, well try again if for no other reason it was fun to try something different....the 16's sail was designed to be attached to the boom ..................Phil

CaptRon28

Quote from: nies on June 24, 2010, 10:49:32 PM
the aft end of the boom sagged so low that it required a" duck" or else you got hit

Sounds like something is wrong. I don't know the 16, but the average sloop needs a topping lift on the boom mainly when the main sail is furled. The leech will otherwise hold the boom up, regardless of whether the sail is loose footed or not. If you needed the line to hold the boom up either way, it appears that the leech is too long and the sail is not really capable of holding a reasonable shape when flying. The sheet and/or vang should be holding the leech tight with the boom pulled down. Up is the wrong direction.

Or did you mean that the boom is too low when the main is furled?
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

nies

End of boom hangs down when sail is raised when loose footed......if you pull sail tight enough to hold the aft end of boom up you might as well have the sail in the slot of the boom............Phil

CaptRon28

The purpose of the loose foot is to allow the foot of the sail to develop a curve as far down as the boom. A bolt rope prevents that. There should be virtually no force on the sail's foot pulling down (or up) at any other point than the leech and luff. The outhaul will allow you do change that curve - tighter as the wind picks up.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

nies

Thanks Ron, hasn't rained in seven years and now it won't stop, Hayward, Wisc. has been in a drought and lake levels have been at a all time low, when it stops raining I will play with the loose footed sail again................Phil