a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I'm considering an eclipse and need some help

Started by bigman, May 17, 2010, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigman

Hi. I'm a new member. I'm considering buying a new eclipse and am wondering about a couple of things.

Can 4 adults comfortably fit in the cockpit? Have any of you sailed with more than 4 adults?

Regarding the centerboard, I understand that it doesn't add much ballast and is used for upwind performance. But, when you use the centerboard, do you need to fully lower it or can it be set to any position between fully retracted and fully down? I'll be sailing in some shallow waters and so would not want it fully down all the time.

Most of my sailing will be done around the AL shore (including Mobile Bay) and FL panhandle (Perdido Bay, Pensacola Bay). Anybody from around there?

Currently I'm residing in central WI, about 75 miles NE of Madison. If anyone is close to me I'd love to see your eclipse close up.

Thank you!

newt

Welcome Bigman. There are a few owners in your area- but I am not sure how many are Eclipse owners. I have a 23 and 4 is about what I like to sail with...

Glenn Basore

Big MAn,

Welcome to our forum, its a great place for information.

I own a 2006 Eclipse, she is a great boat, easy to trailer, set up, launch and sail.

As to your questions, Four adults can be done, a little tight because of the tiller length.

The stainless steel center board is great, very easy to raise or lower to what ever possition you require.

I sail off the cost of Ventura, California and really enjoy the open waters of the Pacific.

I only day sail , no over nighters (as yet).......

Glenn

gmerrill

Big Man

i own a com-pac legacy.  we sail out of perdido bay and pensacola bay.  our condo is in perdido key.  heading down end of june
1st of july if you are around be glad to take you out.  my email is gregsauto@bellsouth.net if you need more info.  also a another
compac owner who lives in mobile.   i 'm considering moving up to a larger boat, and the eclsispe was my 1st look.  for an overnighter
i think 2 adults would max it out.  the 23/4 is a nice rig.  the reviews are good well built.  not to good windward and some complaints
about being a little bumpy.  but hey everybodies got noses and opinions.  the guys at compac are real nice and are good about helping you out
when you need it

good shopping
greg

bigman

Thanks for the responses guys. Greg, we won't be going back to AL till probably mid September. Will you be there then?

Billy

I have a 19 (Eclipse w/ a transom). It fits 4 adults nicely. I've also done overnighters w/ my wife and our 2 Doberman Pinschers. Plenty of room!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

bigman

Billy: Do you happen to know how long the seats are in your cockpit?

Glenn Basore

width = 52 inches

length = 64 inches

from companion way to end of transon 80 inches

because of the curve shape these are averages except for the 80 inches which is true length.

Glenn

Craig Weis

bigman just how big are you? Four adults would be tight. Some one is always on the low side.
I like the Eclipse. Hard to live with no transom for us traditionalists. And no deck to walk fwd on.
I need a deck like my CP-19.

skip.