Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Dumb Newbie Question about Launching with Tides

Started by Tim F, May 10, 2010, 04:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim F

I'm sure this is a dumb beginner question but here goes:

Do you find launching your CP16 is sensitive to the tides. I have a stock 1988 trailer and I'm wondering how much latitude I have with launching at slack to low tides? I know this depends on the ramp one uses and the tidal swings but I'm getting ready for my first launching and I'm wondering if I have to avoid low tides for launching and retrieval. For instance I'm considering going out this weekend. Here's the prediction:

05/16/2010 Sun 12:10AM LDT 6.1  L  04:53AM LDT 7.6  H  12:16PM LDT -2.2 L  08:48PM LDT 8.5  H 

Seems like bad timing to me.

Thanks for any advice.

-Tim

Billy

Is you concern with the ramp or running aground? If you have 4wd the ramp shouldn't matter. The ramp is typ. wetter (more slick) at a lower tide.

launching is easier than retreaving. And seeing that the tide will be going out in the AM (launching) and coming back in in the PM (retreiving) you should be ok at the ramp.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Tim:
   No dumb questions allowed here! Unless you agree to dumb answers, in which case I'll offer one. I'd be more concerned with the current (tidal flow). If your tide predictions are correct, you have almost a 10 foot range which would mean some strong currents. Make sure your motor runs well in case you need to motor back into an oncoming tide.
   Where do you sail?
Bob23

Tim F

The above prediction is for near Anacortes, Washington.

Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have 4WD I'm a little nervous about the first retrieval...seems like everyone I talk to has some story about watching a guy launch is truck at the ramp.

Greene

We have had almost no trouble launching our 16. ("Almost" means a certain captain felt it would be OK to leave the rudder down "this time" when we launched.)  We have easily launched it with a V6 minivan and a cheap little 4cyl. Suzuki SUV.   We didn't find it needed any better launch/ramp than our standard 18' I/O powerboat.  We never used an extender or spun a tire.  Even if you did have an issue pulling it out, other boaters are always willing to lend a hand or truck.

So, if you would feel comfortable putting a powerboat in then I wouldn't sweat putting a 16 in too much.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

mrb

Welcome Aboard Tim F

How near  Anacortes are you launchingand are you launching close to anything like Deception pass.  In your area if you have plenty of water to float your boat at low tide the question should be how much slack water time can you expect on either side of launch and retrieval time.  High slack is of coarse easier time to launch and pick up but low water slack in most areas should not be a problem.  Check ramp for sea weed and slime and if all looks good give it a try, and of coarse seek local knowledge.  I've launched at Deception Pass state park with no problem but watch those currents.  Oak Harbor has a good launch also and don't have a current problem.

Have you much previous boating experience.

Congratulations on the boat and much good wind to you.
Melvin

Tim F

Thanks for the advice Melvin.

I was planning on launching from Washington Park at the western tip of Anacortes. I looked into Deception Pass but decided I wanted to avoid the strong currents. I'll check out Oak Harbor even though it is probably twice the driving distance.

-Tim